BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Photography/Videography Drone suggestions

03-28-2018, 08:16 AM   #23
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

what video editing program is everyone using? The DJI go app I realized only outputs 720p.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 05:02 PM   #24
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dliner View Post
what video editing program is my old everyone using? The DJI go app I realized only outputs 720p.

I just used my old GoPro software that came with my old GoPro camera....

Definitely looking into getting something better though.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 09:42 AM   #25
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by qspring View Post
Basaed on my experience with mine, Mavic Pro fly time is about 15-22 mins depending on how you're flying it, wind conditions, etc. Has some great technology packed into something that can fold into your pocket.
Don't know about folding into your pocket - but the pro does collapse into a small pouch. Love mine...easy to take to my job sites, easy to fly, great video, and easily connects to your phone for use while flying. I've flown it about 2 to 3 miles away with no issues.

I'd recommend the Mavic to anyone. Friend just got that tiny Mavic that would fit in your pocket...I'll know more about that one in a month. To me, it seems a little too small and probably would be taken in a good wind.
      03-30-2018, 10:21 AM   #26
askjeeves
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3/spece30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopVac View Post
Don't know about folding into your pocket - but the pro does collapse into a small pouch. Love mine...easy to take to my job sites, easy to fly, great video, and easily connects to your phone for use while flying. I've flown it about 2 to 3 miles away with no issues.

I'd recommend the Mavic to anyone. Friend just got that tiny Mavic that would fit in your pocket...I'll know more about that one in a month. To me, it seems a little too small and probably would be taken in a good wind.
I thought the Mavic Air would get rocked by wind too. But first time I flew it was in 30+mph gusting wind conditions on the beach and it was surprisingly stable still. The Air is a lot of drone for the size and price.
      03-30-2018, 10:36 AM   #27
Rob340i
Sergeant First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i M Sport

I have parrot beebop 2 with FPV for cockpit view. The drone is awesome and a good price half the price of dji phantom and similar specs nice remote fpv and extra batterys with drone and case for me was $500 I think the quality is worth way more than that. I highly recommend.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 10:44 AM   #28
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Mavic Air is a solid choice. It really just comes down to what are your needs. If it's more for fun and travel it might be best (that or the Spark). If you want a step up (albeit a small one but perhaps in ways you want), original Mavic is a better choice. If you're serious then you need to look into the Inspire line.

I keep forgetting to see what software I use, I can't remember the name. I don't use it often so it escapes me. It's not awesome but it works for slicing and dicing and making minor corrections to brightness & contrast, etc. And it was free, which was nice for something not used often. And that mini review is useless without the name, hope I can remember tonight.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 10:50 AM   #29
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by askjeeves View Post
I thought the Mavic Air would get rocked by wind too. But first time I flew it was in 30+mph gusting wind conditions on the beach and it was surprisingly stable still. The Air is a lot of drone for the size and price.
Good to know...I'll let my friend know, as he was concerned too.

Just want to put a quick disclaimer for those looking to get the Air...many of these do not come with the controller. If you're thinking you are getting a really good deal on one of these...make sure it has one if you need one.
      03-30-2018, 06:27 PM   #30
askjeeves
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3/spece30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopVac View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by askjeeves View Post
Good to know...I'll let my friend know, as he was concerned too.

Just want to put a quick disclaimer for those looking to get the Air...many of these do not come with the controller. If you're thinking you are getting a really good deal on one of these...make sure it has one if you need one.
The air should always include a remote controller. The spark used to come without a remote controller if not purchasing the combo. But now it's included without the combo also. One of the best changes to the Air imo is the controller joysticks can be unscrewed. Great when transporting.
      03-30-2018, 07:15 PM   #31
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
I keep forgetting to see what software I use
Avidemux: http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/

There are some tutorials on Youtube.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 12:56 PM   #32
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Avidemux: http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/

There are some tutorials on Youtube.

Awesome thanks! Maybe I'll finally get around to editing some of the amazing videos I shot in Maui
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 01:18 PM   #33
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

No problem. I'm certainly no expert, just sharing what has worked. My workflow is roughly:

* Get things off the drone, and make copies into a folder I will work on
* Run any easy edits like color balance, brightness, contrast, etc. on each video
* Slice and dice the videos
* Add them back together into a single new one

Far from pro work but it's enough to share things and not be too embarrassed. And TBH it's about all I have time for!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 07:29 AM   #34
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i MSport

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
I recently purchased the Karma drone. If you’re not trying to do commercial drone work it’s an excellent choice. It doesn’t have the fancy avoidance features of the DJI drones, but then again it’s much cheaper. Considering the hero 6 Black is $400 and the karma grip is $300, you’re really buying a $300 drone. Not including the back back that it comes with that is quite nice. The set up is easy and it flies great even in 35moh winds. The video in 4K is incredible, and when you’re not using the drone you still have a usable new GoPro hero 6 and the karma grip makes a world of a difference in the stability and clarity of the video shot by hand.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 08:54 AM   #35
shashankj88
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3

Go catless and get a Megan if you want some good drone
Appreciate 0