BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Crazy sales agreement my father had to sign for a New Panamera

02-28-2017, 08:56 AM   #1
wuufer001
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 M/T

Garage List
2006 325i  [9.34]
Crazy sales agreement my father had to sign for a New Panamera

My father is ordering the new Panamera and this agreement was requested to be signed by the sales exec.

I would understand if it was a limited production or special model, but he's only ordering the Panamera

Just found it very interesting
Attached Images

02-28-2017, 09:03 AM   #2
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 Carrera S, 2013 Panny GTS

That's crazy
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 09:08 AM   #3
jpdchicago
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL, X3MC

It is becoming more common on new, rare or high demand sports cars. Same happened with the M4 gts. Gts cost $300,000 in china and they could only get around 15 of them for over 1 billion people. "Only" costs $134,000 here and we got 400... What do you think is going to happen?
New Panamera is similar. High demand in China,emirates...etc.
Ferrari has done it for over 30 years.
Porsche should have been doing the same with some of its earlier models. 911 R: WTF!
Way too much speculation today!
I tend to agree. Let's get those cars to the drivers, not the speculators.

Last edited by jpdchicago; 02-28-2017 at 09:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 09:09 AM   #4
Gr-Racing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46, F30 335i, 1986 K75

8. give us your firstborn child
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 10:29 AM   #5
TomD335xicoupe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335XI me ,19 x3 M40 wife

I worked for Porsche for a few years back , when a car gets shipped overseas by a new buyer the dealership gets hit with a 10K fine and a reduction in their allocation, sales force commision gets riped back, so you can see why this is important. In one year 2011 my dealer in NJ had three cars shipped, huge problem for everybody involved, big profit for shipper.
And yes every vin shipped is tracked and reported.
      03-04-2017, 07:19 PM   #6
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
This isn't anything new.

Dealerships around Los Angeles are all making you sign this to make sure you don't resell the car overseas to China.

I had to sign this for the Macan S, as well as my M4. This isn't crazy. Why do you think China keeps ripping off of European cars? Range Rovers, Jag?

If your caught doing this, the person selling it overseas will be tagged and whenever you try to buy a car again, it would show you have sold new cars overseas before and the dealership can just tell you to go away. They won't sell anything to you.
      03-04-2017, 08:54 PM   #7
fbsm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 4wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomD335xicoupe View Post
I worked for Porsche for a few years back , when a car gets shipped overseas by a new buyer the dealership gets hit with a 10K fine and a reduction in their allocation, sales force commision gets riped back, so you can see why this is important. In one year 2011 my dealer in NJ had three cars shipped, huge problem for everybody involved, big profit for shipper.
10k fine by who?

Porsche?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 02:16 AM   #8
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbsm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomD335xicoupe View Post
10k fine by who?

Porsche?
Depending on how the transaction occurs, US Customs, USSS, and DoJ fine the registered Importer (PCNA in the US). That is then passed to the dealer per the franchise agreement and required due diligence to hold harmless against the RI for fraudulent new vehicle transactions performed with the intent to resell for export by anyone other than the ultimate purchaser.

In this case, ITAC Import/Export Rules apply (South Africa)
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 11:53 AM   #9
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Stupid and complete bullshit! You BUY the car or any other product, and decide to store it, wreck it, resell it, that is YOUR choice! This isn't some "proprietary tech or financial secrets going on here. It's a f****** car. And Porsche of ALL manufacturers should not be demanding or expecting this. They make the most profit of every car sold by any manufacturer per vehicle. Average = $20k/per.
Just greed plain and simple.
Appreciate 1
swanson733.00
      03-06-2017, 11:59 AM   #10
newuser310
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335

That is hilarious, perhaps they should produce the correct number of cars for each market so that isn't an issue. Gotta say, I think anybody agreeing to sign that is a fool. What if something happens and you want to sell the car? It's simply none of their business.

It's like if you sell a TV on Craigslist and want the buyer to sign an agreement that they won't resell it for more money. Just sell it for the right price or it's none of your concern. SMH at Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 12:17 PM   #11
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

More and more common these agreements.

While at Audi it became almost standard to have a non-export agreement due to the popularity of their models.

Let's just say it's all corporate mindset.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 01:07 PM   #12
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Porche sells the car in the U.S. but the car is worth far more in China? I can see it if it is all related to taxes or import fees but if just the general market, why don't they just sell the same car there for more profit?

Personally wouldn't get involved with buying a product from someone and them telling me I can't resell it for some amount of time.
      03-06-2017, 01:21 PM   #13
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Stupid and complete bullshit! You BUY the car or any other product, and decide to store it, wreck it, resell it, that is YOUR choice! This isn't some "proprietary tech or financial secrets going on here. It's a f****** car. And Porsche of ALL manufacturers should not be demanding or expecting this. They make the most profit of every car sold by any manufacturer per vehicle. Average = $20k/per.
Just greed plain and simple.
And a Chanel handbag is just a Chanel handbag? Not to the maker of it ...

This is par for the course in luxury branding. This has nothing to do with this being a car. This has everything to do with protecting the brand's global value and image through limiting the access to that brand in specific markets. It is this same issue that Porsche, Range Rover, Chanel, Louis Vuitton, Coach, Mont Blanc, Rolex, Mark Levinson, and many more deal with in specific ways.

This also has nothing to do exclusively with China. It is global. China is a prime offender, but the same issues exist acutely in markets such as Russia, Brazil, and several Middle Eastern countries.
Appreciate 1
Igor_M52143.00
      03-07-2017, 06:31 AM   #14
Blackraven
Captain
Rep
Drives: Toyota Corolla ALTIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuufer001 View Post
My father is ordering the new Panamera and this agreement was requested to be signed by the sales exec.

I would understand if it was a limited production or special model, but he's only ordering the Panamera

Just found it very interesting
My theory is that Porsche does not want to see your Panamera to leave Southern Africa (within x number of years).....probably because they don't want it to be sold in grey markets and parallel importation units overseas.

Porsche knows that if your car ever ends up in some South East Asian country or even in UK, Australia and New Zealand, this would impact their sales channels within those territories.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 06:43 AM   #15
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
probably because they don't want it to be sold in grey markets and parallel importation units overseas.

Porsche knows that if your car ever ends up in some South East Asian country or even in UK, Australia and New Zealand, this would impact their sales channels within those territories.
I think this is indeed the real reason.
Prices also vary in different countries (apart from the taxes) due to market competition. So they might sell US vehicles cheaper than for instance asian or european vehicles because the car has loads more price competition in the US (virtual example). If those vehicles should be shipped back to say europe or asia, that would destroy the native market over there resulting in less profit for the car maker overall. The price a vehicle has in a specific market is not so much a relation to what it costs to produce/ship but to what other similar/competing cars cost in that specific market.
I dont think it has anything to do with being afraid that the chinese will copy them
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 07:53 AM   #16
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Your father should make them sign a waiver that says the car will not drop 30% of its value within the first year
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0