View Single Post
      04-30-2019, 12:49 PM   #10
eatsleepboost
Captain
Rep
Drives: Evo

I am very active on the McLaren forums and am on there daily as I Search for a 12c to own. Have been on there for almost 6 months reading everything.

Pretty accurate statements in here thus far. McLaren is more of a boutique brand where as Ferrari has it's heritage. McLaren's tend to have less issues when driven than they do when they sit. They do have random electrical issues that are more a nusance than a real issue. Reliability overall is very good actually. Few common issues being condensation in headlights, HVAC control screen dims to barely readable, and the worst is a few transmissions have external leaks that McLaren doesn't fix since they swap the unit which is $$. Recently companies started fixing these for a couple hundred bucks.

As far as non McLaren dealer servicing there are plenty of ppl that do it. McLaren on parts are obviously expensive but you can buy parts for other brands for some things. Example zr1 rotors and BMW e92 m3 oil filter. That's right. Same filter as our cars lol. I already have a 400 page PDF service manual. Obviously some resets etc need to be done at the dealer but I plan to do maintenance and repairs primarily myself.

As for the warranty, yes it's factory and available still on these cars. They call it an ESC, extended service contract. To have this you also have to perform an annual service there for 1700$+. The ESC price went up this month from about 4000 to 7000$. So you are looking at almost 8k to keep an annual ESC.

As far as performance they are certainly at or near the top. My friend who works for apple has an almost new Huracan and attends tons of supercar meets etc states the same things each time I ask him about McLaren's. Performance is unbelievable if you can live with some turbo lag but doesn't have the sound of the lambos. A simple tune to a factory McLaren can also add upwards of 150hp and 200tq.

Most of my info is relative to the mp4-12c but I do read about all of the models. The numbers for ESC are for the 12c.

Sorry for going off topic OP. Yes the 720s is an amazing machine and setting records at the track and drag strip for sure.

Last edited by eatsleepboost; 04-30-2019 at 01:30 PM..
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10531.50