BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Watches Farer Watches?

06-19-2017, 08:51 AM   #1
stooker
F80 n00b
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 / '06 S2K

Farer Watches?

Ran across an ad for Farer.

Anyone own one, know anyone who does, or seen/handled one in person? The company reads like a Kickstarter campaign, and I didn't find much about them on dedicated watch forums. Found articles mostly on fashion/lifestyle sites which is a little worrisome. However, they tick the boxes for a decent watch - recognized ETA movement, sapphire crystal, superluminova. The price range is a bit over what I would buy on impulse. The automatic three-hand msrp is $1,075 US, but I think $750-850 would have been a better price range for an unknown company.

Some observations and things that stand out to me:
- Edge domed crystal: if it's like the hesalite crystal on my Speedy Pro, that's a huge plus for me because I love how things distort around the edges
- Bronze crown: a little gimicky and don't really see the purpose, but I'm interested to see how they look after the patina sets in; reminds me of the bronze case Panerais
- I like the use of brighter colors in the dial and hands - a departure from the mostly bland monotone watches out there, but not overdone either
- Not a fan of that chintzy circle date window partially covering the 6 o'clock text
- Wish they offered a manual wind version

Just thought I'd ask here to see if anyone has any additional info.

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 07:28 PM   #2
OneLastBMW
Sarcasm while you wait.
Rep
Drives: 2017 F33 B58 xDrive

I think it's trying way too hard to be different and just looks like someone showed up drunk for work at the Raymond Weil factory. The date porthole perched awkwardly on the 6 is really bad dial design, it could have been located in line with the 3 and not even touch it. The Red hands with everything else going on looks a little busy to my eyes. Longlines, Oris, Tissot, Hamilton, Alpina, Seiko and a dozen other brands make similar styles and are much better designed.

Last edited by OneLastBMW; 06-19-2017 at 07:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 10:36 PM   #3
MNoob
Grand Duke
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4CSL

Garage List
2024 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2005 Lotus Elise  [10.00]
2023 BMW M4 CSL  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLastBMW
just looks like someone showed up drunk for work at the Raymond Weil factory.
      06-19-2017, 11:57 PM   #4
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

There's too much going on in such a basic designed watch .
I don't want to hammer the product down but what I will say is all about my tastes , you may take it or not ,it's all up to you .
I dislike syringe styled hands regardless of brand be it Patek Philippe or Asian Crap
Color of the crown is awkward ,it just doesn't look uniform with the rest of the watch , a similar colored bezel would change it though
Triangle yellow tip is again should not become for everyone ,it just looks in line with the minute track circling around the dial but somehow doesn't work sorry
Red colored hands matching the 5 minute minute markers is good in minutia but overall shape of the hands ruin the look
      06-20-2017, 02:55 AM   #5
stooker
F80 n00b
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 / '06 S2K

Good inputs. Not looking to buy one at the msrp price point, just wondering if anyone's ever seen one in person. I would have bought one sight unseen if the price was lower just to check it out. I think the date window is the worst design element. On their website they offer different strap colors, and it looks a lot better with the tan.
Appreciate 0