View Single Post
      09-25-2007, 08:17 PM   #2
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Congrats on the new hardware. It's a fantastic camera. I have the d200, which is basically the same thing in a weather tight body that's 20% larger. Couple bells and whistles too, but the important parts of the camera are shared between the 200 and the 80.

I can post a couple pictures I took with a friends d80, but the res limit on the forum will prevent you from getting a good idea of what it can do. My general advice on this (and the d200) is to shoot manual, meter down 1 stop, and USE THE TRIPOD! You'll take some outstanding photos with just a little practice.

Use the RAW mode as well, and get comfortable with the Nikon Capture NX. I just got my copy today, but I've been messing with a demo copy for about a week. It's an amazing step forward for Nikon. It adds many more high-end features that were missing in CaptureView4.4.

All that said, the most important thing is the glass. That kit lens that you have is a decent starter lens. The 18-200 has been getting AMAZING reviews. Keep the kit lens for harsh situations, and take a long look at the 18-200. It has the VR feature, which is handy off-tripod. I have the 80-400mm VR, and it too is an outstanding lens. It's a little steep at $1400.

If you really want a wide angle, the 12-24mm f/4 is an amazing lens as well. I bought that about 9 mos ago, and have been VERY pleased with it. It too is expensive at around $900, but you'll find that the good glass will set you back some bucks. Resist the urge to go the Tamaron / Sigma route - you buy a Nikon to use their glass, so don't sell yourself short. The third party brands just can't compare.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0