BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Which windshield cleaner?

02-07-2019, 06:25 AM   #1
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Question Which windshield cleaner?

What do you guys use to clean your windshield? I have my car about 4 months and I can't get my windshield clean. I have these drip like marks that are making me crazy. I can't get rid of them. And when I use the washers or wipers I get these bad streaks. Not sure if there is some residue somewhere that is dripping. No matter how much I clean the windshield, it doesn't go away. I've used windex and some non streak glass cleaner I use in the house with microfibre cloths but it just doesn't make the glass clear.

Thanks
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2019, 07:27 AM   #2
Winn.Nguyen
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Clay bar the windshield and then add on a sealant.
Appreciate 3
King Rudi13152.00
cmyx6go15581.00
BM235iW97.00
      02-07-2019, 07:32 AM   #3
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

^ That should do it.
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go15581.00
      02-07-2019, 07:35 AM   #4
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winn.Nguyen View Post
Clay bar the windshield and then add on a sealant.
^ This. Works amazingly well. In addition, Stoners Invisible Glass cleaner is available nearly everywhere and I have yet find a better product for normal cleanings.

Here are some links to my favorite products...

Best clay - use a clay mitt instead of actual clay, much better:

https://www.autogeek.net/cobra-clay-mitt.html

Here is the best sealant by far. The ease of use is nothing short of staggering. Will last about 3-4mos on paint, a few weeks on glass if you use your wipers. Amazing product and a bottle will last a year or more.

https://www.detailedimage.com/Optimu...-P279/8-oz-S1/

Finally - here is a link to Invisible Glass, although any retail store also has it:

https://www.invisibleglass.com/produ...cts/automotive
King Rudi13152.00
      02-07-2019, 07:48 AM   #5
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Clay bar and polish it, either using a machine or by hand. But I don’t seal my front windshield. I’ve experienced clatter before.
Appreciate 3
cmyx6go15581.00
King Rudi13152.00
GERMAN M34176.50
      02-07-2019, 07:53 AM   #6
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 08:00 AM   #7
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Clay bar and polish it, either using a machine or by hand. But I don’t seal my front windshield. I’ve experienced clatter before.
I've clayed and polished mine before and even used serium oxide on it last year to remove some scratches and pits but I have never thought to use a DA and polish on my windshield. What polish did you use? 3 or 4 stage?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 08:22 AM   #8
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
I've clayed and polished mine before and even used serium oxide on it last year to remove some scratches and pits but I have never thought to use a DA and polish on my windshield. What polish did you use? 3 or 4 stage?
Anyone who says use a DA to polish a windshield is leading you astray. First, you really need to use a rotary to get any noticeable difference when it comes to scratch removal or removing pitting. Second, it's a messy messy messy messy messy messy job that takes for-freaking-ever. The amount of mess and time it takes to do it right is no where near offsetting the cost to pay my $250 deductible and just have the windshield replaced with a brand new one. Bonus points, comprehensive covers this - not collision, so no increase in premiums no matter how much you do it.

If you want to read up on how to polish your windshield - check out this link by one of the best in the business.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...hes-glass.html

Here is another good thread discussing some of the things to watch out for when performing the process. Basically, you have to get the glass very hot when removing the defects, but it's easy to get it so hot that you end up warping it and causing more problems:

https://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sh...ct-Correction&
      02-07-2019, 08:41 AM   #9
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
Anyone who says use a DA to polish a windshield is leading you astray. First, you really need to use a rotary to get any noticeable difference when it comes to scratch removal or removing pitting. Second, it's a messy messy messy messy messy messy job that takes for-freaking-ever. The amount of mess and time it takes to do it right is no where near offsetting the cost to pay my $250 deductible and just have the windshield replaced with a brand new one. Bonus points, comprehensive covers this - not collision, so no increase in premiums no matter how much you do it.

If you want to read up on how to polish your windshield - check out this link by one of the best in the business.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...hes-glass.html

Here is another good thread discussing some of the things to watch out for when performing the process. Basically, you have to get the glass very hot when removing the defects, but it's easy to get it so hot that you end up warping it and causing more problems:

https://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sh...ct-Correction&
Agree on this completely. I bought some serium and a rotary pad for my drill last year and went to work on the windshield one Saturday morning. Six hours later along with orange powdery dust/slury all over everything; I saw mediocre results. That shit will seriously dry out everything it touches. I'm a DIY guy all day long, but I will NEVER do this again. Good to know on the insurance windshield replacement!
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      02-07-2019, 08:45 AM   #10
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340ix 6MT

I did both of these a while ago and need to do it again. It was real nice for a while. The wax on the outside is fire.

outside:

inside:
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go15581.00
      02-07-2019, 01:30 PM   #11
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Not sure if mentioned above

But I like any good dedicated windshield cleaner spray or foam and use newspaper to apply.

I find it curious they dislike newspaper. You cruise down the highway at 75 mph getting peppered by dust...
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go15581.00
      02-07-2019, 01:46 PM   #12
Dogeeseegod
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Blue Water 128i-6

I had a bad streaking problem on my 1992 325is after the combination of these 3 things:
silicone blades
silicone windshield treatment
1 dusty road that just stuck to everything until I finally cleaned the windshield with denatured alcohol and changed the blades back to factory.
If it ain't broke...
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go15581.00
      02-07-2019, 01:52 PM   #13
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogeeseegod View Post
I had a bad streaking problem on my 1992 325is after the combination of these 3 things:
silicone blades
silicone windshield treatment
1 dusty road that just stuck to everything until I finally cleaned the windshield with denatured alcohol and changed the blades back to factory.
If it ain't broke...
I took delivery Oct 5th. Wipers are OEM, no windshield treatment. The glass just sucked from day one.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 01:55 PM   #14
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I just use RainX from time to time.
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go15581.00
      02-07-2019, 01:58 PM   #15
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
I just use RainX from time to time.
I used to swear by that stuff but then I read on one of the forums that it wasn't good for the glass. After time it would cause a residue or something to build on the glass.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      02-07-2019, 02:09 PM   #16
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
I used to swear by that stuff but then I read on one of the forums that it wasn't good for the glass. After time it would cause a residue or something to build on the glass.
Yeah - I feel it has mixed results. Sometimes it works for folks and other times it doesn't.

I am absolutely ridiculous when it comes to my front windscreen. Drives my wife nuts because I will pull over to clean a smudge. I typically shoot some glass cleaner (the invisible glass I mentioned) over the window and do a wipe down nearly every morning before work if it isn't raining.

That being said - let me know if you have further questions - I've tried literally everything and nothing seems to beat regular quick wipe downs and periodic sealing or clay.

Also - when cleaning, always use a dedicated rag just for windows. Had a hard time figuring out why my window would always streak until one day I realized I was using a rag that I had used to remove wax once before.

I have also found that the microfiber waffle weave cloths work much better than the normal microfiber towels. The regular ones will sometimes leave little particles behind due to the static they create. Not so with the waffle weave ones.

This is the one I use:

https://www.chemicalguys.com/Waffle_...BoCRwoQAvD_BwE
P111541.50
      02-07-2019, 02:20 PM   #17
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
I'm a nut when it comes to clean windshields, inside and out. I always carry windex and microfibre rags. My drivers Ed teacher Mr. Briganza told us the most important thing is to have a clean windshield. Can you imagine? I remember my drivers ed teacher's name from 40 years ago but I can't remember what I left my office to get...

It's frustrating. A new car usually has that nice fresh windshield and it makes me happy when I use the wipers and the windshield is crystal clear and streak free. It's one of the things I look forward to when changing vehicles. Not sure why this one has all these strange drip marks and streaks. I wish the camera would pick up what I'm talking about.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 02:28 PM   #18
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
I'm a nut when it comes to clean windshields, inside and out. I always carry windex and microfibre rags. My drivers Ed teacher Mr. Briganza told us the most important thing is to have a clean windshield. Can you imagine? I remember my drivers ed teacher's name from 40 years ago but I can't remember what I left my office to get...

It's frustrating. A new car usually has that nice fresh windshield and it makes me happy when I use the wipers and the windshield is crystal clear and streak free. It's one of the things I look forward to when changing vehicles. Not sure why this one has all these strange drip marks and streaks. I wish the camera would pick up what I'm talking about.

1) Don't use Windex. It's a terrible product. Not only does it leave horrible streaks and stains on your window, if you use it on tint - it will melt it.

2) Don't use normal microfiber cloths - especially on the inside. Use a waffle weave or at least a normal cotton washcloth. In a pinch, a used tshirt is also a good option.

Seriously give the clay bar or clay mitt a try - I think you will be amazed at the difference.
      02-07-2019, 02:46 PM   #19
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
1) Don't use Windex. It's a terrible product. Not only does it leave horrible streaks and stains on your window, if you use it on tint - it will melt it.

2) Don't use normal microfiber cloths - especially on the inside. Use a waffle weave or at least a normal cotton washcloth. In a pinch, a used tshirt is also a good option.

Seriously give the clay bar or clay mitt a try - I think you will be amazed at the difference.
I'm going to order the clay mitt, waffle weave cloths and pick up some invisible glass. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 02:50 PM   #20
bobdavisnpf
Hapless Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E88 135i, '89 E30 vert

I've been using RainX and tired of the clatter; I just can't seem to buff it enough to get it to stop. I'm ready to try the clay mitt and invisible glass... any suggestions how to safely strip the RainX off the windshield?
      02-07-2019, 03:01 PM   #21
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdavisnpf View Post
I've been using RainX and tired of the clatter; I just can't seem to buff it enough to get it to stop. I'm ready to try the clay mitt and invisible glass... any suggestions how to safely strip the RainX off the windshield?
Ugh. Rain X - evil stuff.

The most sure fire (no pun intended) way to completely remove RainX is to use naptha. Regular Zippo-type lighter fluid is naptha based. So is Coleman (or similar) camp fuel. You can also use VM&P naptha...found at most home improvement and paint supplies stores.

Naptha eliminates any RainX that has even found its way into auto glass' microscopic 'pores'.

Here is a link:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-St...VM46/100122813

It's somewhat nasty stuff. If you want to try a more soft method, then most APC's will work with some decent scrubbing.

Another alternative is McKee's 37 High Performance Glass Restorer on a White 5 1/2" flat foam pad with a Porter Cable 7424 dual action polisher on speed 4.

Link below:

https://www.autogeek.net/dp515.html
      02-07-2019, 03:15 PM   #22
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I've had good luck with Duragloss NuGlass:

Appreciate 2