View Single Post
      02-21-2022, 07:41 AM   #179
classj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328xi E90, X3 M40i, M2CS,X7M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
I appreciate the discourse but this is where I disagree with you vehemently. No one, not even a billionaire is going to spend $100,000 on a car they don’t like. It’s not going to happen ever. Regardless of the economy. The only people buying this G80 that might not like it are shops that make modifications for them and they are buying them so they can design these mods. I don’t like and I have never liked any design of the Corvette. Ever. However there been many years it was the fastest production car and just a bad ass machine and I still wouldn’t buy it. Same thing with the mustang or the Dodge charger. All sick cars that I find incredibly ugly and I would never buy them regardless of how fast they are.

I also would argue that in this economical environment we find ourselves in and with part the shortages would support my view even stronger. People who hate somethings definitely are not going to go out of their way, more than normal to acquire it.

I think it’s just time to admit that there’s an entire car buying world out there besides BMW traditionalists. Lots of these people love the entire G8X. Obviously enough to set new sales records for BMW for this particular model. I cannot fathom why traditionalists get so upset about this here. It doesn’t bother me one bit that the Corvette is the number one selling sports car in the United States. Im glad. I also don’t tell people that own a Corvette (I’m friends with a couple) how ugly I find their car nor do I hang out on the Corvette forum and tell its members that either. I realize I’m in the minority opinion on the Corvette and it’s probably time for BMW traditionalists to admit they are in the minority in their opinion of the G8X. Yes I realize that won’t happen.

But hey in the not too distant future, probably less then a year the economy is going to crash so we will then get to see how G8X sales do in a bad economy. I imagine they won’t do very good. So then you guys can point to that and say “ah ha see I told you so.”
Some good points but there have been plenty of Ferrari’s, Porsche’s, and other expensive cars that sold well, but never became desirable collectibles long term due to polarizing styling. The list is long.

These are BMW’s anyway…the German Toyota of the world. Very few BMW’s become collectible to anyone other than enthusiasts. BMW does not sit there and think about brand heritage and placement of their cars in time. They think about moving metal.

I also truly believe most Aztek buyers liked their choice. There were plenty of not ugly cars out there at similar price points back then.

I think BMW will sell plenty of M3’s. Especially after the LCI. It’s a fast good car that is practical. With a very polarizing styling decision mocked by many car designers and enthusiasts.

Oh and not that it matters but I think the C7 and C8 corvettes are hideous so we agree there.
Appreciate 1
Patton2502939.50