View Single Post
      07-15-2017, 12:18 PM   #80
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
some of the huge benefits are that there already IS infrastructure in place, as compared to hydrogen, or natural gas, etc.
That remains to be seen.
Sure everyone has an electricitypoint to their house, but when people start to use EV as their transport (batterycharged) you see that their electricityuse is rising with sometimes 300-400%.
For one or two homes in a street thats no problem, but if everyone is doing that the complete electricitydistribution network needs to be expanded in capacity with that same rise in powerdemand. So all cables that run underground need to be replaced/expanded by much much thicker ones.
A big plus in this is that much people might take the decision to charge overnight, a time that electricitydemand is usually at a low point and normal electricitypowerplants have a surplus. That might also change with more green energysources as both windmills and solar panels generate less electricity at night (there's usually less wind at night, the solarpanels speak for themselves)
Also in cities where lots of people dont have their own parkingspace on their property there need to come lots and lots of rechargingposts.
So there are still a lot of hurdles to take on that matter, outside of the public view.

As for natural gas, in my country virtually every house has a natural gas connection so here that would be less of a problem but most countries dont have that, so globally thats not really an option.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs performance clutch