BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum G29 Retractable Top Error Message

05-05-2024, 03:06 PM   #1
kinesismotors
United_States
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4M & E36 M Roadster

Garage List
G29 Retractable Top Error Message

Hello everyone,

Reaching out for help on my '22 G29 M40i...

Recently I had my battery drain out by accidentally leaving an amplifier I was testing out. After getting the battery charged and the car running again, I ended up having to reset the vehicle data and clear some fault codes. Everything is working fine and no other changes from before this incident except my convertible top (iDrive reads something like: !Retractable Top-Unable to determine if locked) also pulled BDC codes D91F44 & D91742 regarding CAN bus for convertible top.

I attempted manually opening and closing the latch in hopes of resetting the sensor, unplug/plugging connectors, clearing all faults, etc.

The manual insinuates there are both front and back locks in the section where it talks about manually closing the top, to paraphrase "if you are only able to lock the front..." Also there are some BDC fuses (F1-F5) in the front pass footwell, but short of removing the front seat and carpeting they are nearly impossible to access and I'm not so sure that's the culprit yet.

Does anyone have a solution? Or have experience with these codes/issue ... Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated!!! THANK YOU
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 03:07 PM   #2
Argo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
A '22 car should still be under warranty, no? Go get it fixed at the dealer.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2024, 04:09 PM   #3
kinesismotors
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argo View Post
If I can’t find a solution, I will bring it in. I do all my own work and have a long list of mods so I want to avoid that if possible. None that I believe would warrant voiding of coverage but still…

I’ve yet to have an issue I’ve been unable to address, but sometimes for more niche issues it’s difficult to find quick answers
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 04:56 PM   #4
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argo View Post
I agree with Argo and don’t do this yourself.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 07:28 AM   #5
Wynnsiensheng
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
If the problem was caused by your action of draining the battery, I’m not sure it will be covered by warranty. At least it probably wouldn’t be here, I don’t know about USA.

Maybe you need a cover story if you go to the dealer for a warranty claim.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2024, 07:55 AM   #6
kinesismotors
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
I agree with Argo and don’t do this yourself.
It’s entirely up to what the solution actually is. Right now it’s a matter of diagnosing the problem and if I’m unable to do that, then I’ll have to bring it to the dealer.

At worst it could need a new module, in which case the price alone might justify using warranty. But replacement itself of whatever faulty component would be light work (although tedious &#128517. I’ve already been behind just about every panel in the car installing a custom sound system
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 08:19 AM   #7
kinesismotors
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynnsiensheng View Post
If the problem was caused by your action of draining the battery, I’m not sure it will be covered by warranty. At least it probably wouldn’t be here, I don’t know about USA.

Maybe you need a cover story if you go to the dealer for a warranty claim.
Correlation ≠ causation right? lol I’m only assuming that led to to the battery drain but…

When you dig past the surface codes, it showed that the battery became degraded, jumpstart had occurred, and a number of others that logged the event. They all cleared successfully with the exception of the two convertible top CAN bus codes.

I have a good relationship with my dealer, bought two vehicles from them and hold a commercial parts account. Despite that, I’m nervous to bring it in because I’ve upgraded the heat exchanger and transmission cooler w/ radiator flap delete, intake, chargepipe, high flow downpipe, full exhaust, suspension, ignition coils replaced the entire sound system, plus running a JB4 even if it is just a piggyback.

Idk how that jives with warranty 🧐 and this is possibly a minor issue … I do all my own work at my shop, just stuck on diagnosing the issue
Appreciate 2
      05-07-2024, 05:04 AM   #8
Wynnsiensheng
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Far too technical for me 😂
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2024, 07:16 AM   #9
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinesismotors View Post
Correlation ≠ causation right? lol I’m only assuming that led to to the battery drain but…

When you dig past the surface codes, it showed that the battery became degraded, jumpstart had occurred, and a number of others that logged the event. They all cleared successfully with the exception of the two convertible top CAN bus codes.

I have a good relationship with my dealer, bought two vehicles from them and hold a commercial parts account. Despite that, I’m nervous to bring it in because I’ve upgraded the heat exchanger and transmission cooler w/ radiator flap delete, intake, chargepipe, high flow downpipe, full exhaust, suspension, ignition coils replaced the entire sound system, plus running a JB4 even if it is just a piggyback.

Idk how that jives with warranty 🧐 and this is possibly a minor issue … I do all my own work at my shop, just stuck on diagnosing the issue
My recommendation is to simply bring the car into the dealer's service department and play dumb. Let them tell you what caused this problem.
Appreciate 1