View Single Post
      10-09-2020, 07:06 AM   #94
VetteGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: Arctic Race Blue M440iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
Sounds to me like you should trade up to a C8 since you want something “faster, smoother, and a frankly all around better ride”. Those moments of nostalgia and joy you mentioned in your 67 would be the sole reason to own and drive a 53 year old car regularly.

The reason people do restomods for plenty of reasons, not just because they hate their 4 speeds lol. They want better performance... drum brakes suck, new fuel injected engines make better power, modern suspension handles and rides better, new parts are more reliable, etc. It’s pretty clear restomods are not just born because people want to make the car an automatic. Maybe you noticed there’s plenty of resto mods with modern 6 speeds.

If your baseline is a 53 year old manual then of course it’s not great. The only way to make it fair you should be comparing that to a 53 year old 3 speed automatic. I don’t see anyone loving those! Maybe we should compare a modern flat screen to an old black and white TV too lol

I drove a cayman GT4 last year and it was amazing as a manual. Of course it wasn’t 53 year old iron.
I guess I wasn’t clear with my point. Not making a real comparison, just an observation. I love my 53 year 3 month and 4 day old car, even more than my modern ones. And, I like the nostalgia, as do thousands of other vintage car enthusiasts, especially those who actually and seriously race vintage cars of all types.

That said, if you buy a car only because you enjoy the MT, That’s cool, but you may miss other aspects of the hobby or the adventure. Sure, shifting can be fun, sometimes not as much so. Performance wise, many of the autos and DCTs we have today are Faster and far superior to the MT.

So, enjoy the MT, but they’ll most likely only be available new for a handful of more years, which means the 75 percent of BMW drivers who lease their cars will be adapting to paddle shifting sooner than later, or also buying a somewhat vintage weekend car.
Appreciate 1
Biginboca3763.50