sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Can we forget about autonomous driving and just teach (i.e. force) people to drive better. Have real, rigorous tests for vehicle control and traffic situational awareness. And the ones that can't learn, let them telecommute.
But... why the hate of EV!?!

I could not agree more. It's like the government has given up when it comes to continued drivers education. I remember taking a one semester course almost 20 years ago when I was 15, then one "final exam" the day I turned 16 at the DMV... nothing since. Good news is, driving as we know it/texting/the laws/vehicle speed potential certainly hasn't changed over those 20 years

That said, the current state of drivers on the road is ridiculous. The constant texting and lack of situational awareness is a nightmare. My wife comments that I may be more on the aggressive side of driving (read: very different from wreckless or angry). That means I pay attention. I would MUCH rather drivers like myself who can respond quickly to situations, than some person cruising the fast lane on the highway going 5 under while a trail of 10 cars rides her bumper because she's completely oblivious. Or my favorite, the person parked at a fresh green light because they are head down in their phone texting and oblivious to their surroundings.

Can autonomous vehicles assist with getting oblivious persons like this out of the drivers seat? Absolutely. But that seems like a very long and expensive answer to what should be a very simple solution. It would be like saying 40 years ago when drinking and driving was commonplace... "Lots of people like drinking and driving, who are we to stop them? Let's heavily subsidize Taxi's to make them THE future for those who are irresponsible, while taking away the freedom to drive from those who are responsible."

It's absurd, but appears to be the argument I hear coming down the pipeline for AV tech. The reality is you enact proper legislation paired with education to curb that behavior. Will there still be bad eggs breaking the law? ABSOLUTELY. Thats why you enforce consequences and deal with those individuals on a case by case basis. **off soapbox**
Efthreeoh6263.00