BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum G29 - Trouble / Gremlins / other Issues

06-18-2019, 03:40 PM   #23
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullspace View Post
The CarPlay connection is indeed unreliable. It frequently fails to connect.

My connected drive app doesn't work at all. Not sure if it's the car or the server. The weather app doesn't always update properly either.

Otherwise no issues. And these are pretty minor IMO.
I wonder if it is as much (or more so) Apple as it is BMW. I connected my wife's iPhone (exact same model & software version as mine) to the car as secondary phone, no CarPlay. And it connects just fine every time. Mine is in CarPlay mode and every now and then will not connect (like almost everyone seems to experience from what I read in the forums).

The Connected app has some functions that work quite well (fuel level) and others that don't - it still shows my car at a location where it was about 3 weeks ago. I used to have a picture of a Z4 and now it just shows a car under a cover.
I can also confirm that CarPlay issue occurs in my M3CS and M2C. Also my previous M3 ZCP.

Very random. Connects when it wants to then Other times it never connects.
      06-21-2019, 03:52 PM   #24
Jim S
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i G29

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
No big deal but worth mentioning anyway. I have had to replace the battery in both remote controls, one at 5 weeks and the other at 8 weeks. These batteries should last years not weeks. May be dud batteries, time will tell.
Well, that's yet another failed remote control battery today and the car is only 10 weeks old. Three in total, two in one key and one in the other so it is unlikely to be a faulty remote control.

I will be taking this up with my dealer and will report back to the forum when I get an answer.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 11:39 AM   #25
J400uk
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 840i Convertible

My main gremlins are the wireless charging being extremely slow and causing my iPhone X to overheat, and the CarPlay connection being quite intermittent.

Only other annoyance I've had is the Adaptive cruise control has stopped working a couple of times under heavy rain, presumably as the sensor can't see clearly. It's always come back though

I had the stones in brake discs thing a couple of times when the car was new but hasn't happened again, and I've done over 5000 miles now...
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2019, 08:18 AM   #26
rkiger
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

Chassis Stabilizatiion Malfunction

Anyone get a Chassis Stabilization Malfunction error code and other major system failures? Have the Z4 M40i for 4 weeks and upon starting the car the other day I get an error message stating Car is OK to drive but contact your BMW dealer. Then it said the car has a Chassis Stabilization malfunction. Took car to BMW dealer and diagnosed many system faults, Chassis Stabilization, Cruise Control, Blind Spot Detection, Pedestrian Detection, Collision Avoidance, GPS System not working, and multiple other system faults. Also the car was very hard to turn at low speeds 10 MPH and under. Anyway service advisor said BMW had a software fix. 5 hours later the car was working normally. 7 days later I start to get various system faults again. After turning the car on and off a couple of times the faults disappeared. But then the started up again. Going back to the dealer again. Anyone have any of these issues?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 08:27 AM   #27
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2022 992 C2S Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkiger View Post
Anyone get a Chassis Stabilization Malfunction error code and other major system failures? Have the Z4 M40i for 4 weeks and upon starting the car the other day I get an error message stating Car is OK to drive but contact your BMW dealer. Then it said the car has a Chassis Stabilization malfunction. Took car to BMW dealer and diagnosed many system faults, Chassis Stabilization, Cruise Control, Blind Spot Detection, Pedestrian Detection, Collision Avoidance, GPS System not working, and multiple other system faults. Also the car was very hard to turn at low speeds 10 MPH and under. Anyway service advisor said BMW had a software fix. 5 hours later the car was working normally. 7 days later I start to get various system faults again. After turning the car on and off a couple of times the faults disappeared. But then the started up again. Going back to the dealer again. Anyone have any of these issues?
There have been some posts on this in the X5/X7 fora that use the same iDrive 7 system. In some cases the head control unit was defective and needed to be replaced.
      07-01-2019, 09:22 AM   #28
juju86
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

I had 2 small issues with my new Z4 (1 month) :
- had the key in my pocket, open the trunk and the alarm starts
- I have a small noise around the left part of the window/door of driver. Noise is still there with the roof opened. I don't know if it comes from a seal of the window or the door.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 12:29 PM   #29
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
Carplay intermittent issues is kind of normal on iDrive I've found. Happened on iDrive 5 in my '17 m240i, happens in my wife's '19 X3 with iDrive 6, and happens in my '20 z4 m40i with iDrive 7. Just a fact of life. Usually turn off bluetooth and back on fixes it. Other times I have to delete it out and re-add.

Another issue that happened last week was low oil warning. Sitting just over 5k miles and I was driving around 11:30 at night. Came up saying oil at a minimum and to add a quart. Took it to the dealer and they added a quart. Measured and everything was good. I've heard of other models with the B58 needing an extra quart at the beginning, but this is the first of 3 BMWs I've had with the B58 that needed the quart. Who knows. OCC on my m240i with JB4 showed zero oil after 5k miles in the can so I don't think the B58 eats oil, just that the manufacturer doesn't fill it up enough at the factory, or a small oil leak (which my m240i had a small leak from the Turbo return line).

I've had issues with iDrive 6 and 7 recently recognizing the keys and the associated driver profiles as well. Sometimes I go to get in and it's in my wife's position and visa versa. Might need to delete the driver profiles and recreate/associate.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 11:55 AM   #30
mjohanc
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i xdrive GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohanc View Post
1. Wireless Charging pad packed up about a week after delivery. And now waiting for new part
2. Car has lost all Internet connectivity now for the 3rd time and been back to the dealer twice already... Very unhappy about this! They don't seem to know what the fault is. Network issues or the telematics unit... Don't feel like having my car stripped and taken apart
This is what my car looks like now.... To sort out network and wireless charger. Some part does not exist yet, and waiting on Germany now. Not happy
Attached Images

2022 BMW M440i xdrive GC
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 12:05 PM   #31
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
Ouch, hope you get it back soon.

Dave
Appreciate 1
mjohanc14.50
      07-03-2019, 01:22 PM   #32
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep

That sucks. The wireless charger as such is useless on longer trips and under load as it gets too hot and the phone eventually shuts off. I have started charging my phone via the neighboring USB-A slot and keep it face down on the charger on longer trips.
      07-03-2019, 10:53 PM   #33
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
1. Wireless Charging pad packed up about a week after delivery. And now waiting for new part
2. Car has lost all Internet connectivity now for the 3rd time and been back to the dealer twice already... Very unhappy about this! They don't seem to know what the fault is. Network issues or the telematics unit... Don't feel like having my car stripped and taken apart
This is what my car looks like now.... To sort out network and wireless charger. Some part does not exist yet, and waiting on Germany now. Not happy
Seeing this just hurts. Hope it works out!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 04:53 AM   #34
dwagner95
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by German1967 View Post
That sucks. The wireless charger as such is useless on longer trips and under load as it gets too hot and the phone eventually shuts off. I have started charging my phone via the neighboring USB-A slot and keep it face down on the charger on longer trips.
Well this is sad to read. Picking my car up in Munich next Tuesday for my Euro Delivery trip - I guess I should bring cables for phone charging?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 07:38 AM   #35
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwagner95 View Post
Quote:
Well this is sad to read. Picking my car up in Munich next Tuesday for my Euro Delivery trip - I guess I should bring cables for phone charging?
As a precaution? Yes - given you will be driving on long trips. Try it though, if you only run music via BT and no CarPlay/Navi in the background the temperature stays lower - and don't close the "drawer".
      07-04-2019, 08:44 AM   #36
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwagner95 View Post
My phone does get hot but it hasn’t shut down yet, even on a 8+ hours road trip. I have an iPhone Xs & very thin flexible plastic cover. Maybe that’s enough to reduce the electric flow enough so it doesn’t get that hot? . To be clear, it does get hot, just not to the point that it shuts itself off.

But to German’s point: bring a charging cable just in case.
Appreciate 2
      07-05-2019, 02:33 AM   #37
dwagner95
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
My phone does get hot but it hasn’t shut down yet, even on a 8+ hours road trip. I have an iPhone Xs & very thin flexible plastic cover. Maybe that’s enough to reduce the electric flow enough so it doesn’t get that hot? . To be clear, it does get hot, just not to the point that it shuts itself off.

But to German’s point: bring a charging cable just in case.
Sounds good. I use an android phone, so no carplay, just bluetooth for phone/music. We'll see how it goes but I'll definitely bring a cable.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 01:37 PM   #38
Passionata
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive

Quote:
Not ideal

btw can you recommend me a german forum ,
thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 02:31 PM   #39
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionata View Post
Quote:
Not ideal

thanks
Zroadster.com
      07-07-2019, 09:01 AM   #40
Passionata
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionata View Post
Quote:
Not ideal

thanks
Zroadster.com
Thanks ,that one i know but doesn t look very busy:-D
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 09:20 PM   #41
slip10
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i X Drive M Sport

Only 2 minor issues so far:

1. An occasional rattle with the top up behind the driver.
2. Sometimes, the alarm goes off when opening the trunk. The key is in my pocket and I've tried standing right next to the trunk or a foot away. Tough to recreate. Just happens sometimes.

I haven't checked with the dealer on either one of these yet. I guess when they get annoying enough...
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 07:05 AM   #42
Jim S
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i G29

Garage List
My HUD failed 3 times in successive drives. I checked the display settings in iDrive and the box was ticked each time. I unticked it then ticked the box again but the HUD still did not work.
On the 4th occasion, the HUD was still not working but I noticed that the box in the display settings for the HUD was not ticked. Ticked it and the HUD started working again. Still OK after a few more drives. Very strange.

Last edited by Jim S; 07-16-2019 at 01:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 08:10 AM   #43
BarrowJon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

I'm sorry, what is HUD?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 08:12 AM   #44
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
Mine has done the same thing maybe 2 or 3 times total since I picked it up. Usually fixes itself after turning the car off and letting it sit for a little (run into the store or something). Hasn’t been consecutive drives though
Appreciate 0