04-28-2017, 12:53 PM   #110
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235 View Post
Ti is fast and a big improvement over my 1070. I went with the MSI 1080Ti Armor OC edition.

Stay away from this specific card as it runs very hot without large amounts of air flow in the case.

My old case only had one intake fan and one exhaust fan. CPU was air cooled as well. In that case my 1070 would peak around 75*c. In the same case the MSI Ti would hit ~88-90*c. This would throttle down the card more than I liked. Running an aggressive fan curved helped a little, but still too hot for my liking.

Also as a test I down clocked the card by 400mhz and still hit temps of 85* on the stock fan curve.

So I decided to get back to my gaming roots with my son and build a new setup.

Went with the Corsair 740 case. Stuck liquid cooling on the CPU and the Ti card. Now the card never gets above 50* and that's with it running a OC at 2050mhz (not throttling at these temps obviously) and 6000mhz memory.

Front fans are intake fans. Switched the rear exhaust fan to intake. The top and bottom radiators/fans are set to exhaust. Brings tons of cool air in the case and the hot air that passes over the radiators is expelled out of the case.

Even with all the fans it's quieter than my old setup (2 case fans, CPU fan, GPU fan). The fan on the Ti card would end up going to 100% to try and keep the card cool. Sounded like a jet engine.

Now I don't have to game with the headphones on if I don't want to.

I run this on a 30" 4k 70hz monitor (over clocked the monitor refresh rate).
Interesting. I have the MSI 1080 gaming x, and the temps are pretty stable. Wish I waited for the Ti but oh wells. Still eats up whatever I've thrown at it so far.
Appreciate 0