06-23-2020, 08:25 AM   #73
PABrian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9M71 View Post
Wonder if they can do a similar integration for cars already equipped with connectedrive! Would be a nice update to the f series
F-chassis cars don't have NFC, so this wouldn't just be an update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJMartinez View Post
It's a bummer that this will only work on the mentioned model lines manufactured after July 1, 2020. Probably has something to do with using the U1 chip on iPhone, not just the car's NFC (how Android uses the feature).

It's lack of hardware foresight like this that allowed Tesla to disrupt the auto industry by adding new features to ALL models, old and new, with OTA updates.

One thing I wonder about this is how will it work with valet when you only brought your phone?
Just bring your key or Digital Key Card when you know you're going to valet? Not that big of a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roch M4 View Post
I can unlock my car with the BMW Connected Drive App on a 2017 Iphone SE...why do I need a need a new phone or new app...anyway why bothering with that when you have comfort access...there's no need to take you phone to unlock the car...just use the handle and in 1/10 s it's open with confort access!
It isn't a new app. It works like Apple Pay and uses NFC. Unlocking your car with the Connected App uses the cellular network to tell BMW's servers to send a signal to the car to unlock. There's zero communication directly from your phone to the car.

The idea is to have one less thing in your pocket. Don't like it? Just don't use it...pretty simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicBread View Post
I feel like you're reaching for something to complain about here....
You pretty much summed up a lot of the Bimmerpost forums...
Appreciate 0