05-04-2018, 08:31 AM   #1
Ristau
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 540i XDrive

Supra Powertrain Mystery

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I'm sure we have all seen the leaked documents (as well as just general speculation) about how the new Z4 will be offered with the standard B48/B58 with potential for manual and automatic, while it's Supra twin will only be offered with an auto and potentially only B58.

Now, what really sparked my curiosity was a few weeks back when the lead Supra designer claimed that the car would be DCT only, which makes little sense in this situation. Why develop a joint platform, where one car uses a 6MT/8AT ZF, while the other uses a (presumably) 7DCT? There's also the fact that (to my knowledge) a B58 has not yet been fitted with a DCT. Again, confusing.

This makes me wonder if the Z4 will actually be offered with a DCT (like how the previous generation was) instead of the ZF unit (unlikely), OR if the Supra is getting a different engine altogether. The supra has been basically confirmed to be getting a BMW sourced turbo inline 6 (I've read a lot of articles that say "Twin Turbo" but I think there are still a lot of people who are either used to saying TT with a 6 cylinder/people confused by the whole "Twin-power turbo" thing).

If they were to use an engine that was already fitted to a DCT, that would essentially leave us with the N54, which I highly HIGHLY doubt (and I believe production ended in '16 with the previous Z4 anyway), N55 from the M2 (which I think is possible, yet still unlikely considering the M2 competition was just announced, leaving this lower performing engine for other potential units), the S55 from either the M3/4 or M2 Competition (most likely in my opinion IF this is a DCT only, twin turbo i6), or finally a S58 that will most likely be found under the new M3/4 (I personally think there is 0% chance this will happen since I believe the Supra will be announced and released well before the next M3/4).

Anyway, I think this is interesting to think about, because since the supra is DCT only, that makes way for a potential future Z4M (In my opinion), and since the Supra is being developed to target Porsche (assuming the Cayman), we can assume that this Z4 might actually be competition for the Boxster instead of cars like the mercedes SLK.

OR maybe I'm just a dumbass hahaha. Just felt like sharing my "conundrum," and this seemed a decent place to do so. Sorry not sorry
Appreciate 0