BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum G29 - Trouble / Gremlins / other Issues

12-30-2019, 02:43 PM   #155
blaird03
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M40i, TTS, Abarth

Seems I have the roof/windscreen click/crack (sounds like something hitting the screen) as described above. At first I thought the noise was coming from around the top of the dash behind the centre screen, however I was out for a while with the roof down - and no click/crack when over uneven roads or some speed humps.
Car is due to go dealers to look at this and other nosies and other issues.
In the meantime if I get the chance I will have a look around the roof/windscreen locking holes to see if I can find anything.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 05:50 PM   #156
rikwynnpa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G29 Z4 3.0

I had the same exact problem after washing my car in the spring (not cold). My car wouldn't move and i had to rock it a bit in reverse with the gas to get the car to move and the emergency brake to release. Then there was some brake rubbing for a few blocks until it finally let go. Took the car to the dealer and they did something because it hasn't happened since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWho View Post
Sticky Parking Brake--I washed my new Z4 and pulled it into the garage to dry it off. After drying, I used a clay bar, All in One to tackle some light swirls, an IPA based stripper, and then applied CQuartz 3. I did that on a Friday and left the car in a 74 degree garage until Monday morning. No chance of rain so I decide to drive the car to work. I start the engine and then feel a lurch and brief thump. The parking brake light was not on but it was stuck. Apparently, you should drive the car a bit after washing it to dry the brakes, or not use the parking brake after washing. Anyone else had a similar experience?
Appreciate 1
DocWho85.00
      12-31-2019, 05:54 PM   #157
rikwynnpa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G29 Z4 3.0

I wonder if you guys with the clicking noise coming from the top/windshield frame area is happening because those 2 little rubber pads from the top fell out.

I had both rubber pads stick to the windshield frame (came out of the top front rail). Luckily I didn't lose them and the dealer put them back in but they could easily be lost as mine both came out. I think these things are supposed to cushion the metal parts so they dont make nose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toejedi View Post
DrSecretan I have the exact same issue regards a plastic clicking noise coming from where the roof meets the windscreen. Mines been into 2 dealers for this problem and they’ve replaced the push-clips which hold the plastic trim to the roof but this hasn’t resolved it.

I reckon it’s the plastic roof trim either being too tight to the roof (no play). But the noise only started after about 6k miles and after I noticed that one of the clips felt as though it had detached on the left hand side; when I pushed the trim against the roof lining with my hand ( it’s seemed to pop in then when I pressed on the right hand side of the trim it’d pop back out).hence the dealers replacing the clips/studs/press rivets.

Now it doesn’t do pop in or out but the Geiger-counter type clicking noise is still there.

It has to be the trim rubbing it too close fitting to another plastic part. It’s definitely the roof trim.

If I get a solution I will post but I will be taking it back to the dealers in Jan.
Appreciate 1
SakhirM410783.00
      01-01-2020, 02:51 PM   #158
DrSecretan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 sDrive20i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikwynnpa View Post
I wonder if you guys with the clicking noise coming from the top/windshield frame area is happening because those 2 little rubber pads from the top fell out.

I had both rubber pads stick to the windshield frame (came out of the top front rail). Luckily I didn't lose them and the dealer put them back in but they could easily be lost as mine both came out. I think these things are supposed to cushion the metal parts so they dont make nose.
Are you talking about the little black rubber rectangles next to the two locking hooks on the roof? If so, both of mine are present and seem to be solidly attached!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 07:22 PM   #159
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWho View Post
Sticky Parking Brake--I washed my new Z4 and pulled it into the garage to dry it off. I did that on a Friday and left the car in a 74 degree garage until Monday morning. No chance of rain so I decide to drive the car to work. I start the engine and then feel a lurch and brief thump. The parking brake light was not on but it was stuck. Apparently, you should drive the car a bit after washing it to dry the brakes, or not use the parking brake after washing. Anyone else had a similar experience?
This is a common issue when washing BMWs. The same thing has happened on our previous 2011 335is Coupe, our 2006 Z4 M Roadster, our 2016 M4 Coupe, and our 2018 M3. BMW uses high carbon steel in their brake rotors and unless you live in Arizona or somewhere else with extremely low humidity, by the time you're done washing and detailing your car, the rotors have already begun to rust. If you pull the car back into the garage and leave the parking brake set, it will likely get "stuck" when you drive to back out of the garage the next day. Fortunately, a light application of the brakes will quickly and easily get rid of any oxidation.

Appreciate 2
DocWho85.00
      01-03-2020, 02:33 PM   #160
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M440i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSecretan View Post
For the chap who is having issues with an electrical clicking noise coming from behind him - I have the exact same thing. I think it's normal for these cars - I find the relay noise often coincides with electrical events like the start-stop system engaging or the roof going up or down.
That's me - thanks, I think you're right. Sometimes it isn't obvious but as Joe240 says, there are often things happening behind the scenes.

Quote:
Update on the clicking noise from the roof - the dealer installed felt tape behind all the wires inside the roof liner and unfortunately the noise remains. It sounds like it's coming from around where the roof meets the windshield in the centre - around where the roof locking mechanism is. Oh well, back to the dealer I'm going. Take it no one else has had any clicking noises from the roof?
I get a bit of noise from that area but I think it's just the plastic housing creaking. It seems worse when the weather's cold, which suggests it's down to things shrinking a bit and not fitting as tightly as when it's warm.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 01:18 PM   #161
unstoppable66
Rep
Drives: BMW G29

Fake engine noise malfunction

I have a small but annoying problem of when I start the car, sometimes I get a high pitched feedback through the rear speakers. This is louder and worse when I accelerate, quietest in EcoPro and noisiest in Sport. At the weekend this would not go away even when the car was turned completely off then on.
It is booked into the dealer tomorrow, so of course today the noise has disappeared.
From what I've read in other models, this may be poor earthing of the head unit. We'll see what happens tomorrow...

If ever there was a need to turn off the engine noise through the loudspeakers, this is it.

———-

Z4 Black G29 2019
Z3 Navy E36/7 1998

Previous
320D Metallic blue E92 2009 - 2019
200SX Navy S13 1990 - 2008
A Volvo, less said the better
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 02:23 AM   #162
unstoppable66
Rep
Drives: BMW G29

Quote:
Originally Posted by unstoppable66 View Post
I have a small but annoying problem of when I start the car, sometimes I get a high pitched feedback through the rear speakers. This is louder and worse when I accelerate, quietest in EcoPro and noisiest in Sport. At the weekend this would not go away even when the car was turned completely off then on.
It is booked into the dealer tomorrow, so of course today the noise has disappeared.
From what I've read in other models, this may be poor earthing of the head unit. We'll see what happens tomorrow...

If ever there was a need to turn off the engine noise through the loudspeakers, this is it.

———-

Z4 Black G29 2019
Z3 Navy E36/7 1998

Previous
320D Metallic blue E92 2009 - 2019
200SX Navy S13 1990 - 2008
A Volvo, less said the better
...apparently a known issue. Car being reprogrammed now
Appreciate 1
CeEl477.50
      01-07-2020, 03:24 PM   #163
Josh65
FWTX Z4
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW Z4 Sdrive 30i (G29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by juju86 View Post
I had 2 small issues with my new Z4 (1 month) :
- had the key in my pocket, open the trunk and the alarm starts
- I have a small noise around the left part of the window/door of driver. Noise is still there with the roof opened. I don't know if it comes from a seal of the window or the door.
I've recently had the same issue with the alarm going off when opening the trunk (when locked with the fob in my pocket). I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow and will ask.

I've also noticed that the car used to 'greet' me when I walked up to it with the fob in my pocket. That seems to have stopped. Not sure if it was the result of a software update or not.

I did realize that after a recent software update that the remote start feature stopped working from the Connected Drive app on my phone. I then realized there is a new setting (check box) that has to be manually selected to allow the car to remotely start. That was annoying until I found that it had changed.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 05:29 AM   #164
Jim S
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i G29

Garage List
I have also had the problem (several times) with the alarm going off when opening the boot (trunk) with the key fob in my pocket. Reported this to my dealer but they were unable to offer a solution.

The July 2019 software update affected the operation of the welcome lights.
Appreciate 1
Josh6518.00
      01-08-2020, 05:43 AM   #165
kv1980
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Z4 G29

[QUOTE=Jim S;25656352]I have also had the problem (several times) with the alarm going off when opening the boot (trunk) with the key fob in my pocket. Reported this to my dealer but they were unable to offer a solution.

I have the same as the above with my car...
Appreciate 1
Josh6518.00
      01-08-2020, 09:56 AM   #166
Josh65
FWTX Z4
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW Z4 Sdrive 30i (G29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S View Post

The July 2019 software update affected the operation of the welcome lights.
Thanks Jim! Just as I suspected! It was probably a response to premature key fob battery depletion! The dealer didn't realize the change when I dropped the car off this morning. They are also looking into the trunk/alarm issue and didn't seem to know about that yet either!
Appreciate 1
Jim S385.00
      01-08-2020, 02:01 PM   #167
Jim S
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i G29

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh65 View Post
Thanks Jim! Just as I suspected! It was probably a response to premature key fob battery depletion! The dealer didn't realize the change when I dropped the car off this morning. They are also looking into the trunk/alarm issue and didn't seem to know about that yet either!
Yes Josh, there certainly is an issue with premature depletion of the key fob batteries. I have had to replace 4 batteries, two in each key fob, in only 8 months driving just 3,000 miles.

In each case I measured the voltage of the depleted battery and it was around 3.00 volts.The required lithium CR2032 battery is rated at 3 volts and a new battery measures about 3.3 volts. Clearly this is a software issue as the battery should not show depletion until the voltage drops to around 2.5 volts.

I have, again, reported this to my dealer but says he is unable to do anything to correct this.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 12:34 PM   #168
Toejedi
Rep
Drives: Z4 G29 M40i

Quote:
Hmmmm, I wonder if it is the same issue we have. My noise is definitely not a Geiger-counter kind of noise - mine is just a single click which happens when going over uneven road surfaces.

My and the dealer's first thought was that it was the plastic at the front of the roof moving against the plastic at the windshield where the two meet. However, after some investigation I'm pretty sure they don't actually touch each other. I taped a piece of cloth to the plastic behind the seal at the windshield, then closed the roof and tugged the cloth. I expected it wouldn't budge because the roof clamps so tightly to the windshield, but it came right down with zero effort.

I'm now thinking it's either something simple like a clip that's loose, or it's the lock drive behind the little plastic hatch that's loose. I'm going to do some further investigation and put it into the dealer in January. Part of me wonders if the loose door card could be contributing - I know it's a completely different part of the car but I just wonder if one bit being out of alignment and putting the incorrect pressure on other bits of the car can throw the whole thing out of whack - probably wishful thinking!

That's annoying that you've not had any luck at either dealer. Have you tried escalating it to BMW UK?
So I did some further investigation and to rule out the black trim that is attached to the roof I removed this and went for a drive.

Roof up, the noise (plastic creak) is still there and seems to be coming from the plastic trim that surrounds the windscreen, directly in front of the rear-view mirror. Roof down there’s no issue. So I think it’s when the roof is locked down onto the windscreen frame (Interior black plastic that meets the A pillars) that it puts pressure onto the interior trim that surrounds the windscreen. If I squeeze the trim with my hand (roof down) it makes a similar noise.

This is affected by temperature so I think it’s just a very tight fit that needs some padding or the trim needs reseating.

I do intend it take it back to the dealers but thought to share my latest investigations.

I also have the intermittent alarm going off when the boot is opened and it only did this after the DME software upgrade. As well as losing the Greeting or Welcoming lights feature on comfort. The software issues I can live with but the plastic creak is not something I’ll accept.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 07:41 AM   #169
DrSecretan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toejedi View Post
So I did some further investigation and to rule out the black trim that is attached to the roof I removed this and went for a drive.

Roof up, the noise (plastic creak) is still there and seems to be coming from the plastic trim that surrounds the windscreen, directly in front of the rear-view mirror. Roof down there’s no issue. So I think it’s when the roof is locked down onto the windscreen frame (Interior black plastic that meets the A pillars) that it puts pressure onto the interior trim that surrounds the windscreen. If I squeeze the trim with my hand (roof down) it makes a similar noise.

This is affected by temperature so I think it’s just a very tight fit that needs some padding or the trim needs reseating.

I do intend it take it back to the dealers but thought to share my latest investigations.

I also have the intermittent alarm going off when the boot is opened and it only did this after the DME software upgrade. As well as losing the Greeting or Welcoming lights feature on comfort. The software issues I can live with but the plastic creak is not something I’ll accept.
Thanks for your further investigations! I've also come to the conclusion that it's more likely to be something around the windshield frame rather than the roof itself.

I also find that the trim around the windshield frame clicks and sqeaks when I put pressure on it, and it would well be that this is where the noise is coming from - but I'm now thinking it could actually be the hinge on the cover over the SOS button. When I open it and then give it a bit of a jiggle it makes some amount of creaking noise. The hinge seems to be a particularly plasticky part - it wouldn't surprise me if it was the culprit. It's the only part in this area which has any obvious movement or noise coming from it.

The car's going in on Monday to resolve the door card and the roof noise - and also to investigate a new problem I've had where the maps are randomly dissapearing in my instrument cluster. Will report back!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 08:03 AM   #170
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your further investigations! I've also come to the conclusion that it's more likely to be something around the windshield frame rather than the roof itself.

I also find that the trim around the windshield frame clicks and sqeaks when I put pressure on it, and it would well be that this is where the noise is coming from - but I'm now thinking it could actually be the hinge on the cover over the SOS button. When I open it and then give it a bit of a jiggle it makes some amount of creaking noise. The hinge seems to be a particularly plasticky part - it wouldn't surprise me if it was the culprit. It's the only part in this area which has any obvious movement or noise coming from it.

The car's going in on Monday to resolve the door card and the roof noise - and also to investigate a new problem I've had where the maps are randomly dissapearing in my instrument cluster. Will report back!
I'd be interested to know how you get on. I'm also getting the creaky noise which I'm sure is moving plastic - possibly where the SOS button is or somewhere close.

Yesterday I gave the rubber seal at the top of the windscreen a good clean and that seems to have improved things a lot. I've found with other convertibles that dust on the seals leads to things moving around and that can cause all sorts of rattles and creaks.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 04:52 AM   #171
DrSecretan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedsRedBaby View Post
I'd be interested to know how you get on. I'm also getting the creaky noise which I'm sure is moving plastic - possibly where the SOS button is or somewhere close.

Yesterday I gave the rubber seal at the top of the windscreen a good clean and that seems to have improved things a lot. I've found with other convertibles that dust on the seals leads to things moving around and that can cause all sorts of rattles and creaks.
Put it in today but unfortunately the courtesy car they had me booked for hadn't arrived back. Fortunately they were able to order the required parts (don't know exactly what), and I'm booked back in for tomorrow. Will update when there's something to say!
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2020, 07:14 AM   #172
blaird03
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M40i, TTS, Abarth

Quote:
Put it in today but unfortunately the courtesy car they had me booked for hadn't arrived back. Fortunately they were able to order the required parts (don't know exactly what), and I'm booked back in for tomorrow. Will update when there's something to say!
Look forward to the update.
Mine is also going in to the dealer (tomorrow) to check the roof/screen creak (and other issues).
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 04:54 PM   #173
kj57
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Picked a M-sport 30i about a month ago, read through this thread and after 1200 miles only issue I have is the wipers skipping unless its pouring rain (seems to be getting better) and a few creaks/pops from the top. Dealer put new wipers on after I had it week, didnt help.

To be fair the '16 F-type convertible I traded in on this was horrible for squeaks/rattles and buzzing noises since it was new from the top and various weatherstrips rubbing. Got used to it though, the Z4 isnt as bad new but I have had several convertibles over the years, US made and import, and they all had their share of noises. Price you pay for dropping the top I guess..

Mine was built 4/19, sat at the dealer since June so I was able to get a decent deal on it. Was surprised to read here about carplay/bluetooth issues. I have an iphone 11 on the newest ios and I am really surprised how well it has worked. I am not a huge fan of carplay but I didnt know that if you dont get the wireless charging (non EBT) you cant do texts or siri from the steering wheel buttons with bluetooth. But so far so good on the carplay.

Only other complaint I have so far is if you just open the door and close it the radio will stay on for around 45 minutes, seems like a long time.. Also about 50% of the time when I park, shut off the engine and open the door the radio does not shut off (shut car down when opening door is checked) unless you lock it or hold down the radio power button. I havent figured out why it shuts off sometimes when I open the door and sometimes not.

Happy with the car overall, took a while to figure out the NAV and there are a LOT of option/settings screens. The F-type was pretty much trouble free, except for a turn signal switch and horrible brake dust for 4 years and 40K miles, hopefully this one will hold up as well.
Appreciate 1
DocWho85.00
      01-13-2020, 06:36 PM   #174
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj57 View Post
Picked a M-sport 30i about a month ago, read through this thread and after 1200 miles only issue I have is the wipers skipping unless its pouring rain (seems to be getting better) and a few creaks/pops from the top. Dealer put new wipers on after I had it week, didnt help.
I had this, which I think was due to an over-generous application of RainX. I gave the screen a good clean with a very mild glass polish and it's been fine since.

Quote:
To be fair the '16 F-type convertible I traded in on this was horrible for squeaks/rattles and buzzing noises since it was new from the top and various weatherstrips rubbing. Got used to it though, the Z4 isnt as bad new but I have had several convertibles over the years, US made and import, and they all had their share of noises. Price you pay for dropping the top I guess..
Exactly this. I've had quite a few verts and there's always something that doesn't stay tight. Clean the seals, turn up the music and press the loud pedal!

Quote:
Only other complaint I have so far is if you just open the door and close it the radio will stay on for around 45 minutes, seems like a long time.. Also about 50% of the time when I park, shut off the engine and open the door the radio does not shut off (shut car down when opening door is checked) unless you lock it or hold down the radio power button.
Something not right there

Enjoy the car
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 12:16 AM   #175
kj57
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedsRedBaby View Post

Something not right there

Enjoy the car
I think I figured out why it doesnt shut down when opening the door after driving. If I use the touch screen or idrive knob after shutting the engine off the radio will stay on if I open the door. If I just shut it off and open the door it shuts down.

It says in the manual that opening the door will power up the idrive and it will shut off 'after a few minutes' if you dont touch anything. The welcome screen, instrument cluster and interior ambient lights come on and will stay for 35-45 minutes if you just open and close the door. If you lock the doors with the remote or touching the door handle it shuts down.

I dont think there is anything wrong with it, just a different from what I am used to.
Appreciate 1
CeEl477.50
      01-14-2020, 01:38 PM   #176
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I think I figured out why it doesnt shut down when opening the door after driving. If I use the touch screen or idrive knob after shutting the engine off the radio will stay on if I open the door. If I just shut it off and open the door it shuts down
Yep, that makes more sense. I suppose it allows you to leave it on eg for the passenger to listen to the radio.
Appreciate 0