View Single Post
      06-13-2020, 05:48 AM   #4058
Smgs1992
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
9mm definitely for a new shooter. Also 9mm ammo is much more available and cheaper (at least here in Canuckistan) Also, the argument was/is that .40 has more stopping power. The debate on that rages on and I'm not going to take sides on which round is better, but I'd say 9mm has disabled way more than .40 based on popularity and it's really about shot placement. So if you can hit the target more frequently and accurately with 9mm then it doesn't really matter which round has superior stopping power does it.
See i’m going to disagree about the availability part. Anyplace that carries 9mm is going to carry .40 as well. The big benefit however is during a crisis such as covid19 when people panic and start to bulk buy ammo. A few years back when you couldnt find 9mm or 22lr anywhere. I could go to walmart or any gunshop and pick up multiple boxes of .40. Price point also is a insignificant on average the difference is $1-2 a box and you can typically find 50rd boxes of defensive/hollowpoints for cheaper than 9mm because of law enforcement. I picked up 5 50rd boxes of federal HST for $18 each not that long ago.
Also going to disagree that 9mm has disabled more people. It is the more commonly used round by police who tend to get in more shoot outs than the typical civilian. That said however i agree shot placement is more important than stopping power.
.40 does offer better barrier penetration due to it being a heavier round but still traveling at similar high velocity.
That said though you cant go wrong with either but if youre considering a .40 rent one from a gun range first. No point in buying it if you wont enjoy shooting it and therefore never go to the range and practice.
07 E92 335i 6MT, MMP inlets, DCI, VRSF 7.5 competition intercooler, VRSF catless downpipes, VRSF chargepipe, 335is clutch, Vader Solutions stage 2 LPFP, MHD stage 2+, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, R1 Concepts drilled slotted rotors, TSW Nurburgring 19x8 19x9.5
Appreciate 0