E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > LCI boot lid conversion

08-06-2016, 11:16 AM   #1
JJ0063
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90

Hi guys

So I managed to pick an absolute bargain of the century up today.. An LCI boot lid in the correct colour including inner lights and only 30 mins from me.

I have fitted it and it's looking great however I have a couple of issues:
  • No reverse lights
  • Inner tail lights bright. Fogs barely make them any brighter
  • Number plate lights have different plugs to the pre-LCI loom.

The guy I got it from said the loom isn't removable so you have to use your existing loom - Is this true? If so I guess it's why the lights are playing up. I've already coded all bulb check errors out ready for when I get LCI outers.

Any help appreciated!

Last edited by JJ0063; 08-06-2016 at 11:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 12:00 PM   #2
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

BMW sell an adapting loom for retrofits I think.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 12:05 PM   #3
stote
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335D Touring

There is a guide to swap the wires , no need to buy adaptor.
It's really easy
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 12:06 PM   #4
stote
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335D Touring

You might have to code the led lights
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 01:18 PM   #5
JJ0063
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Ah thanks

I've got Carly & have already coded the bulb checks out as I've got LED bulbs in my pre-LCI lights.

I've found the guide for swapping pins so I'll try that when I get my car back on Monday as I've had to leave it at work as I've got a company car for working this weekend.

Another issue I've got is I keep getting the boot open warning although the boot is 100% shut!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 06:58 PM   #6
imy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M140i

How did you get on with this?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 01:26 AM   #7
JJ0063
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

All sorted, took two mins to swap the pins round & all is well.

Boot open warning randomly stopped too which is handy!

Just need LED outers & it's finished.

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 09:30 AM   #8
imy
Captain
Rep

Are you able to give me a quick guide on how you did this conversion? Is it literally all just plug and play? No additional adapters needed?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 10:46 AM   #9
JJ0063
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I certainly can, I can cover how I personally did it anyway.

So, I purchased an LCI boot lid from eBay in the correct colour, locally for £70 with the inner lights (I still need to buy the outer LCI tail lights)

I first of all removed the grey interior trim from the underside of the boot lid, just held in by the grey circular trim clips round the edge.

Once this is removed you will need to disconnect the wiring loom from the lights, lock, handle and number plate light. You then need to pull this out of the boot lid so it is just hanging in the boot.

You can then remove the boot lid, two bolts either side to remove the lid from the hinge. Top bolt can just be loosened as it slots in (Makes it easier to fit the new one too)

Once the boot lid is off, swap the two top bolts onto the new lid, just screwing them in a couple of turns. Lift the new lid onto the hinges, slotting these bolts in & then winding the bottom bolts in to hold it in place.

DO NOT SHUT THE BOOT without connecting everything back up. Feed the wiring loom through the skin of the boot lid and back into place. Plug in the handle and latch.. press the boot button with the boot open to ensure it is working.

You will need to use the pre-LCI number plate lights as the plug is different (Of course unless you can get some LCI loom cut off and sent across to change the plugs)

You then need to unclip the light plug on the loom, pressing the metal part of the pins in to remove each one, then swapping them so both sides are in this order: (Dont forget passenger side will be mirrored to this picture)

http://www.m3post.com/forums/attachm...8&d=1262633301

Once you've done this, everything should work plug & play. I have Carly so I've coded out all voltage monitoring/bulb checks as I run LED bulbs at the rear anyway.

Finally you will need to ensure the boot closes fine and the panel gaps line up. This just needs some adjusting with those two bolts that hold the lid to the hinges.. took me three or four goes to get this right. Last job is to refit the grey boot trim to the underside of the new lid.. You will need the LCI trim (Should come with the boot anyway) as the pre-LCI one is different.

That's pretty much it, I'm happy to answer any questions but there's really not much more to it.

Last edited by JJ0063; 08-12-2016 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 10:52 AM   #10
imy
Captain
Rep

Thanks very much. I've got an offer too good to refuse at the moment so just wanted to see what leg work was involved. You got the lid for an absolute steal! Great job
Appreciate 0