BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) Anyone else going to F1 in Austin next month?

10-16-2019, 10:59 AM   #1
Faredo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Anyone else going to F1 in Austin next month?

My wife purchased me a ticket and airfare for my birthday. While im a huge Motorsports fan, ive never been and actually dont watch much F1. Any tips or homework for a first timer?
Mods related to trouble shooting posts: Stock Turbos, MHD OTS V7 stage 2+ 93 oct, VRSF Downpipes, VRSF Relocated inlets, CTS Turbo 7" Intercooler, Tial BOV with upgraded line 5.56mm, index 12 injectors, A/T OEM Flash.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 04:11 PM   #2
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

spending some time on F1's Youtube channel to catch up might be a good idea..

https://www.youtube.com/user/Formula1/videos ..
      10-16-2019, 05:52 PM   #3
newuser310
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335

"Formula 1: Drive to Survive" is on Netflix and is the best way to get insight into the teams, drivers and circuits. It is a phenomenally well done show. It's from last season, obviously, but it's easy enough to catch yourself up to speed on who has gone where and how they've done.
Appreciate 1
Faredo311.00
      10-16-2019, 06:30 PM   #4
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: 335D M-Sport, X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faredo View Post
My wife purchased me a ticket and airfare for my birthday. While im a huge Motorsports fan, ive never been and actually dont watch much F1. Any tips or homework for a first timer?
Congrats on the awesome present. If I may ask, did you get GA tickets or grandstand tickets?

I ask because if you received GA tickets, then make sure to walk around all of the track on the days leading up to the race to find the best viewing spot. Then make sure to get to the track early to save yourself a spot. If you have grandstand tickets, it makes your life much easier but still make sure to walk around the whole track to see the cars at different spots. They'll look and sound different in different areas (i.e. in the braking zones, flat out on the straight, cornering in the esses).

Make sure to wear comfortable shoes since you'll be doing a lot of walking regardless where you are sitting.

Aside from the F1 racing, there will be a few support races as well. They can be fun to watch as well. There's usually a "support paddock" for these series that's accessible to fans. You can usually get much closer to these cars and even talk with the drivers and mechanics.

They also have a tower at the track that supposedly gives you a great view of the entire track. Might be worth checking out, especially during a practice session to get a different perspective of the cars and the speed.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58873.50
      10-16-2019, 08:20 PM   #5
shootnjunky
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 bmw m3

Will be there as well
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 09:04 PM   #6
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

I'll be there.

If possible, I'd recommend checking out some online discussions (https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/) about the sport and the upcoming Mexico GP on October 27, 2019. Watch that weekend's events, etc. Get a feel for the teams, etc. I second the Drive to Survive Netflix show as a good primer, also.
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 1
Faredo311.00
      10-16-2019, 10:24 PM   #7
Faredo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit4 View Post
Congrats on the awesome present. If I may ask, did you get GA tickets or grandstand tickets?

I ask because if you received GA tickets, then make sure to walk around all of the track on the days leading up to the race to find the best viewing spot. Then make sure to get to the track early to save yourself a spot. If you have grandstand tickets, it makes your life much easier but still make sure to walk around the whole track to see the cars at different spots. They'll look and sound different in different areas (i.e. in the braking zones, flat out on the straight, cornering in the esses).

Make sure to wear comfortable shoes since you'll be doing a lot of walking regardless where you are sitting.

Aside from the F1 racing, there will be a few support races as well. They can be fun to watch as well. There's usually a "support paddock" for these series that's accessible to fans. You can usually get much closer to these cars and even talk with the drivers and mechanics.

They also have a tower at the track that supposedly gives you a great view of the entire track. Might be worth checking out, especially during a practice session to get a different perspective of the cars and the speed.

Good info.
GA I suppose, i have a seat on turn 4.
Mods related to trouble shooting posts: Stock Turbos, MHD OTS V7 stage 2+ 93 oct, VRSF Downpipes, VRSF Relocated inlets, CTS Turbo 7" Intercooler, Tial BOV with upgraded line 5.56mm, index 12 injectors, A/T OEM Flash.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 02:28 AM   #8
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:

This is more or less how I prepare before going to Brands,comfortable shoes are a must.As far as food is concerned we prefer to prepare a mini hamper rather than queue for the not so palatable grub available there,the exception is when going to Goodwood where the food is superb.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 06:38 AM   #9
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faredo View Post
Good info.
GA I suppose, i have a seat on turn 4.
Looks like you have the bleacher seats in that case, which is a step above GA. Which is fine, because I've watched a few GP's with just GA tickets and, for the most part, the experience sucks. Having the bleacher seats will be nice because you'll be elevated above ground level and be able to see much more. That and you wont have to fight for a good spot by the fence.

Looking at the COTA website, the photos they have from the bleachers look like a decent view of the track. Turn 4 is the esses, so you most likely wont see passing there but you should have a nice view of how quickly the car's change direction.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58873.50
      10-17-2019, 06:44 AM   #10
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
This is more or less how I prepare before going to Brands,comfortable shoes are a must.As far as food is concerned we prefer to prepare a mini hamper rather than queue for the not so palatable grub available there,the exception is when going to Goodwood where the food is superb.
My experience is limited to the Montreal GP and have been fortunate to find that their food at the track is quite good and has a nice variety. But the best part is that they allow you to bring your own alcohol as long as its not in a glass bottle. Unfortunately, as I understand it, COTA does not allow you bring your own alcohol

On an unrelated topic, if anyone here is interested in going to the Montreal GP next year, let me know. I'm having issues finding friends that have time to go next year and considering the possibility of attending the race alone.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58873.50
      10-17-2019, 07:20 AM   #11
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
My experience is limited to the Montreal GP and have been fortunate to find that their food at the track is quite good and has a nice variety. But the best part is that they allow you to bring your own alcohol as long as its not in a glass bottle. Unfortunately, as I understand it, COTA does not allow you bring your own alcohol

On an unrelated topic, if anyone here is interested in going to the Montreal GP next year, let me know. I'm having issues finding friends that have time to go next year and considering the possibility of attending the race alone.
Are you planning on driving there?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 07:27 AM   #12
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Are you planning on driving there?
Yes. I live in MD, so Montreal is only a 9 hour drive away. I've considered flying, but the flight times departing Montreal make it hard for me. You either have to leave the race early to catch a flight on Sunday or stay through to Monday.

But driving up isnt so bad. The Adirondack Mountains in upstate NY are quite nice to drive through, I always enjoy that section of the trip. And driving up means I get to choose when I leave Montreal, so I can walk the track for as long as I want after the race. It's always a bit of fun standing by the pit wall and watching the cars get wheeled down to each garage and seeing the mechanics tear them down. The Williams team gave away some free merchandise last year and I got to see Martin Brundle as well.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58873.50
      10-17-2019, 07:41 AM   #13
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Yes. I live in MD, so Montreal is only a 9 hour drive away. I've considered flying, but the flight times departing Montreal make it hard for me. You either have to leave the race early to catch a flight on Sunday or stay through to Monday.

But driving up isnt so bad. The Adirondack Mountains in upstate NY are quite nice to drive through, I always enjoy that section of the trip. And driving up means I get to choose when I leave Montreal, so I can walk the track for as long as I want after the race. It's always a bit of fun standing by the pit wall and watching the cars get wheeled down to each garage and seeing the mechanics tear them down. The Williams team gave away some free merchandise last year and I got to see Martin Brundle as well.
9 hours drive over here is considered an eternity and I feel guilty as I have a 25 min drive to Brands,about an hour to Goodwood and under 2 hours to Silverstone.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 08:03 AM   #14
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
9 hours drive over here is considered an eternity and I feel guilty as I have a 25 min drive to Brands,about an hour to Goodwood and under 2 hours to Silverstone.
Consider me jealous! Goodwood is definitely on my bucket list (as is the Isle of Man TT).
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58873.50
      10-17-2019, 08:10 AM   #15
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Consider me jealous! Goodwood is definitely on my bucket list (as is the Isle of Man TT).
One of our M5 F10 posters lives on the Isle of Man,no speed limits on some parts there,he's a lucky devil!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 08:27 AM   #16
msk340i
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i M sport

If you can buy a parking pass do it and drive yourself there otherwise their shuttle from downtown is decent. Don't Uber unless you're not starting in downtown.
If you're about nightlife go out to some of the upscale bars and you can probably find some drivers (mainly on Wednesday and Thursday nights. I saw Ricciardo from a far and Ocon and Gasly together at a different bar).
When you get there enjoy other races they can be fun. Fan zone is also fun, you can change tires on a model, drive on a "simulator", go to some teams' hospitality suites. If you're on a grandstand then you're good, if your ticket is for GA I found that T12,15,16 are the best. Get ready to jump on the track before the race ends so you can get a chance to be in front of the podium.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 06:05 PM   #17
Woots
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4///M Roadster

If anyone’s getting pit lane access be sure to say hi when you swing by the RedBull garage
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 09:13 PM   #18
shootnjunky
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 bmw m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woots View Post
If anyone’s getting pit lane access be sure to say hi when you swing by the RedBull garage
Awesome
Appreciate 0