BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition mcgregor vs mayweather: Punch Out

08-29-2017, 10:51 AM   #67
atam1980
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedyrom View Post
Unless you have something against Mayweather in particular, we have already seen the battle.

The octagon has allowed for boxers to enter since its inception. It has allowed us to determine which is the best martial arts when there are next to no rules.
Brazilian Jujitsu is king. End of story.

There is no “what ifs”.

I just hope for boxing’s sake, this is the end of the debate
I think it's obvious Floyd wouldn't last a round in an mma cage. I think what guys like Cody No Love and Conor have shown is that you can win in the cage with excellent boxing and decent takedown defense. But you're right, pure BJJ beats pure boxing in a combat with no rules pretty much every time. And this is coming from a boxer.

Floyd coming forward and pressuring Conor wasn't purely because he wanted to make the fight entertaining. It was actually the smartest strategy for him.

There's a vital element of boxing that MMA fighters lack completely, which is ward/gatti-type phone booth fighting. MMA fighters have zero experience with it because any time they're that close, they'll grapple and take it to the ground. Instead of moving forward INTO Floyd and smothering his punches, he kept backing up to maintain distance. Nothing saps your energy more than backpedaling for 12 rounds and throwing futile punches into your opponent's high guard.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 10:59 AM   #68
atam1980
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Boxing is not a real fight . Too much rules are involved .

This is a thread . And without discussions there are no threads .
Agreed, and I think that's the mistake non-boxing fans had in their heads when they thought Conor could put a beating on Floyd. Floyd has evolved boxing into something that used to be a sport of who could inflict more damage into a sport of points. It's not difficult to not get KO'd if that's your first priority. People get KO'd because they make mistakes or get caught throwing a careless punch or lazy jab.

Hats off to Conor, though. At distance, he was keeping up with the best in the game. The guy is physically gifted.
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2017, 05:57 PM   #69
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
Yes most if not all pure boxers w/o all range defense would be easily done in the cage
considering Conor was out of his element and against one of the best pound for pounds .. he did quite well
and the TKO was a sham though I guess having a boxer truely KO an MMA wouldnt have been good so its a saving grace

BOTTOM LINE: who would you rather have as a bodyguard.. CM or FM?
OBVIOUSLY CONOR
Floyds afterparty ! => http://www.clint.be/entertainment/fl...geld-strooien/

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 06:19 PM   #70
///mawana
Lieutenant
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by atam1980 View Post
Agreed, and I think that's the mistake non-boxing fans had in their heads when they thought Conor could put a beating on Floyd. Floyd has evolved boxing into something that used to be a sport of who could inflict more damage into a sport of points. It's not difficult to not get KO'd if that's your first priority. People get KO'd because they make mistakes or get caught throwing a careless punch or lazy jab.

Hats off to Conor, though. At distance, he was keeping up with the best in the game. The guy is physically gifted.
That's not what I saw, clearly Mayweather was toying with Conor. He had no idea how much punching power MMA fighters posess. He had to figure him out and once he realized Conor's punches were lame (to a boxer obviously) he couldn't stop coming at him even when Conor was still throwing some. To me the fight was over in the 4th round. That it lasted that long is down to Mayweather's style who also happens to be 40! Good business by Conor but that's all!
      08-29-2017, 06:42 PM   #71
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///mawana View Post
That's not what I saw, clearly Mayweather was toying with Conor. He had no idea how much punching power MMA fighters posess. He had to figure him out and once he realized Conor's punches were lame (to a boxer obviously) he couldn't stop coming at him even when Conor was still throwing some. To me the fight was over in the 4th round. That it lasted that long is down to Mayweather's style who also happens to be 40! Good business by Conor but that's all!
I'm not agreed .
Floyd first tired Conor from round 1 to 6 . Before Floyd was not able to hit Conor like he would like to hit him .
For Conor there was only one way to win the fight , and that was by KO . But through the experienced defense from Floyd this was impossible !
So after round 6 , Conor was not stable anymore because he was dead tired . Conor never fought longer than 6 rounds in MMA and that was the trick for Floyd .
This above became very clear in round 10 when Conors battery was completely empty . This was the right moment for Floyd to show his dosed force ...
The end was clear ...
Respect for both fighters , but I would love to see Floyd in the cage with Conor

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2017, 12:45 AM   #72
atam1980
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///mawana View Post
Floyd was toying with Conor from the fourth on, yes. But in the first two rounds, as I said, at distance, Conor landed some solid counters and jabs. I had him winning the first two rounds. Granted, it was probably Floyd's intention to get Conor to blow his load in the first few rounds, he was still able to defend against a lot of Floyd's straight rights to the head and body.

He didn't figure out the MMA's fighter's punching power was lame, what he did was wait until Conor gassed before he started comfortably walking him down. By the time Floyd switched from head movement to high guard, Conor was already throwing the patty-cake shoulder punches.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 01:49 PM   #73
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by atam1980 View Post
Floyd was toying with Conor from the fourth on, yes. But in the first two rounds, as I said, at distance, Conor landed some solid counters and jabs. I had him winning the first two rounds. Granted, it was probably Floyd's intention to get Conor to blow his load in the first few rounds, he was still able to defend against a lot of Floyd's straight rights to the head and body.

He didn't figure out the MMA's fighter's punching power was lame, what he did was wait until Conor gassed before he started comfortably walking him down. By the time Floyd switched from head movement to high guard, Conor was already throwing the patty-cake shoulder punches.
This is what I saw as well
There IS KO power in MacGregor's left but its not there the full fight
the strategist that is Mayweather played the safe game
stayed away from the KO gave him different looks early
then became more aggressive in later rounds once Macgregor's Ko power was waning
this was a simpler gameplan for Mayweather unlike his others against the likes of Dela Hoya & Paciao
this shouldnt have been a TKO imo and couldve gone the scorecard
this means Macgregor did quite well considering if even mentioned in the same paragraph as a Paciao and Delahoya
The Irishman should be proud
..and of course the rematch will be even more lucrative

I expected the Irishman to maybe just maybe put him in a submission hold in the last round knowing he was down in the cards and get a disqualification
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 02:36 AM   #74
EdM5
Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50 & E70 X5 Xdrive35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
He's improving but is he a match for a professional boxer? Not a chance. He's sloppy as Hell. He's relying on his power and his chin. Hoping he can score a KO punch while eating a million shots. He's going to gas out throwing those big punches. We saw that the first time he fought Diaz.

He's a talented guy, no debate about that, but he's completely out of his element and totally outmatched here. Believe me, I'd LOVE to see him level Mayweather. One big clean shot. Lights out on that dude. Yes please. Unfortunately I think the chance is slim.

My prediction: Floyd dances around Conor, taking no damage, and peppering Conor with little butterfly taps. Racks up the points while Conor gasses himself out looking for the big shot. it either goes the distance with Floyd winning on points, or, Conor gets so tired in the late rounds that he essentially becomes a punching bag. Hands down, eating shots, until a TKO is called.

Sharp prediction!

Btw, I am into may thai / kickboxing myself. Once in a while I train at the gym with the boxing dudes - totally different routine. Boxing is a lot harder than it may look. And like him or not, Mayweather is a brilliant boxer.
      09-01-2017, 04:24 PM   #75
OSee
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
I'm not agreed .
Floyd first tired Conor from round 1 to 6 . Before Floyd was not able to hit Conor like he would like to hit him .
For Conor there was only one way to win the fight , and that was by KO . But through the experienced defense from Floyd this was impossible !
So after round 6 , Conor was not stable anymore because he was dead tired . Conor never fought longer than 6 rounds in MMA and that was the trick for Floyd .
This above became very clear in round 10 when Conors battery was completely empty . This was the right moment for Floyd to show his dosed force ...
The end was clear ...
Respect for both fighters , but I would love to see Floyd in the cage with Conor
Floyd consistently lets the other fighter win the first 3 rounds. He threw a total of like 15 punches? This is not because he couldn't figure Conor out. That is just Floyd.

You're giving Conor way too much credit. A paper bag could go 6 rounds with Floyd Mayweather. It's just the way he fights. He let's you tire yourself out and then he goes to work and out points you for 7-8 rounds.
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2017, 04:27 PM   #76
OSee
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
this shouldnt have been a TKO imo and couldve gone the scorecard
this means Macgregor did quite well considering if even mentioned in the same paragraph as a Paciao and Delahoya
The Irishman should be proud

Conor didn't throw a punch for 45 seconds. The only thing holding him up was the ropes. Of course it should have been a TKO.

Floyd played with Conor the entire fight. Conor won 2 rounds max.

Proud of what? Like I said above a paper bag could make it 6 rounds with Floyd. It's just the way he fights. One of the greatest ever.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 06:03 PM   #77
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCfromOC View Post
Floyd consistently lets the other fighter win the first 3 rounds. He threw a total of like 15 punches? This is not because he couldn't figure Conor out. That is just Floyd.

You're giving Conor way too much credit. A paper bag could go 6 rounds with Floyd Mayweather. It's just the way he fights. He let's you tire yourself out and then he goes to work and out points you for 7-8 rounds.
Think we were lucky to see a fighter like Conor with Floyd in the ring .
Imagine 2 fighters in Floyd's style ..We should see a box fight without punches ,actually really boring and without spectacle

Personal I think Conor did a great job on Floyd's battleground , because Conor is no boxer .
Too much regulations are involved in clean boxing for Conor.
In a real fight in the MMA cage , Conor would kill Floyd in 2-3 rounds .
In short ...Conor is no boxer , Conor is a killer !

Appreciate 0