View Single Post
      10-05-2020, 05:21 PM   #44
six75LT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
As someone who stepped down as a tech CTO who worked at a company focused on data collection, there are a lot of things you can do to still enjoy the benefits of social media without giving them everything. As zx10 mentioned there are great support group resources (I was on a similar group for a specific condition I suffer from that used Yahoo until Yahoo finally axed groups) and other reason that make it a useful too for some.

1 - Use false information. Minimize what you put into the platform. Any data you contribute just grows the web of information they can collect. Un-tag yourself from photos that you might be tagged in.
2 - Disable every permission you can from the app. This is especially true for location, bluetooth, camera, and microphone. Enabling your microphone DOES allow them to listen to you while you use the app. If you ever talked about a topic then got ads for it moments later, this is not coincidence. They can use high frequency tones emitted during a TV show to figure out what show you have on in the background.
3 - Use tools more focused towards privacy, Mozilla, Duckduckgo, adblock etc are all useful ways of limiting what cookies and other information can link you across sites.

As the documentary gets into, there are plenty of useful reasons for social media, whether its looking at new M3 posts while taking a dump or sharing moments with your family members who you can't see while quarantined.

The problem as they point out is that middle aged men aren't the big problem. It's my 10 year old niece who is going to have to deal with these demons.
i guess technically it can "allow" them to listen, but that doesn't mean that they do. that would require a serious amount of data (to record and send every single second of every conversation of every single FB user). people do bring that up a lot... "i was talking to my friend about XYZ and then minutes later i got an ad about it!"... but they neglect the part where they searched about XYZ the night before, or in some way have shown interest toward XYZ.
Appreciate 0