BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Ceramic Coating or PPF

08-11-2021, 03:09 PM   #45
OmegaSupreme74
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Recommend wrapping the front half of the car in 10 year guaranteed expel coating and ceramic coating the whole vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 04:19 PM   #46
Horseman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme74 View Post
Recommend wrapping the front half of the car in 10 year guaranteed expel coating and ceramic coating the whole vehicle.
This is what I did, but I went with Suntek.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 04:53 PM   #47
Kwajtrader
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40i G29  [10.00]
For those wondering if PPF is the way to go: After washing the car I noticed what I thought was a spot of lint under the PPF on the A Pillar. I called the place that installed it and they immediately said to just bring it by and they would take care of it. It turns out it was a rock strike, not dirt. It must have been a pretty good sized one. They replaced the piece (at no charge since they had already cut a replacement piece). There was no damage to the paint underneath. They said normally replacing this piece out would only have been about $20. So far so good…
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
Mixitt372.00
Horseman4131.50
CJ4211559.00
      08-12-2021, 07:48 AM   #48
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwajtrader View Post
For those wondering if PPF is the way to go: After washing the car I noticed what I thought was a spot of lint under the PPF on the A Pillar. I called the place that installed it and they immediately said to just bring it by and they would take care of it. It turns out it was a rock strike, not dirt. It must have been a pretty good sized one. They replaced the piece (at no charge since they had already cut a replacement piece). There was no damage to the paint underneath. They said normally replacing this piece out would only have been about $20. So far so good…
Awesome and good save.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 08:35 AM   #49
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Nevermind…. Figured out what the problem was.

Last edited by Horseman; 08-14-2021 at 10:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 07:29 PM   #50
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
I think those A-Pillars are black plastic and not painted. I have them PPF covered on my Z4 as well.

Rob
Appreciate 1
Kwajtrader1087.50
      08-14-2021, 07:32 PM   #51
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

I'm looking at a sapphire black X6 (as my soon to be only vehicle). I wouldn't even consider black unless the whole damn thing is covered with PPF. It's peace of mind for me...

Rob
Appreciate 1
Kwajtrader1087.50
      08-14-2021, 08:52 PM   #52
Kwajtrader
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
I'm looking at a sapphire black X6 (as my soon to be only vehicle). I wouldn't even consider black unless the whole damn thing is covered with PPF. It's peace of mind for me...

Rob
My last car was a black sapphire F13. I had everything in front of the doors covered plus the mirrors, rocker panels and behind and in front of the rear quarter panels. That covered all of the areas that could likely have a rock strike, and it worked really well. With the Z4 I added the doors and door sills and the area under the trunk. The only thing not covered is the rear end above the quarter panels and trunk lid. So far, so good… I’m also ceramic coating everything this week.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 12:29 AM   #53
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
My last car was a black sapphire F13. I had everything in front of the doors covered plus the mirrors, rocker panels and behind and in front of the rear quarter panels. That covered all of the areas that could likely have a rock strike, and it worked really well. With the Z4 I added the doors and door sills and the area under the trunk. The only thing not covered is the rear end above the quarter panels and trunk lid. So far, so good… I’m also ceramic coating everything this week.
The Stek PPF already has a hydrophobic coating as well as stain resistance so I think I will pass on the ceramic this time. Otherwise it just starts getting too expensive.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 08:22 AM   #54
Kwajtrader
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
The Stek PPF already has a hydrophobic coating as well as stain resistance so I think I will pass on the ceramic this time. Otherwise it just starts getting too expensive.

Rob
Halo ceramic coating was recommended to me by the installers as a good DIY product that should give about 2yrs of protection. You can buy it on Amazon for ~$75. I’ll be applying it some time soon and I can share how easy or difficult the process was.
Appreciate 1
Mixitt372.00
      08-31-2021, 08:53 AM   #55
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Had some peeling on the front bumper and one of the side view mirrors. In some areas it created pockets where dirt was getting captured. Took it back in and they fixed it for no fee (expected on all accounts, really. They said it could happen and if it did just bring it back in).

I really like them. Friendly group of folks that do work on some reaaaaally nice cars.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
CJ4211559.00
      08-31-2021, 09:14 AM   #56
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
Had some peeling on the front bumper and one of the side view mirrors. In some areas it created pockets where dirt was getting captured. Took it back in and they fixed it for no fee (expected on all accounts, really. They said it could happen and if it did just bring it back in).

I really like them. Friendly group of folks that do work on some reaaaaally nice cars.
good feedback, thanks.
Appreciate 1
Horseman4131.50
      09-24-2021, 07:04 PM   #57
Kwajtrader
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The rain finally stopped here in GA and I got to wash the car for the first time since the Ceramic coating was applied. I have to say drying the car with a leaf blower is pretty freakin’ awesome! No towels, no lint and it takes much less time.
Appreciate 3
Horseman4131.50
Mixitt372.00
      09-24-2021, 07:37 PM   #58
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The rain finally stopped here in GA and I got to wash the car for the first time since the Ceramic coating was applied. I have to say drying the car with a leaf blower is pretty freakin’ awesome! No towels, no lint and it takes much less time.
Hahaha outstanding!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 05:21 AM   #59
BRIANXIX
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 30i

A good ceramic coating can transform a car. Here is my shadow metallic gray C7 with it
Appreciate 1
CJ4211559.00
      09-29-2021, 06:34 AM   #60
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
I have been following this topic since I picked up my Z4 on Sept. 6 with great interest.

I priced out a few shops by me in South Florida and the prices for PPF and ceramic really vary.

One shop I visited was doing PPF and ceramic on a McLaren and also had a Ferrari in the shop. They were the most expensive and wanted a fortune for either PPF or ceramic coating. They were really pushing for me to do both which I thought was overkill.

My salesman at BMW who I know for a few years and trust suggested I try the local Tint World location, he said many of his customers have used them and they were satisfied with the results. When I visited the shop they were working on a Porsche 911and a BMW M5 Competition. They quoted me prices for Xpel PPF and their own brand of nano ceramic coating that wouldn't break my bank.

At this point I have decided to do PPF on the nose and hood of the car plus the side mirror caps. I am still undecided about doing PPF on the front quarters. I will also apply 2 coats of the ceramic allover which they said was more than sufficient to protect the finish.

Am I making a mistake not applying the PPF to the front quarters and the A pillars? The manager didn't push to do that and said the decision was really up to me.

Finally has anyone had experience having work done at a Tint World location? They are all franchises there are 2 parts to the question.

1) the quality of their work.
I saw the work they were doing on the 911 and the M5 and it looked really good.

2) the products they use.
I know that Xpel is a really good PPF so I am not worried about it. The question is how good is their own brand of ceramic coating?

I would appreciate your insight as I will have the work done next week.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 07:33 AM   #61
Kaike21
Rep
Drives: Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
I have been following this topic since I picked up my Z4 on Sept. 6 with great interest.

I priced out a few shops by me in South Florida and the prices for PPF and ceramic really vary.

One shop I visited was doing PPF and ceramic on a McLaren and also had a Ferrari in the shop. They were the most expensive and wanted a fortune for either PPF or ceramic coating. They were really pushing for me to do both which I thought was overkill.

My salesman at BMW who I know for a few years and trust suggested I try the local Tint World location, he said many of his customers have used them and they were satisfied with the results. When I visited the shop they were working on a Porsche 911and a BMW M5 Competition. They quoted me prices for Xpel PPF and their own brand of nano ceramic coating that wouldn't break my bank.

At this point I have decided to do PPF on the nose and hood of the car plus the side mirror caps. I am still undecided about doing PPF on the front quarters. I will also apply 2 coats of the ceramic allover which they said was more than sufficient to protect the finish.

Am I making a mistake not applying the PPF to the front quarters and the A pillars? The manager didn't push to do that and said the decision was really up to me.

Finally has anyone had experience having work done at a Tint World location? They are all franchises there are 2 parts to the question.

I know that Xpel is a really good PPF so I am not worried about it. The question is how good is their own brand of ceramic coating?

Hey where will you do the job? I live close to you apparently.. I live in Miami and also have a m40i that I received 3 weeks ago and will do a ceramic coating as well
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 07:43 AM   #62
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaike21 View Post
Hey where will you do the job? I live close to you apparently.. I live in Miami and also have a m40i that I received 3 weeks ago and will do a ceramic coating as well
I visited the Tint World location located at 1260 W Sunrise Blvd a few blocks from the I-95 exit. Each location is a franchise and that determines the quality of the work based on their staff.

Speak to Richard their manager.

They are also franchise locations for Tint World in North Miami and Hollywood which may be ok. I went to the Sunrise Blvd. location because my salesman at BMW of Ft. Lauderdale recommended them and (pardon the pun) he has never steered me wrong.

If you have any other questions you can always send me a PM.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 08:20 AM   #63
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:

Kwat did the A pillars and discovered a rock strike his shop repaired. it saved him. Just saying.

On another front, I know the area both of you guys are in. I was raised in Kendall area of Miami.
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2021, 08:34 AM   #64
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ007 View Post
Kwat did the A pillars and discovered a rock strike his shop repaired. it saved him. Just saying.

On another front, I know the area both of you guys are in. I was raised in Kendall area of Miami.
Yes, I am really considering PPF for the A pillars. Do I really need to do the front quarters?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 09:10 AM   #65
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Yes, I am really considering PPF for the A pillars. Do I really need to do the front quarters?
That depends on where you drive and your comfort factor for sand, grit, and rock chips. I recall having man minor sand and grit marks on the front of my M235 and it was only based on feel. You couldn't see it.
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2021, 12:36 PM   #66
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
I took a rock (it seems) to the front end down below by the front vents. Very small and minor. I figure I'll take a few more before I bug them to replace any pieces.
Appreciate 0