dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
How much value is there in this?

When I test drive a car, it doesn't seen any more effective than sitting in it. I don't get to experience the nuisances and issues that I would encounter driving it every day for a few weeks. THATs where you find the things you love or can't freaking deal with IME. Other than sitting in it to see if I like the interior, the chances of the dealership model matching the spec I am looking for are typically almost zero, such as the active suspension or transmission/engine choices that radically affect how the car drives. I'd rather a competent reviewer and orgs break down the car and do some honest assessments, because they're going to find those things that I'd find 2 weeks down the road...that I don't want to find out about after it's too late.

I think we "do it" because everyone has before, but it seems to be less and less beneficial now. Typically, I'm ordering a model that isn't sitting on the lot.
I think there is some value to test driving a car even though I also think the current 10 min test drive around the block is crap. There are cars that I immediately disliked 1 min into the test drive. There are also cars that seemed fine during the test drive only to find issues later on under certain conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
This can be easily resolved by allowing you to reutrn the car within like 15 days or something. And honestly, that is much better than a 10 minute test drive.
I think this should be the standard. It may be tougher for special order custom stuff, but for your average car I think they should all come with a X day trial period. For more custom cars they could always have a similar model that maybe you can take for a day or what not to really test drive it.
Appreciate 0