BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board How Many Golfers Here

06-29-2009, 12:10 PM   #23
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfinz View Post
I am! Been playing since I was 18 months old. Played in college but hurt myself my senior year when going after a ball in some very long grass and since then haven't been the same. Ever since graduating, I haven't played much but once/twice a month because of work. Was a +4 handicap (means avg 4 under for those that don't know the handicap system very well), now probably scratch.
just curious how did you hurt yourself in the long grass? did you divot to hard or something? I had a friend who tried to get a ball in the air out of some crazy thick grass anyhow the shock of it messed up his arm for a couple of months
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 02:31 PM   #24
IM_BANNED
Banned
Rep
Drives: Something new soon

All pics from the range.

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 02:36 PM   #25
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep

lol i like how they arrange the balls but that must be annoying since you have to keep bending down and placing them. I like when they just give you a rack and you can scoop them out with your club
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 02:58 PM   #26
IM_BANNED
Banned
Rep
Drives: Something new soon

we used to have pro v1s as range balls
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 03:07 PM   #27
Cab5er
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3 (Sold) 13 A1

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM_BANNED View Post
All pics from the range.

damn only sick clubs setup like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejazbmw View Post
lol i like how they arrange the balls but that must be annoying since you have to keep bending down and placing them. I like when they just give you a rack and you can scoop them out with your club

not really. Just use your clubs

E90 ///M3/ AW/ Fox Red
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 09:03 PM   #28
golfinz
Captain
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite M3

Quote:
just curious how did you hurt yourself in the long grass? did you divot to hard or something? I had a friend who tried to get a ball in the air out of some crazy thick grass anyhow the shock of it messed up his arm for a couple of months
Ya, it was very deep (about 4inches) and when I went after it, there was a root under the ball...somehow I tweaked my wrist where now when I hold the club, my wrist/arm shakes and it hurts sometimes...damaged a nerve.

I don't play much because its hard going from a +4/thinking about turning pro to scratch/1-2. It just isn't fun right now.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 09:15 PM   #29
golfinz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC///M3 View Post
thas insane dude....any advice for an 8-handicap trying to work his way to scratch?????
My advice would to become the best putter and chipper you can. That's where I killed everyone, Im only 5'8, I can hit it a little ways (avg probably 280-290) but I didn't miss/don't miss inside 6 feet. I like my 6ft rule because no matter how far your first putt is away, you will 99.99% of the time, get it within 6ft of the hole.

Secondly, know your wedge distances from 120 yrds and in. Go to the range and start at 120yrds with no wind blowing....hit a bunch of shots till you can get the ball within +-5 yards, then remember what club, how far you took it back, how hard you hit it, etc so you can replicate it. Then move to 100 and do the same, then to 80, 70, 60, 50,... Doing this only sets you up a platform so when you go to the course you can have a starting point for when you get to that distance. I see far too many amateurs get to a shot and not know their club, how hard they are going to hit it, at what height, and they end up "guessing" Hell, its legal to write down on a sheet of paper what yardages a club goes (type it up and tape it to the shaft).

Third, have a "go too" shot shape. When in a pressure packed situation, you want a shot you know you can hit. I sometimes hit a massive cut/slice just because I knew I could hit it and knew where I would end up...away from the trouble, and thats the key to a lot of holes...avoiding the big numbers.

Fourth, have fun...its just a game that can't be perfected. Doesn't matter what you shoot as long as your beat your buddies
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 09:44 AM   #30
MJC///M3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3

Quote:
My advice would to become the best putter and chipper you can. That's where I killed everyone, Im only 5'8, I can hit it a little ways (avg probably 280-290) but I didn't miss/don't miss inside 6 feet. I like my 6ft rule because no matter how far your first putt is away, you will 99.99% of the time, get it within 6ft of the hole.

Secondly, know your wedge distances from 120 yrds and in. Go to the range and start at 120yrds with no wind blowing....hit a bunch of shots till you can get the ball within +-5 yards, then remember what club, how far you took it back, how hard you hit it, etc so you can replicate it. Then move to 100 and do the same, then to 80, 70, 60, 50,... Doing this only sets you up a platform so when you go to the course you can have a starting point for when you get to that distance. I see far too many amateurs get to a shot and not know their club, how hard they are going to hit it, at what height, and they end up "guessing" Hell, its legal to write down on a sheet of paper what yardages a club goes (type it up and tape it to the shaft).

Third, have a "go too" shot shape. When in a pressure packed situation, you want a shot you know you can hit. I sometimes hit a massive cut/slice just because I knew I could hit it and knew where I would end up...away from the trouble, and thats the key to a lot of holes...avoiding the big numbers.

Fourth, have fun...its just a game that can't be perfected. Doesn't matter what you shoot as long as your beat your buddies
hahah..thanks man. I'll do just that....

im pretty nasty from 120 in....I've always had a good short game....just need to refine my long game a bit...and become more consistent..i'll drive it great on three holes..then completely duck-hook one out of bounds another....
crazy game man....

just out of curiousity...with a +4 handicap..you never considered going pro???..i know you said you suffered a serious wrist injury in one of your aforementioned posts....was that truly a hindrance for you?
"You will get there, but it is up to you and you alone. It is what you are willing to do, and how you are willing to get there. You must be relentless, you must be tireless, you must pursue at all costs, so that you are ready, when the time is right." -Dad
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 09:57 AM   #31
golfinz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
hahah..thanks man. I'll do just that....

im pretty nasty from 120 in....I've always had a good short game....just need to refine my long game a bit...and become more consistent..i'll drive it great on three holes..then completely duck-hook one out of bounds another....
crazy game man....

just out of curiousity...with a +4 handicap..you never considered going pro???..i know you said you suffered a serious wrist injury in one of your aforementioned posts....was that truly a hindrance for you?
Cool man, just try and figure out why you hit those snappers...I know when I hit a really bad shot its because Im not comfortable with the way the shot looks in my eye; if you feel that is one reason you hit a bad shot, recognize that, back away, and hit a shot you know you can hit

I did consider going pro but I couldn't grip the club for about a month because it hurt too much after I hurt myself, then when the pain went away, I had a tremor in my had when I did grip the club due to the nerve damage. It was a hindrance for me trying to play pro at the moment...I wanted to start a career as I had signed with a company while I was still in school that was paying me a lot of money, so I wanted to have that guaranteed. Ive began seeing a few doctors again to try to fix the problem because Ive gotten the itch again

Its crazy to think, but even with a +4 I was getting my ass handed to me in college by a lot of guys.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 10:04 AM   #32
MJC///M3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Cool man, just try and figure out why you hit those snappers...I know when I hit a really bad shot its because Im not comfortable with the way the shot looks in my eye; if you feel that is one reason you hit a bad shot, recognize that, back away, and hit a shot you know you can hit

I did consider going pro but I couldn't grip the club for about a month because it hurt too much after I hurt myself, then when the pain went away, I had a tremor in my had when I did grip the club due to the nerve damage. It was a hindrance for me trying to play pro at the moment...I wanted to start a career as I had signed with a company while I was still in school that was paying me a lot of money, so I wanted to have that guaranteed. Ive began seeing a few doctors again to try to fix the problem because Ive gotten the itch again

Its crazy to think, but even with a +4 I was getting my ass handed to me in college by a lot of guys.

gotcha. yea i know how competitive it gets as you move lower and lower in the handicap ranks...it really is scary. I would love to make it one day out on tour....i'm a little behind as I have never played competitively before...but mabye one day.....have a long road ahead I guess and a lot of practice. thanks for the tips man...appreciate it! glad to see you have an itch again!!! I think robert deniro said it the best..."the saddest thing in life is wasted talent" ...get your ass out there with that +4 handicap!! Two highest paid athletes are golfers!!!!
"You will get there, but it is up to you and you alone. It is what you are willing to do, and how you are willing to get there. You must be relentless, you must be tireless, you must pursue at all costs, so that you are ready, when the time is right." -Dad
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 10:10 AM   #33
golfinz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
gotcha. yea i know how competitive it gets as you move lower and lower in the handicap ranks...it really is scary. I would love to make it one day out on tour....i'm a little behind as I have never played competitively before...but mabye one day.....have a long road ahead I guess and a lot of practice. thanks for the tips man...appreciate it! glad to see you have an itch again!!! I think robert deniro said it the best..."the saddest thing in life is wasted talent" ...get your ass out there with that +4 handicap!! Two highest paid athletes are golfers!!!!
Ya Ill get back out there....but this time as an amateur. I dont want the struggling pro life. All my golfing friends that are in college/outta college are +1-+4s, and a lot of them are trying to play golf (my sisters fiance is), and just breaking even during a week is not for me, having a guaranteed. salary is. Its a lot harder than one realizes because there are SO many golfers out there that want to make it.

I want to make it to the US Open by winning a usga championship one day
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 10:36 AM   #34
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep

Quote:
Ya Ill get back out there....but this time as an amateur. I dont want the struggling pro life. All my golfing friends that are in college/outta college are +1-+4s, and a lot of them are trying to play golf (my sisters fiance is), and just breaking even during a week is not for me, having a guaranteed. salary is. Its a lot harder than one realizes because there are SO many golfers out there that want to make it.

I want to make it to the US Open by winning a usga championship one day
+1

a lot of new player you see out there on tour are typically on the bottom of the list. I would guess its because of the pressure and since your playing with some of the best players, shit that would get to my head as well lol
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 12:32 PM   #35
design_mania
Registered
Rep
Drives: e93

yea i try to play golf at least once a week.
i wish i'm a low-handicapper like some of you.
i recently picked up a set of miura, hopefully they'll help me get there soon

my old ride was MB SLK and i used to think the trunk space was too small.
i had to take out my driver out of the bag and try to fit it in the trunk diagonally. LOL
i picked up my new e93 less than 2 weeks ago and it was stupid of me not to add the winter package.
i can hardly fit 1 golf bag in my trunk even with my top up.
I'm paying for it every time i go play golf. damn it.

Last edited by design_mania; 06-30-2009 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 04:16 PM   #36
Zephyr15
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by design_mania View Post
my old ride was MB SLK and i used to think the trunk space was too small. i had to take out my driver out of the bag and try to fit it in the trunk diagonally. LOL
I have to do the same thing with my e90.
      06-30-2009, 04:53 PM   #37
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr15 View Post
I have to do the same thing with my e90.
really? i can fit my bag in my E90 but i kinda have to put on a angle and take out my driver/3wood
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 05:35 AM   #38
Zephyr15
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
really? i can fit my bag in my E90 but i kinda have to put on a angle and take out my driver/3wood
I wasn't all that clear. My bag fits in the rearmost section of the trunk without too much trouble. The driver has to be put in on an angle and is a tight squeeze.

Hitting the range now before work. 9 holes tomorrow morning and then 18 Friday morning.
      07-01-2009, 09:35 AM   #39
golfinz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I wasn't all that clear. My bag fits in the rearmost section of the trunk without too much trouble. The driver has to be put in on an angle and is a tight squeeze.

Hitting the range now before work. 9 holes tomorrow morning and then 18 Friday morning.
Jealous I might go hit some balls today...
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 12:00 PM   #40
Zephyr15
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Jealous I might go hit some balls today...
I need all the practice I can get. I've just started playing this season (3 lessons so far) and try to get to the range as much as possible to work on my swing - which is no small task.

It can be very frustrating, but I'm addicted and in it for the long haul.
      07-01-2009, 01:24 PM   #41
b335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335i, 2012 f10 535i

Golfed for several years when I was younger, I have just recently picked it back up! It's a fun game, I'm playing out at desert springs Mariott this weekend, has anyone played there?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 01:48 PM   #42
MJC///M3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b335i View Post
Golfed for several years when I was younger, I have just recently picked it back up! It's a fun game, I'm playing out at desert springs Mariott this weekend, has anyone played there?
if thats the Marriot in Palm Springs....(I mean the general area...i know theres a bunch of names: la quinta, palm desert, etc) you will have a lot of fun....its gorgeous...

need an extra???

hahah
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 03:48 PM   #43
b335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335i, 2012 f10 535i

Quote:
if thats the Marriot in Palm Springs....(I mean the general area...i know theres a bunch of names: la quinta, palm desert, etc) you will have a lot of fun....its gorgeous...

need an extra???

hahah

Haha..yeah thats it! @ the JW Marriot in Palm Springs. It's going to be quite hot out there this weekend.

Seems like quite the flight for a round of golf!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 10:32 PM   #44
golfinz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I need all the practice I can get. I've just started playing this season (3 lessons so far) and try to get to the range as much as possible to work on my swing - which is no small task.

It can be very frustrating, but I'm addicted and in it for the long haul.
Good for you man! Golf is an amazing game! If anyone visits texas, pm me so we could go out to play!
Appreciate 0