10-14-2019, 04:27 PM   #177
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
I agree about the cool towns but bad locations, lol.

I love some of the towns in CT on the coast. Same goes for some NC mountain towns. But I refuse to live in those states - it just doesn't make sense financially. I've been buying up property for rental income and after a long hard search, ended up purchasing foreign holdings instead of places here in the USA - for the simple fact that I couldn't find anything that gave a good ROI due to excessive taxation and regulations here in this country.

Oh well, it is what it is.

FWIW - my tax bill on my home in the city was about $800 or so last year. It's a new construction (well, it was in 2015 when I built it) 1600sf home in a planned community. Assessed value was around $225k.

I think the PPT on the farm ran about $1,700 last year, which is about what my house here on 5 acres (assessed about the same as yours) was as well. Farm has a kind of hunting cabin on it with elec and water, but appraises at like $50K of the value of the farm.

By comparison - she paid over $4K in taxes last year. For a house that I would guess to be a $150K-$160K class house? Mostly because it is in a good neighborhood with good schools and has nice upgrades inside. The things she pays to live there are insane.

She can't wait to get out. They will never be able to outvote CHI and everyone fleeing are leaving non-CHI areas, so it only makes it worse faster.

I have a buddy that moved to CT for a good job. It petered out after a few years and he landed another job there, but he wished he had not. He says many of the same things - terrible taxes and terrible policies. He said they are not talking about how to tax people that USED to live there or some such nonsense. LOL