09-25-2020, 08:12 PM   #8
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M FUELED View Post
I’ve encountered someone who has a used exhaust I’d like to purchase For about $1900 plus $200 shipping but they’re in Italy and I am in TX, USA. I am worried that I’ll get screwed over with Customs fees, tariffs etc. As mentioned, this is a used exhaust system from a private seller and shipping straight to my home, no sea ports etc.

Anybody done any shipping from these countries lately that can give some advice? Thanks
@M FUELED You are close to the line between informal entry and formal entry. It's best to be far from the line on the informal entry side, or go the formal entry route. Don't get close to the line and hope it clears as an informal entry. Formal entry requires hiring a customs broker and paying duty and tariff, if one applies.

Declared value below $800 is a no-duty informal entry. You may be required to pay duty on your proposed purchase. Unless you can negotiate a price far less than what you wrote in the original post. I have purchased items from Japan and Germany in this category and have had no problems with freight, customs, duty or tariffs.

https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-impo...rnet-purchases

International Postal Service: Merchandise shipped through the international postal service is forwarded upon its arrival in the United States to one of U.S. Customs and Border Protection International Mail Branches for clearance. If the item is less than $2,000 in value and is not subject to a quota or is not a restricted or prohibited item, a CBP official will usually prepare the paperwork for importing it, assess the proper duty, and release it for delivery. This procedure is generally referred to as a mail entry. Packages whose declared value is under $800 ($100 if being sent as a gift to someone other than the purchaser) will generally be cleared without any additional paperwork prepared by CBP. However, CBP always reserves the right to require a formal entry for any importation and generally exercises this option if there is something unusual about the importation, or if important documents such as an invoice or bill of sale do not accompany the item.

Last edited by chassis; 09-25-2020 at 10:34 PM..
Appreciate 3
zx10guy5139.00