BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Autonomous vehicle technology

12-10-2020, 09:26 PM   #177
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
https://flip.it/523qBD
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 08:13 AM   #178
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
Unless autonomous cars (or planes) start killing people left and right. Look at telsa sentiment right after the first famous death when the truck crossed the road in front, sentiment was way down. Look at boeing sentiment after the 747 max had issues (software but not self driving). The approval ratings of these fluctuate and are not always rosy. But that said people dont always find more regulation as the best way to solve it.
The Boeing 737 Max issue is overblown. And fixed. People are still flying.
We will fix it (mechanical design flaw) with training
[slips cheat codes to test takers]

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...-idUSKBN28S314
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 08:31 AM   #179
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:

"The committee concluded Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and Boeing officials 'had established a pre-determined outcome to reaffirm a long-held human factor assumption related to pilot reaction time ... It appears, in this instance, FAA and Boeing were attempting to cover up important information that may have contributed to the 737 MAX tragedies.'”

What the eff does that even mean? Be wary of partial quotations used in today's media. And maybe they should edit a bit more professionally?:

"Last month, the Senate committee unanimously a bill to reform how FAA certifies new airplanes and grant new protections for whistleblowers, among other reforms, while the U.S. House of Representatives unanimously passed a similar bill."

IIRC Steve Dickson said he wasn't going to sign off on the 737Max until he personally test flighted the plane. I believe he did test fly the plane, so are you saying the head of the FAA is in on the conspiracy?
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 12-19-2020 at 08:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 09:09 AM   #180
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

"The committee concluded Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and Boeing officials 'had established a pre-determined outcome to reaffirm a long-held human factor assumption related to pilot reaction time ... It appears, in this instance, FAA and Boeing were attempting to cover up important information that may have contributed to the 737 MAX tragedies.'"

What the eff does that even mean? Be wary of partial quotations used in today's media. And maybe they should edit a bit more professionally?:

"Last month, the Senate committee unanimously a bill to reform how FAA certifies new airplanes and grant new protections for whistleblowers, among other reforms, while the U.S. House of Representatives unanimously passed a similar bill."

IIRC Steve Dickson said he wasn't going to sign off on the 737Max until he personally test flighted the plane. I believe he did test fly the plane, so are you saying the head of the FAA is in on the conspiracy?
Interesting.

This is the most material info I found in the article:

{
The report citing a whistleblower who alleged Boeing officials encouraged test pilots to "remember, get right on that pickle switch" prior to the exercise that resulted in pilot reaction in approximately four seconds, while another pilot in a separate test reacted in approximately 16 seconds.

The account was corroborated during an FAA staff interview, the committee added
}

To me it implies that in the dangerous scenario, reacting in 4 seconds saves lives, reacting in 16 seconds is catastrophic. Do you want to fly in an airplane that is that specific? And to tie it back to autonomous cars, do you want a car that would be that specific?

The consumers and the regulars shall decide
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 09:23 AM   #181
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Interesting.

{
The report citing a whistleblower who alleged Boeing officials encouraged test pilots to "remember, get right on that pickle switch" prior to the exercise that resulted in pilot reaction in approximately four seconds, while another pilot in a separate test reacted in approximately 16 seconds.

}

To me it implies that in the dangerous scenario, reacting in 4 seconds saves lives, reacting in 16 seconds is catastrophic. Do you want to fly in an airplane that is that specific? And to tie it back to autonomous cars, do you want a car that would be that specific?

So if we are to believe the FAA is in cahoots with Boeing to place the flying public in a mechanically deficient aircraft, how will the DOT collude with GM et.al. when said private companies have invested tens-of-billions in driverless car service technologies?
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 10:36 AM   #182
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Interesting.

{

}

So if we are to believe the FAA is in cahoots with Boeing to place the flying public in a mechanically deficient aircraft, how will the DOT collude with GM et.al. when said private companies have invested tens-of-billions in driverless car service technologies?
To be determined.

Also, DOT doesnt need to be in cahoots with GM, tesla, etc. they just need to be behind the ball on deep machine leaning technology (which they are).

Also, we must be careful not to overweight the argument that because a certain car has less accidents than another it is overall safer and better for the public. This has been the Tesla argument for less regulation of autonomous tech since the beginning. There are other factors to consider.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16941.50
      12-19-2020, 10:40 AM   #183
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
To be determined.
They way the DOT ignores Tesla beta testing on real streets really amazes me.
Appreciate 2
jmack548.50
      12-19-2020, 10:51 AM   #184
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
To be determined.

Also, DOT doesnt need to be in cahoots with GM, tesla, etc. they just need to be behind the ball on deep machine leaning technology (which they are).

Also, we must be careful not to overweight the argument that because a certain car has less accidents than another it is overall safer and better for the public. This has been the Tesla argument for less regulation of autonomous tech since the beginning. There are other factors to consider.
That's why I don't worry about the 737max issue. Two flights out of millions of flights turned bad.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 11:32 AM   #185
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
To be determined.
They way the DOT ignores Tesla beta testing on real streets really amazes me.
Imagine if the medical device industry did that? Any surgeon can choose to use a device as long as they are chosen by the manufacturer and sign wavers that it is "beta".

Someday there will be a reckoning in the autonomous car software world. One way or another.
Appreciate 2
Efthreeoh16941.50
jmack548.50
      12-29-2020, 09:50 AM   #186
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
To be determined.

That's why I don't worry about the 737max issue. Two flights out of millions of flights turned bad.
737 returns to the sky
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/boeing-...senger-flight/
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16941.50