View Single Post
      09-07-2022, 02:30 PM   #228
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
EU peeps essentially point at NA and laugh at us as autos are a luxury for them, and driving manual is very normal over there, there's nothing special to it like people in NA worship the transmission to be.
Yes, over here in the EU/UK, MT is the transmission most learn with, traditionally has been the cheaper option and most economical transmission. May have changed of recent years, but MT is still the domain of cheaper transport.

I know folks who wish they could get AT in some models, where AT is not an option. Performance diesels also changed the scene, when AT proved to be the better transmission in most installations.

I never owned AT myself for over 30-years of driving, although driving AT in business and the motor trade for a few years. No desire to have one. The last 20-years I've only owned AT.

I'm also in the camp that driving pleasure is not dependant on MT. Some of it depends on the vehicle I choose to drive, and the use it is put to.

What I like about the current 8-speed AT, you have choices on how you drive. You can be as involved as you want to be. I enjoy driving, always have and honed my skills to a decent level. I like the idea I can say, "how shall I drive today?" Choose to be totally in control of the transmission, or simply leave it in D. Often I have a 'mix' of driving, according to the roads I travel.
Appreciate 2
KevinGS3377.00
BGM-M3COMP2329.50