06-14-2020, 02:23 AM   #4061
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smgs1992 View Post
That said though you cant go wrong with either but if youre considering a .40 rent one from a gun range first. No point in buying it if you wont enjoy shooting it and therefore never go to the range and practice.
Initial range experiences using a few friends handguns in college, I really liked .40 as it was manageable for my skill level versus something heavier like .45 or .357. 9mm seemed like it wouldn't have the stopping power.

Fast forward many years, 9mm is so widespread that I ended up choosing it just because it's fairly ubiquitous while .40 is still more specialized. Other than practicing at the range, my intent for owning a gun is protection when I can't rely on local/state/fed gov't to maintain control and in those scenarios, who knows how much stockpiled ammo is enough. I don't want to be carrying something that the guy down the street doesn't have rounds for if came to that. I've also been looking at getting the Ruger PC Carbine in 9mm since it takes the same rounds/magazines as my Glock.

Not saying I wouldn't pick up a .40 or other gun chambered in another caliber, but focused on getting some versatility at the core before I branch out into more calibers for hobby. CCW isn't an option where I live, so not even a consideration FWIW.
Appreciate 0