BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos New Audi RS5 car test vid

07-30-2010, 06:14 PM   #23
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by giants84 View Post
Because even the R8 V8 is gutless and gets killed by sedans, Audi makes good looking cars but their performance is always lacking, other then the v10 R8 which is already a whole different category of a car.
And that's your educated opinion.

So are you a straight-line racer that is scared of corners because that's the only way you'll beat an R8v8 or even a RS5. Also, what of the other models which out perform the competition like the S4 and TT-RS, the latter is a car which is down 1.5ltr in capacity and a whole 80hp on an M3 yet matchs the Competition packaged M3 around Hockenheim.

Gutless is a very loose term that doesn't match up to any performance Audi, BMW or Mercedes that I know of.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 06:18 PM   #24
fatjoez
student
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e90

I don't get it
I thought the RS5 was supposed to have a turbo engine
that video says its the same engine as S5?????????????????
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 06:19 PM   #25
giants84
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 x6 5.0

Really so you're going to go with that argument? Do you think a exotic sports car should lose to a sedan/wagon that is not only cheaper but has room for 4+ passengers and cargo but can also beat the more expensive Audi R8 in the 1/4 mile is not a gutless car, okay well lets go with that argument then. I mean because so many drivers buy their car to take it on a curvy road lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 06:32 PM   #26
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
An M5 is quicker than a 997C2, an RS6 is quicker than an Aston Martin DB9. If you believe both these fine sportscars are gutless then you are in a minority.

Sportscars are designed to take corners, that is where the pleasure and difference is between them and so called performance saloons.

Let's just say we disagree here and leave it at that.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 07:48 PM   #27
RingriderM3
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I wouldnt call the R8 gutless...but for a car at that asking price....OBSCENE!!
the R8 V10 is severely overpriced...the R8 V8 is another.....not great value in my opinion.
if you look at the performance numbers of an R8 and the asking price...its just plain stupid.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2010, 02:13 PM   #28
CantDrv55
NJ = guido white trash losers
India
Rep
Drives: '09 Jerez Black M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Guys if you think the Audi wheel is thin then you've never tried a Porsche wheel.
They do offer the thicker steering wheel as an option though. The RS4 steering wheel wasn't too bad but I don't recall seeing thicker steering wheel as an Audi option so I am betting it won't be an option on the RS5 either.

I do agree with the others about the M3 wheel being nice and hefty, I have driven some econo boxes with seriously emaciated steering wheels and the M3 wheel is just perfect for me. I have really big hands so even a "normal" steering wheel feels miniscule.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2010, 07:02 PM   #29
Raine
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E82, '04 E60

beautiful, solid looking car

can't comment on performance though, haven't driven one
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 07:04 AM   #30
jhv
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Data recovery View Post
Awesome car
I want to drive it.

Data recovery
reported for spam. enjoy your ban. you've only been here less than 24 hours, too
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 09:33 AM   #31
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RingriderM3 View Post
I wouldnt call the R8 gutless...but for a car at that asking price....OBSCENE!!
the R8 V10 is severely overpriced...the R8 V8 is another.....not great value in my opinion.
if you look at the performance numbers of an R8 and the asking price...its just plain stupid.
We can all only speak from our experience and what the price may be in your area. Compared to a 997 Carrera S and the Turbo it's performance is in the ball park and the same is true for the abilities of the chassis, now in the UK the prices are also similar so unless things are greatly different in the US to that of the UK then you must also feel the same way about these Porsches. Frankly for the R8's looks and exclusivity I would willingly pay a premium.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 10:04 AM   #32
RingriderM3
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
We can all only speak from our experience and what the price may be in your area. Compared to a 997 Carrera S and the Turbo it's performance is in the ball park and the same is true for the abilities of the chassis, now in the UK the prices are also similar so unless things are greatly different in the US to that of the UK then you must also feel the same way about these Porsches. Frankly for the R8's looks and exclusivity I would willingly pay a premium.
Oh come on Footie....quit hanging your hat on the "exclusive" garbage....Audi's are over priced so smart buyers are not buying them....that's why there are few of them on the road. The R8, the RS line....all severely overpriced for what they deliver
you seem like an intelligent person, dont assume like everyone on here is stupid!...comparing the R8 to a Porsche Turbo...ridiculous!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 10:46 AM   #33
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Oh come on Footie....quit hanging your hat on the "exclusive" garbage....Audi's are over priced so smart buyers are not buying them....that's why there are few of them on the road. The R8, the RS line....all severely overpriced for what they deliver
you seem like an intelligent person, dont assume like everyone on here is stupid!...comparing the R8 to a Porsche Turbo...ridiculous!
How silly of me, I never cotton on to the writing style, it's shiggy.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 11:17 AM   #34
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Well noticed.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 11:26 AM   #35
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

Quote:
ur right, the writing style is very similar haha

back on topic tho, RS5 coming over to North America end of this year correct?

I highly doubt anyone would be upset if they owned any luxury coupe (rs5, m3, cts coupe, boxter, evora)
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 02:18 PM   #36
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

eh
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 05:02 PM   #37
Boost Gomez
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I have to conclude that footie is employed in some capacity at Audi.. In before "he had an M3 before," "looks and exclusivity," "everyone has their own opinion," etc.
      08-02-2010, 05:41 PM   #38
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Gomez View Post
I have to conclude that footie is employed in some capacity at Audi.. In before "he had an M3 before," "looks and exclusivity," "everyone has their own opinion," etc.
Even if I were (which I am not saying), what would be so wrong in that. Can an employee of an automobile company not appreciate other brands of cars?

Look at some of my posts in which I defend BMW's new directions, their adoption of FI, their move into the smaller city car Market and their switch to FWD for this very model. I post with passion regardless of brand but I openly admit to favour AWD and that includes Audi's quattro.

Last edited by footie; 08-03-2010 at 02:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 12:36 AM   #39
Bunkei
Anti-Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

The car is beautiful. For me, buying cars like these boils down to how does the car make you feel. If it makes you feel like a million bucks. If it makes you smile. If it makes you drive the car for no apparent reason other than to just drive it. It cannot therefore be overpriced.

I do not care if the M3 has a 3/10s of an advantage in acceleration or slightly more feedback through the steering. Looking at the M3 does not invoke the same reaction from me compared to the RS5. Audi knows that, and charges accordingly. Even in the reviews where the driver favors the M3, they all have grins on their faces. It's the complete package.

That's enough for me ..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 02:54 AM   #40
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
i think i see more R8 where I loive more than say a 997 gt3. actually, i see more r8 than e9x m3.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 05:05 AM   #41
DASHOCKER
The power of V!
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe steptronic

Garage List
1998 Lexus Gs400  [0.00]
2010 ebony & ivory  [0.00]
2006 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 pics  [0.00]
2009 e92 335 xdrive  [0.00]
Footie is our Audi insider.. I will need him to help me shop.
      08-03-2010, 05:56 AM   #42
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Even if I were (which I am not saying), what would be so wrong in that. Can an employee of an automobile company not appreciate other brands of cars?

Look at some of my posts in which I defend BMW's new directions, their adoption of FI, their move into the smaller city car Market and their switch to FWD for this very model. I post with passion regardless of brand but I openly admit to favour AWD and that includes Audi's quattro.
I am not saying your are an Audi fan/insider/social web employee, but it has nothing to do whether you appreciate/like/defend BMW. I still think you are honest, when you defend BMW going FI, FWD and so, but it doesn't mean much. You could also approve the direction BMW takes, not because you really like it, but because it is BMW's downfall (still not the case yet), what will make Audi, "your brand", "better".
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 06:23 AM   #43
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
I am not saying your are an Audi fan/insider/social web employee, but it has nothing to do whether you appreciate/like/defend BMW. I still think you are honest, when you defend BMW going FI, FWD and so, but it doesn't mean much. You could also approve the direction BMW takes, not because you really like it, but because it is BMW's downfall (still not the case yet), what will make Audi, "your brand", "better".
Do you seriously believe that I want to see BMW fail?

Come on, give a guy a bit of credit, I see BMW adapting to the ever changing world that is automotive industry, sit still and you die, it's as simple as that. The N63's turbo configuration is brilliant and shows that they not only build exceptional N/A engines but are extremely gifted when the turn the mind to Forced Induction.

Will they fail with the next generation of M cars? Not a chance, they will be better than ever in my opinion, though I still believe that AWD is the better option, especially when the extra torque of FI comes into play.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 08:34 PM   #44
RingriderM3
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Do you seriously believe that I want to see BMW fail?

Come on, give a guy a bit of credit, I see BMW adapting to the ever changing world that is automotive industry, sit still and you die, it's as simple as that. The N63's turbo configuration is brilliant and shows that they not only build exceptional N/A engines but are extremely gifted when the turn the mind to Forced Induction.

Will they fail with the next generation of M cars? Not a chance, they will be better than ever in my opinion, though I still believe that AWD is the better option, especially when the extra torque of FI comes into play.
and that's why Audi will never top BMW....well...one of many reasons why Audi will always trail!
Appreciate 0