E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > E90 Brake squeek (not the pads!)

11-29-2020, 09:42 AM   #1
Camery
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 318i

Garage List
2007 BMW e90  [0.00]
E90 Brake squeek (not the pads!)

Hi all!

I am hoping some of you could help me resolve the following issue:

I am hearing a squeeking / high pitched whistle noise when braking somewhat hard. I serviced the brakes this morning, hoping the sound would disapear. But it is unchanged.

Strange thing is, its not the rotors/pads that are squeeking.
I opened the windows to hear the rotors while braking and they are quiet.
The sound almost seems to come from within the car.

The squeek happens when braking somewhat hard, but also when going over bumps too hard. It also happens when braking very slightly and going over bumps (slow). Making me think it is suspension related.

I however can not link the squeeking sound to braking and making the suspension move up and down.

I added this video of the noise, I accelerate to about 50mph and brake within a small margin of the abs kicking in to make the noise to most hearable.
Camera is in the footwell area.

Please advise guys

Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 08:54 PM   #2
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camery View Post
Hi all!

I am hoping some of you could help me resolve the following issue:

I am hearing a squeeking / high pitched whistle noise when braking somewhat hard. I serviced the brakes this morning, hoping the sound would disapear. But it is unchanged.

Strange thing is, its not the rotors/pads that are squeeking.
I opened the windows to hear the rotors while braking and they are quiet.
The sound almost seems to come from within the car.

The squeek happens when braking somewhat hard, but also when going over bumps too hard. It also happens when braking very slightly and going over bumps (slow). Making me think it is suspension related.

I however can not link the squeeking sound to braking and making the suspension move up and down.

I added this video of the noise, I accelerate to about 50mph and brake within a small margin of the abs kicking in to make the noise to most hearable.
Camera is in the footwell area.

Please advise guys

Thanks!

This is going to be an odd suggestion but try turning off your climate control fan. Does the noise disappear?
It's sounds like the heater hamster wheel bearing is squeaking. My heater fan is making a very similar sound. I haven't noticed it while braking but the sound is familiar so I thought I would suggest it.
      12-05-2020, 11:08 AM   #3
Camery
Private
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW e90  [0.00]
You are the best, I would have never guessed it would be the blower motor, I was about to throw suspension components at it, as I was clueless.

I drove the car with the blower on 2 (my default setting) confirmed the squeak was still there while braking. Turned the blower off, squeak was gone. Turned the blower on again, squeak returned.

I took the blower out and sprayed the bearings with some wd40.
Tested with blower on, braking; no squeak.

Thanks a ton!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 11:10 AM   #4
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camery View Post
You are the best, I would have never guessed it would be the blower motor, I was about to throw suspension components at it, as I was clueless.

I drove the car with the blower on 2 (my default setting) confirmed the squeak was still there while braking. Turned the blower off, squeak was gone. Turned the blower on again, squeak returned.

I took the blower out en sprayed the bearings with some wd40.
Tested with blower on, braking; no squeak.

Thanks a ton!
Ah perfect ! I need to do this as well.
Every car I have owned the blower fan develops a noise. Oiling it helps for a while, but the sounds does come back. At least he part is only a few hundred bucks.
Was it difficult to get out? I really should do this ASAP.
      12-06-2020, 03:07 AM   #5
Camery
Private
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW e90  [0.00]
Yes indeed, maybe it is time for a new blower motor if the sound returns. It was a little corroded at the bottom side too, so I guess that didn't help as well.

Getting it out is very easy, remove two screws holding a cover panel in place in the passenger footwell area, undo 1 connector and pull the air duct slightly out of the way, after that, just lift a small tab and rotate the assembly to release the blower from the car
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2020, 08:30 AM   #6
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Replace the blower motor ASAP. The fine dust from the bearing will land on the evaporator and cause corrosion and will cause it to leak. Brass and aluminium together is bad, especially when water is involved, like a wet evaporator. That is a much bigger job.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 01:52 PM   #7
Camery
Private
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW e90  [0.00]
I guess that's a fair point, I will look into this. Thanks!
Appreciate 0