BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Steering feel

02-12-2020, 08:38 PM   #1
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Steering feel

I currently own a 2018 Golf R and I think it feels like it's driving on rails because it doesn't wander or get blown all over the road by wind. It tracks straighter than any car I have ever owned and that's surprising since it's a small hatchback.

Last week I test drove an X3 M40i and I absolutely hated it. That 'on rails' feeling certainly wasn't there as this vehicle felt like it was constantly wandering because of the road. The steering has a dead spot in the middle where it's really loose and then it gets really tight after turning it more than a few degrees. It felt like I was fighting the steering as it kept wandering.

I looked at an M850i, but it's just too much money and the coupe has no sunroof.

My Golf R has no sunroof and I really miss having a more open air feeling when driving. I never considered a convertible, but then I began checking out the Z4 M40I. Why not go topless if I really want a touring 'fun' car I thought. I did briefly test drive a Z4 and it had some of the wandering feel of the X3, but not as bad. I don't remember if there was the same steering deadspot, but checking some reviews that still seems to exist on the car.

Skip to 4:35

What is up with this and why does BMW make the steering like this? Here I am waiting for a white Z4 M40i coming in from another dealer which I had planned on buying.. But that steering is giving me pause for concern.

What do you think of the steering on your z4?

Rob
Appreciate 1
oz555671.00
      02-14-2020, 10:13 PM   #2
Bigmouth Studio
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
I currently own a 2018 Golf R and I think it feels like it's driving on rails because it doesn't wander or get blown all over the road by wind. It tracks straighter than any car I have ever owned and that's surprising since it's a small hatchback.

Last week I test drove an X3 M40i and I absolutely hated it. That 'on rails' feeling certainly wasn't there as this vehicle felt like it was constantly wandering because of the road. The steering has a dead spot in the middle where it's really loose and then it gets really tight after turning it more than a few degrees. It felt like I was fighting the steering as it kept wandering.

I looked at an M850i, but it's just too much money and the coupe has no sunroof.

My Golf R has no sunroof and I really miss having a more open air feeling when driving. I never considered a convertible, but then I began checking out the Z4 M40I. Why not go topless if I really want a touring 'fun' car I thought. I did briefly test drive a Z4 and it had some of the wandering feel of the X3, but not as bad. I don't remember if there was the same steering deadspot, but checking some reviews that still seems to exist on the car.

What is up with this and why does BMW make the steering like this? Here I am waiting for a white Z4 M40i coming in from another dealer which I had planned on buying.. But that steering is giving me pause for concern.

Rob
Rob, I think the so call "dead spot" only appear in comfort mode. It's useful when you are doing long driving & avoid too sensitive steering when you are driving straight line. But once you really try to steer, BMW offer extremely precise steering.

I think you missed the point of a rear wheel drive car. Yes, its tram like for your Golf R due to the 4 wheel drive system. However, the car is less dynamic & for me, it's not fun to drive at all.

For BMW especially rear wheel drive model, the tail of the car is lively and dynamic. It actually have lot of grip for Z4 G29 & its not easy to loss control. Just you don't get use to the dynamic feeling of a car & think its "wandering"

Even for my X5 which is 4 wheel drive, BMW offer the same feeling that the car is dynamic & fun to drive (of course the body roll is much greater)

Once you drive a BMW for long, you never go back!
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2020, 02:54 AM   #3
Paul G29
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i & X5 45e

Red face

Some reviewers find the steering superb, som think it´s trash. Tried for myself before ordering and I think it´s fine for this type of car (a cruiser/ GT). I have a Boxster - much sharper steering but how often do I throw the car into corners? 90% is cruising...
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2020, 06:42 AM   #4
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M440i Convertible

Mine just goes where I point it. Looking at that video I'd guess the tyre pressures are out.
Appreciate 1
SakhirM410783.00
      02-15-2020, 09:11 AM   #5
oz555
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340i x-drive

Garage List
2021 BMW M340iX  [9.00]
Quote:

Rob
Quote:

Rob
The thing is that You use steering in a wrong way. Release the throttle just before turn. When the car "sits" add a throttle a bit and than continue adding the throttle as You straighting the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 09:50 PM   #6
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul G29 View Post
Some reviewers find the steering superb, som think it´s trash. Tried for myself before ordering and I think it´s fine for this type of car (a cruiser/ GT). I have a Boxster - much sharper steering but how often do I throw the car into corners? 90% is cruising...
Reviews for the Z4 seem to vary a bit so I don't take too much of it seriously. Now that I have driven it some more I find the steering to be perfectly fine. I realize it's not a race track car and that is not what I bought it for either. It's a summertime, top down cruiser for me. Although, I do find the suspension in comfort mode a bit stiffer than I wanted. The adaptive suspension on my Golf R is far more comfortable in comfort mode on the highway, but still stiffens up well for sport (race) mode if I want that.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 10:31 AM   #7
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
There will be trade-offs with the convertible. I think post 5:00 min in the video says it all. Enjoy it for what it is
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 02:47 PM   #8
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
Yep, reviews are all over the place on the steering (and most everything else!). I find the steering to be nice enough - not as sharp as a Boxster S but about the same as the hydraulic steering on my F type.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 05:56 PM   #9
QueueCumber
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Current: Z4 M40i; 997.2 GT3 RS

Garage List
Does it handle like my 997.2 GT3 RS? No. Is it sufficient for the type of car that it is and why I bought it? Yes. I already have a track car, so I don’t need the tightest steering in the world.

That being said, and even though I can live with it, BMW should get its sh!t together and tighten up the steering so this car feels like it’s on rails. Then they should recall the steering units on the current vehicles to fix the issue. That would leave a great taste in my mouth and guarantee I stick with BMW for my next vehicle...

I do wonder if they made this design decision intentionally so as not to step on Porsche or Toyota’s toes.
Appreciate 0