06-29-2015, 05:00 PM   #12
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Glad you had a great time but I don't understand this post.

You talk about technique yet you drive with nannies on - isn't that the exact opposite of learning how to control a car. IMO if you can't catch a car from spinning, you shouldn't be driving at that speed yet. I never understood people who get Rcomps but still rely on driving aid assistance.

PSS - are the M4 PSS any different than other cars because these are awful track tires. Melted mine in 2 sessions.

Suspension setup will enhance the performance if set up correctly, as well as confidence. Plus some like suspension setup more biased towards the track vs the street.

Lastly, yes we are all "novices" because we do not get paid, but there are people with dramatic differences in skill levels at any track day, you can't just lump them all together right?
There many instructors with E9x M3 on the track running with MDM. I have a buddy who has a dedicated E36 track car, but still uses MDM for his new M3 on the track. MDM is not complete nannies, it's in between 0 computers and full intervention. I don't rely MDM for cornering, but it's there in case my rear kick out to the point of non-recovery. It's a lot cheaper to learn my car's threshold with a safety net. If MDM kicked in, I learned to tune it down one notch for next time. Code Euro MDM, it allows the rear to kick out much more compared to U.S. spec. The last time I checked, there isn't a rule against using MDM on the track. You might as well argue that tracking a car with DCT isn't racing because you're not using toe/heel. (I get those type of guys giving me crap as well) Embrace technology, it's there to help you go faster safer.

Once a driver knows his/her car very well (about 6-8 weekends), then turning all nannies off is acceptable. It's laughable to see these guys who think they're badasses not using MDM and hit the wall on the first weekend out with the car they just bought.

You melted your PSS after 2 sessions? Are you drifting? PSS is the highest rated trackable street tires on the market. I only used 20% after 7x20min sessions. That's not driving like a grandma either. 130mph straights, late braking, late apex. BMW does have specific PSS, but it's not far off from the ones off the shelf.

Unless you have well paid sponsors and drive for living, you're still a student of driving. You're still learning new things every-time you hit the track. I call myself a novice golfer as well. The last time I looked in the mail, Nike hasn't sent me a check for using their golf clubs.

Last edited by JNoSol; 06-29-2015 at 05:07 PM..
Appreciate 0