BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion BMW's Twin Turbo V8...

08-05-2007, 11:11 AM   #23
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
I'd like to see if/when this is an option on the M3, especially as Audi and Mercedes up the ante with performance.
      08-05-2007, 09:28 PM   #24
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
Did quick search didn't see anything, but if I missed this before and it's old news I'm sorry.

So I'm browsing my new Automobile magazine and they are showing renderings of the new BMW 6 series, as well as the "updates" for the 2008 model.
Appears, to no big surprise our 335i engine is going to become the base engine in the 6 series as well.

But what caught my eye was an optional twin turbocharged V8 making 400 hp that will slot between our 300 hp TT I6 and the 500 V10.

Yes, I know the current NA V8 makes 360+ hp so "how could a twin turbocharged V8 only make 40 more hp"?

I'll guess two things:
1. It's a smaller V8 (probably 4.2-4.4 liters) instead of 4.8
2. Like our TT I6 , it's probably underrated by 20-25 hp and tq.

But I gotta tell you, a TT V8 would be absolutely SWEET.
It would be a PROcede away from the horsepower of the V10, and probably have more torque stock already.
Hope someone would start developing a LSD for this car the day it comes out, it would need one for sure!
Your probably right. Even I heard that BMW are gonna give 'the turbo treatment' to everything. And I think the turbo's are there for the monstorous torque, not for the horsepower. For example the 335 engines horsepower is low(claimed by BMW), but look at the torque level....its insane! Thats why the 335i is so fast even though it matches IS350's hp.

If this v8 tt engine comes, I am sure M5 or m6 engine will be updated to the predicted 5.5 v10 producing 550hp(toque unknown...above 400). There are two reasons behind it. One, the horsepowerwar is going on. Second, if the TT v8 comes out, it can be too close to m5 or m6 performance number

Twin turbo engines rule !
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 07:15 PM   #25
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

I just wanted to resurrect this thread of mine, because I'm now reading that there are more whispers of the twin turbo V8 from BMW.
Apparently it will also be in the new 2009 BMW X6 SUV coming in late 2008.

These reports do in fact state it will be the 4.8 liter V8, not a smaller V8 like I had thought.
And rumor is now it's rated at 410 hp.

Again, I will BET that if in fact it is rated at 410 hp is is underrated by at least 15 hp.
The current 4.8 liter V8 is rated at 360 hp, but for twin turbocharged duty the compression ratio would surely need to be dropped which would drop the NA version to around 340-350 without the turbos.
But add a measly 6-7 psi of boost to each turbo and I'd have to think it would add more than 50-60 hp to the car.

But again, either way, how sweet would that engine be in a 5 series.
Rated at 410 hp and probably equal or more likely slightly more torque (but probably really pushing 425+ hp and 450+ lbs-ft of torque out would just be great.
Call it the 555i (nicknamed the Tri-5i)
With a PROcede you'd be well past V-10 M5 power. D@mn!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 08:28 PM   #26
sajakh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
I don't think they'll put a V12 in the next M5
The current V10 is an itty-bitty V10 at only 5.0 liters.
MANY, MANY V8's are larger than that. If anything they'll just bump up the displacement to say 5.2-5.4 liters and push out 550 hp.

But what BMW really needs to do with the M division is concentrate on weight loss.

With the TT engines going into non-M cars and the tunability of them to easily match the M-cars power outputs, what BMW can do is drop the weight of the M cars.

That means aluminum chassis. Sure it's expensive, but it's something that non-M cars can't "upgrade" to in the aftermarket.
Can you imagine dropping 200-250+ pounds off the M5 or upcoming M3.

With model specific parts like (upgraded brakes, suspension, wheels, tires, seats, interior pieces, body panels, etc and with the high revving naturally aspirated motors that rev like race cars and sound killer, there is still lots of exclusivity to the M cars.
Next step IMHO, super strong aluminum chassis that drop the weight of the M cars by 200-250+ pounds.
Isn't the e60 series an aluminum chassis making it so close in weight to the e90/e92? If that's the case, why don't they do that for the e92 M3 and M6, which I don't believe is aluminum.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 08:48 PM   #27
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Posted this in another topic already...but here we go anyways:

"Oooh...take a look at this quote from Gerhard Richter (BMW M VP):

What about turbocharging?

"Maybe in the future. In 2011, the F1 racing regulations could change to introduce turbocharging. If we were able to bring our character together with a turbo engine, then why not? Formula 1 is very important for us; BMW M's heritage is in motorsport. Changes in the F1 regulations might be good for us. If the change fits with the M character, it could be a solution. The most important thing for the customer is to have this special character."

Hmm...looks like the M division isn't completely ruling out FI."
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 08:50 PM   #28
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
Posted this in another topic already...but here we go anyways:

"Oooh...take a look at this quote from Gerhard Richter (BMW M VP):

What about turbocharging?

"Maybe in the future. In 2011, the F1 racing regulations could change to introduce turbocharging. If we were able to bring our character together with a turbo engine, then why not? Formula 1 is very important for us; BMW M's heritage is in motorsport. Changes in the F1 regulations might be good for us. If the change fits with the M character, it could be a solution. The most important thing for the customer is to have this special character."

Hmm...looks like the M division isn't completely ruling out FI."
The only certainty in life is change. I am a bit surprised at this but I really shouldnt be.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0