BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Heated Steering Retrofit

08-14-2022, 09:15 PM   #1
StanDiego
Darth ZEDer
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 sDrive3.0

Garage List
Heated Steering Retrofit

Have any of you without factory heated steering performed or investigated a heated steering retrofit?

Searching the forums, I've seen posts about some BMW models all having a heated steering wheel but only those with the purchased heated steering option having the physical button on steering wheel (and coding) to turn it on. Retrofit in those cases could be done with coding and purchase of the panel with the steering wheel button.

However, I don't believe that's the case with our G29 because REALOEM.COM lists different part numbers for heated and non-heated steering wheels. At $1K+ for the steering wheel, it's not a viable option to replace my steering wheel unless I'm lucky enough to find one at a salvage yard.

FWIW, this steering wheel is also used in late model 1, 2, and 3 series BMWs (F40, F44, G20, G21).
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 06:45 AM   #2
Kwajtrader
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40i G29  [10.00]
I retrofitted one on my F13 and it was a straightforward parts swap and then coding to enable the feature. The only challenge is removing the airbag and taking all of the necessary precautions so it doesn’t go off in the process. I’m not certain but I would expect the same on the G29. Hopefully others will chime in.
Appreciate 1
StanDiego6299.50