BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board The official "Ask a cop/deputy anything!" thread

11-18-2022, 06:10 AM   #7107
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
https://twitter.com/rawsalerts/statu...d_BiaSWBIAipwg

L.A. County residents who voted to keep District Attorney Gascon should be ashamed of themselves. He is no good for anybody in the county (…except the criminals).
Maybe the criminals and their families outvoted the sane residents.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 09:48 AM   #7108
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:

L.A. County residents who voted to keep District Attorney Gascon should be ashamed of themselves. He is no good for anybody in the county (…except the criminals).
It says the SHERIFF released him, not the DA. They didn't have enough evidence to hold him, never even presented to DA. Sheriff, who got voted out.

And to make this very clear, I am NOT supporting DA. . .
      11-18-2022, 10:06 AM   #7109
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Quote:

It says the SHERIFF released him, not the DA. They didn't have enough evidence to hold him, never even presented to DA. Sheriff, who got voted out.

And to make this very clear, I am NOT supporting DA. . .
There is more beneath the surface. Trust me, this is a D.A. issue. We, as law enforcement, can't file. The D.A.'s office needs to file. If the D.A. says they will not file charges, we cannot hold a person; it's a rights violation. We wouldn't have been able to formulate probable cause for the arrest if we didn't have evidence. What happened is the D.A. doesn't want to file attempt murder charges.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 10:12 AM   #7110
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

All hope is not lost though, just because they let him go now, doesn't mean the pressure won't build and him get prosecuted.

Federal?
      11-18-2022, 10:19 AM   #7111
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
I just need a Batman suit.
What a shame that Halloween is over, because I'd love to see y'all donning a Batman suit/mask/cape on a police motorcycle.....
      11-18-2022, 10:34 AM   #7112
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
All hope is not lost though, just because they let him go now, doesn't mean the pressure won't build and him get prosecuted.

Federal?
I'm not holding out for justice. We have a deep blue Governor, District Attorney, L.A. City Mayor and now an incoming Sheriff who will be a Board of Supervisor marionette.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Quote:
What a shame that Halloween is over, because I'd love to see y'all donning a Batman suit/mask/cape on a police motorcycle.....
I'll make it happen for you.

BTW, are you on the Ross-Tech forums?
Appreciate 1
vreihen1619087.50
      11-18-2022, 12:46 PM   #7113
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

People should (peacefully) march in the streets if there is no justice.
      11-18-2022, 01:29 PM   #7114
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

Sedan_Clan

Hey Steve, are you too hot to be a cop?

https://nypost.com/2022/11/16/im-a-h...o-fight-crime/
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 03:03 PM   #7115
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
Sedan_Clan

Hey Steve, are you too hot to be a cop?

https://nypost.com/2022/11/16/im-a-h...o-fight-crime/
I'm sure that attractive female cops deal with that issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 04:10 PM   #7116
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan26655.00
Dino GT35064.50
Buug95921301.50
      11-18-2022, 04:12 PM   #7117
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
Quote:
Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

#MurfkilledmeLOL
Appreciate 2
Dino GT35064.50
      11-18-2022, 08:14 PM   #7118
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Does your department send out "surveys" after calls for service??? Sarge wants me to sit in on some demo that somehow ties into CAD/Records
      11-18-2022, 08:20 PM   #7119
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Does your department send out "surveys" after calls for service??? Sarge wants me to sit in on some demo that somehow ties into CAD/Records
My department doesn't do that. If something is significant about the call for service, the person can come into the station and file a complaint or issue a commendation.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 08:24 PM   #7120
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
I had a unit commander who wasn't well liked, although he though he was very popular. He had a comment/suggestion box installed and I'm here to tell you that you'd be surprised what can get stuffed through one of those tiny mail slots.
Appreciate 1
Buug95921301.50
      11-20-2022, 01:37 PM   #7121
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Glo View Post
How do you feel about officers that report other officers to internal Affairs? Do you have a different opinion about this than your colleagues? Have you had to do it yourself?
Well I suppose that would depend on the severity of the action. I've never had to do such a thing and I imagine it is a tough situation to be in. Often, peer involvement is enough to right the course rather than having to navigate more official channels. Most of us have been given breaks in life at some point, so I see my partners as being no different. A mistake is simply that. A pattern is something entirely different.
Appreciate 1
Dino GT35064.50
      11-20-2022, 01:54 PM   #7122
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
What do movies and TV get wrong and right about police work?
The first thing 99% of movies and shows get wrong are "gun sounds" when there is no physical manipulation of the firearm itself; that, and officers who decide to rack the slide/pump the action/charge the handle once they are waist deep in a gunfight. It just doesn't happen like that. Our duty weapons are always live and our shotguns/rifles go live the moment they are removed from the storage cradle in our patrol vehicles.

There's so much that Hollywood does wrong, but of all of the shows/movies I've watched throughout the years, "Southland" and "Chicago P.D." are two of the most accurate depictions of field and investigative police work I've seen on television. That's not to say there isn't some embellishment, but the feel, the grit, the internal and professional conflict (…e.g…color outside of the lines here to achieve the greater good there, "appropriate" street justice, etc.) is truly well done.

Quote:
Have you ever used your status to get any freebies or perks, like at a 7-Eleven?
Well yes and no. I suppose it depends on how you are defining "using my status". The answer is "no" if you mean expecting special treatment or freebies simply because I wear a uniform. That would be unethical and simply a poor example of character. Have things been comped for me over the years? Absolutely! ….but I don't expect them to be.

The answer is "yes" when it comes to places that offer an LEO/military/first responder discount. It's there and it's offered for a reason, so why wouldn't I take advantage of the support given to, and/or gracious acknowledgment of my profession?!? I tend to patronize the businesses that support law enforcement/military/first responders more than any businesses that do not.

It's interesting because your inquiry is actually discussed often. There are people in the aforementioned fields that do not ….will not…..take advantage of the legitimate discounts offered citing that it makes them feel weird or they feel wrong for doing it. When asked my opinion, I usually counter with "Did you feel that way when you used your military service to save money when you bought your home?"…."…or to obtain free education for your children?!?"…..etc. The answer is usually "no!" What's the difference?!? Service is service, and with that service comes some benefit(s).
Appreciate 2
      11-20-2022, 02:11 PM   #7123
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for keeping us all safe. I appreciate the work you do.
I appreciate that!

Just know this…..

….none of us are perfect and we make a shit ton of mistakes, but the vast majority of us who entered this field really did it because we want(ed) to help make the community better. When one of us does something shady and/or reprehensible, just remember they are the outliers and do not represent the norm.
Appreciate 4
Dino GT35064.50
T0RM3NT4425.00
Lady Jane78765.00
paquet631.50
      11-20-2022, 09:52 PM   #7124
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

This candid interview was nice to listen to.

Appreciate 2
Lady Jane78765.00
      11-21-2022, 12:33 PM   #7125
E93Beast
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93

Not sure if it has been covered. Thoughts on Christopher Dorner ? Hope I got the name right.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2022, 12:39 PM   #7126
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93Beast View Post
Not sure if it has been covered. Thoughts on Christopher Dorner ? Hope I got the name right.
I remember that situation like it was yesterday. A crime spree spanning four counties that eventually ended with a cabin going up in flames. Dorner was problematic and there were a lot of red flags concerning him, but despite the department working to address those issues, a person who has gone off the rails is both dangerous and unpredictable.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2022, 02:33 PM   #7127
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Weekend DUI checkpoint: '13 drivers were cited for being unlicensed, and 3 were cited for driving on a suspended license' Yet no vehicles were impounded???
      11-21-2022, 07:37 PM   #7128
E93Beast
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93

Quote:
I remember that situation like it was yesterday. A crime spree spanning four counties that eventually ended with a cabin going up in flames. Dorner was problematic and there were a lot of red flags concerning him, but despite the department working to address those issues, a person who has gone off the rails is both dangerous and unpredictable.
But do you believe he was correct in some instances ? Crooked cops type stuff ? A LOT of people are aware of the "if you ain't white, you ain't right" slogan. SoCal locals anyways. I'm sure you know the department as well.
Also what are your thoughts on how things were handled ?
Personally I was and still am PISSED at the cowardly cops that shot up a truck with a mom and daughter trying to make a living because they were so scared of Dorner. Truck didn't even match the description FFS.

To make it clear, I have no issues with LEO's, hell my buddy was the field Sargeant of 5 cities until he moved.
I do however have an issue with cops / rookies that should NOT be on the streets and are a trainwreck waiting to happen.
Appreciate 0