BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion Extended Warranty??

Yesterday, 07:05 AM   #1
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Extended Warranty??

Hi all. I drive a 2021 BMW X5. We (our only car now) are at 22K miles and I expect to drive about 10K a year. The warranty is about to die and I wondered what thoughts were on buying an extended warranty?

I have never had any issue with this car. But I know stuff can get pricey.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:24 AM   #2
Dan B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440i xDrive Gran Coupe

I opted for the extended warranty. The cost was very reasonable vs an average repair.

There is a dealer on the forums that will sell you a warranty for a great price. I did not use them though so I cannot comment on the service. My dealer matched the pricing and threw in some nice extras.
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1676787
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:41 AM   #3
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

You do not want to own a German car without some sort of extended warranty or service contract. I got one from the dealer who sells them here. In the past eight months it has covered $8,000 of repairs on my 2018 F80. The policy cost me $3,400 for an additional 100K/5yrs.
      Yesterday, 08:48 AM   #4
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.74]
I must disagree about buying an extended warranty. I have owned BMWs for over 50 years and have never had any problems in the first 5 years of ownership. My current M2 is 6 1/2 years old with nothing other than regular maintenance needed.

Remember the companies sell extended warranties to make money. You are normally better taking the warranty funds and putting them in a savings account in case something does go wrong.

Lots of threads on the pros and cons of extended warranties.
      Yesterday, 09:43 AM   #5
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
I must disagree about buying an extended warranty. I have owned BMWs for over 50 years and have never had any problems in the first 5 years of ownership. My current M2 is 6 1/2 years old with nothing other than regular maintenance needed.

Remember the companies sell extended warranties to make money. You are normally better taking the warranty funds and putting them in a savings account in case something does go wrong.

It all depends on the risk you are willing to take. In my case, I would have been out of pocket $8k instead of $3,400. And I still have 3yrs and 75k of miles of coverage.
      Yesterday, 10:02 AM   #6
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
It all depends on the risk you are willing to take. In my case, I would have been out of pocket $8k instead of $3,400. And I still have 3yrs and 75k of miles of coverage.
How much of that $8k was due to the "M tax"?

For the one time someone needs a serious repair under warranty, there will be 1000s of people that will never need one. Of course the extended warranty people are in the business to make money, not unlike insurance policies. Except you can't opt out of one.

I always recommend finding a good independent shop when out of warranty and learning basic DIY, but of course that's not for everybody.
Appreciate 1
DanG10798.00
      Yesterday, 10:40 AM   #7
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
How much of that $8k was due to the "M tax"?

For the one time someone needs a serious repair under warranty, there will be 1000s of people that will never need one. Of course the extended warranty people are in the business to make money, not unlike insurance policies. Except you can't opt out of one.

I always recommend finding a good independent shop when out of warranty and learning basic DIY, but of course that's not for everybody.
I needed a new gas tank that cost $4k. Not sure I could have had it done anywhere else. I also needed a new valve cover, which I'm sure would have been cheaper going to and indie mechanic. So to date I've come out ahead.

Edit: I do as much as I can DIY. But I also just paid $225 for the three oil change program which is cheaper than DIY. The only thing I enjoy to do is brakes, and that's a two hour job for me taking my time to change rotors and pads.

Last edited by DocL; Yesterday at 12:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:13 PM   #8
MADBMWX5MC
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post

DanG you make an excellent argument based on your personal experience and in my book that's "respect". For me, I have gone both way with extended warranties...have wasted $$ and have them cover expensive repairs on my american and german cars...that would have far exceeded me placing $$ in the bank waiting for something to go kaput. BTW, I have owned only 1 japanese car...a 1980 Mazda GLC many moons ago (dang think would never die) and could basically do all repairs myself. Dealers and those who sell these are in for the $$, no doubts. But man, what a sweet sound when a repair is worth 1,000 dollars and you hear..."it's covered under your extended warranty". Of course, the sweeter sound would be...the sound of never having to pay for one...which is your kind of sound.

Last edited by MADBMWX5MC; Yesterday at 12:35 PM..
Appreciate 1
DanG10798.00
      Yesterday, 08:45 PM   #9
Highline-Autos.com
Rep
Drives: '15 BMW i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinaz View Post
Hi all. I drive a 2021 BMW X5. We (our only car now) are at 22K miles and I expect to drive about 10K a year. The warranty is about to die and I wondered what thoughts were on buying an extended warranty?

I have never had any issue with this car. But I know stuff can get pricey.
Hey James, reach out for extended warranty information from both of our warranty providers Fidelity and Freedom Warranty, repairs accepted at all BMW dealerships in the US/Canada. I'll be able to provide coverage lengths, pricing, and example contracts that explain coverage.

Trenton O. Gibson
tgibson@highline-autos.com
Highline Autos
Direct: 602.909.9216
Office: 480.348.0777

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 02 https://bit.ly/49A6n4M
Appreciate 0