BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board The official "Ask a cop/deputy anything!" thread

06-03-2022, 06:46 PM   #6029
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsAndGuitars View Post
Why is traffic enforcement practically non-existent in south Florida?

- On I95 cars routinely fly by any time of day or night in moderate traffic - in any lane at upwards of 100mph+

- From our neighborhood, far away from any turnpike / interstate, we can sit in our backyard any night and hear cars and bikes a mile away racing and hitting the top end of 4th gear and beyond on secondary roads.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no prude, but there is a difference between having a little fun and putting other people's lives in danger on public roads. This is unmistakably the latter.

You rarely see anyone pulled over and nowhere in the area seems to be off limits to regular ongoing reckless / dangerous driving. So why is it seemingly so tolerated by law enforcement?
That's a great question. The State Troopers in Florida are probably understaffed just like every other department. There's simply not enough Troopers on the road to enforce it consistently.
Appreciate 1
lakefront568.00
      06-04-2022, 03:18 PM   #6030
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Multiple people were stabbed in an Encino, California hospital. The suspect became a barricaded suspect after locking himself in a hospital room. He was later taken into custody by LAPD after developing a tactical plan.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 10:39 AM   #6031
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Is Cali an open carry state?

Took the wife to an Estate sale (Ventura county) As we arrive at the location, I see this line of people standing on the sidewalk. You got to be kidding me. We have to take a number, wait in line, to go rummage thru some dead people's stuff??

Anyway, the "bouncer" at the door, issuing the stickies with our number, has a pistol in his front pocket, the butt just hanging out towards his hip.
      06-06-2022, 10:42 AM   #6032
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post

Took the wife to an Estate sale (Ventura county) As we arrive at the location, I see this line of people standing on the sidewalk. You got to be kidding me. We have to take a number, wait in line, to go rummage thru some dead people's stuff??

Anyway, the "bouncer" at the door, issuing the stickies with our number, has a pistol in his front pocket, the butt just hanging out towards his hip.
California is not an open carry state, but it is a CCW state. His firearm shouldn't have been visible if he has/had a CCW. Maybe he was an off-duty cop helping out. I know off-duty cops who do what you're describing.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 10:47 AM   #6033
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:

I went to an estate sale here in AZ once where I had to wait to get in. Guy who died was a musician and online I could see a lot of gear I wanted for my studio. But dayum. No one was carrying that I could see. Scottsdale AZ is kinda safe though. But then, we had the ferals attack that Mercedes dealer back last year so maybe I need to rethink.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25306.00
      06-06-2022, 10:54 AM   #6034
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
No we are not an open carry state, but we are a CCW state. His firearm shouldn't have been visible if he has/had a CCW. Maybe he was an off-duty cop helping out. I know off-duty cops who do what you're describing.
Licensed security guard can carry?

CCW, shouldn't it be concealed? Just hanging on the edge of your pocket seems . . . reckless.
      06-06-2022, 11:01 AM   #6035
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No we are not an open carry state, but we are a CCW state. His firearm shouldn't have been visible if he has/had a CCW. Maybe he was an off-duty cop helping out. I know off-duty cops who do what you're describing.
Licensed security guard can carry?

CCW, shouldn't it be concealed? Just hanging on the edge of your pocket seems . . . reckless.
Yes they can. There are provisions, but they can. Many have CCW's.

P.S. Yes, it shall be concealed, but like I said…..maybe he was an off-duty cop. We can open carry.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 11:20 AM   #6036
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
That's a great question. The State Troopers in Florida are probably understaffed just like every other department. There's simply not enough Troopers on the road to enforce it consistently.
I'll tell you what, between unpatrolled HOA communities and public roads there is a gold mine of opportunity to crack down on the insane driving habits of Floridians. That said I am aware of the potential dangers of traffic stops and fully respect the risks our LEOs take every day. But for those with the background, training and ability to assume the risk, this could be huge for an organization that could perhaps be deputized as an extension of local enforcement and fix a huge public safety problem.
Sedan_Clan25306.00
      06-06-2022, 12:41 PM   #6037
Watching The World Burn
Lengthy but not a Girthy Member
Rep
Drives: 1971 Honda Civic

Quote:

P.S. Yes, it shall be concealed, but like I said…..maybe he was an off-duty cop. We can open carry.
Can you open carry while not in uniform though?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 12:48 PM   #6038
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watching The World Burn View Post
Quote:

Can you open carry while not in uniform though?
If my badge is visible (…not that it's required by state law). I do it just so I don't get approached by other officers and make an issue out of it. Most people are oblivious when I open carry anyway; there's a lack of situational awareness. I rarely do it, but when I do I have my badge clipped right next to my firearm.

I notice everything: knives (..stowed/folded in a pocket or open carried on a belt), weird bulges, etc.
Appreciate 2
      06-06-2022, 01:14 PM   #6039
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
weird bulges, etc.
Quit staring at my package!!!
vreihen1615647.50
Buug95918237.00
Dino GT35149.00
      06-06-2022, 01:15 PM   #6040
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
weird bulges, etc.

You're blessed!!!!! Might you be mixed with black?!?….my brotha' from a vanilla mutha'!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 02:22 PM   #6041
Watching The World Burn
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

You're blessed!!!!! Might you be mixed with black?!?….my brotha' from a vanilla mutha'!!!
That's just his hernia. He's going to have that fixed when he has a six figure sum saved up so he can access the American health care system.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25306.00
UncleWede18181.50
      06-06-2022, 03:52 PM   #6042
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's just his hernia.
BOTH OF YOU QUIT STARING AT MY PACKAGE(s)

06-08-2022, 01:22 PM   #6043
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Interestingly, I was propositioned to become the School Resource Deputy for a local high school. I would lose my current schedule with 3 days off per week in favor of a 5-day work week with traditional weekends and holidays off. I am unsure what I'm going to do.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 01:28 PM   #6044
Watching The World Burn
Rep

Quote:
Interestingly, I was propositioned to become the School Resource Deputy for a local high school. I would lose my current schedule with 3 days off per week in favor of a 5-day work week with traditional weekends and holidays off. I am unsure what I'm going to do.
I know an officer who does that - he loves it. But he also really really hated trying to stay awake on a night shift. But its still kind of sad the type of stuff he sees happen even at those ages. World is going downhill fast it feels.

I never really asked him as it just occurred to me, but would you get the summer off if school isn't in session? That could be a major bonus. He and I will probably go grab some wings in July once my work dies down a little.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25306.00
      06-08-2022, 01:30 PM   #6045
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I know an officer who does that - he loves it. But he also really really hated trying to stay awake on a night shift. But its still kind of sad the type of stuff he sees happen even at those ages. World is going downhill fast it feels.

I never really asked him as it just occurred to me, but would you get the summer off if school isn't in session? That could be a major bonus. He and I will probably go grab some wings in July once my work dies down a little.
I would go back to the line during the summers.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 01:45 PM   #6046
Watching The World Burn
Rep

Quote:
Do you think it would make you less situationally aware? Guess that would be my concern. But frick schools get a crap ton of PA/holiday days on top of all the statutory holidays. I suspect it would be a nice gig.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25306.00
      06-08-2022, 01:52 PM   #6047
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Do you think it would make you less situationally aware? Guess that would be my concern. But frick schools get a crap ton of PA/holiday days on top of all the statutory holidays. I suspect it would be a nice gig.
There is some concern about complacency. Patrol awareness/knowledge is a perishable skill. I also have aspirations to jump on a bike for a few years and get off the main line, so I really focus on my traffic knowledge. The School Resource position is kind of, "Out of sight. Out of mind," so I also don't want to be forgotten about when the bike becomes available.
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2022, 01:56 PM   #6048
leopard print
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Really well for an Asian.

Quote:
Just stay away from the jailbait.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25306.00
UncleWede18181.50
      06-08-2022, 01:57 PM   #6049
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopard print View Post
Quote:
Just stay away from the jailbait.
Another legitimate concern. Jailbait allegations. No thanks!!!
Appreciate 3
      06-08-2022, 02:37 PM   #6050
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Another legitimate concern. Jailbait allegations. No thanks!!!
We used to have School resource officers, and then the SJW pushed to have students polled to see if they were made uncomfortable have police officers in the schools, 90%+ were in favour so of course they removed them. I knew a few of the guys doing it and they really liked it and thought it was worthwhile.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25306.00
paquet629.50