BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Acura NSX first drive impressions are in...

10-27-2015, 08:35 PM   #23
TahoeM3
Major
Rep
Drives: F-type R, GTR, X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
If they only quote a 0-60 it means it's not that fast once you get past the advantage from the AWD / electric motors / launch software. Will still be faster than a Tesla though since it has an actual gearbox.
Estimated 0-60 in 2.9, 0-100 in 7.6 and 1/4 mile in 11.1. Not too shabby.
Gone but not forgotten: '12 X5M, '07 AM SuperVantage, '05 Boxster S, '01 BMW M3,...
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 09:51 PM   #24
BloomRunsDubs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
Would be a great car for 80-100k. Looks pretty good and the interior looks pretty nice.

Still id never spend 150k on anything other then a Lamborghini
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 10:41 PM   #25
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloomRunsDubs View Post
Would be a great car for 80-100k. Looks pretty good and the interior looks pretty nice.

Still id never spend 150k on anything other then a Lamborghini
Which Lamborghini costs $150K?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 08:02 AM   #26
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Acura NSX

These cars are not comparable, I know. Different performance, different buyers, different pricing.

Just figured we needed a place to discuss the loooooooong awaited NSX, a car that I still geek out about every time I see one on the road. Initially the reviews seem to be positive. They like the speed, comfort and hybrid powertrain. Interior looks nice enough to me, but then I compare it to a Mercedes AMG GTS and see a big gulf in quality and design.

For me, the biggest shock is the weight. I have read upwards of 3800lbs for this car. That seems to go against where most automakers are going.

Compared to its competitors, seems a bit heavy to me:

-911 is 3200 lbs
-R8 is 3500 lbs
-i8 is 3500 lbs
-AMG GTS is 3600 lbs
-Would potential M4 GTS buyers could take a peek at this car?

But then I look at the performance figures and see the added weight that come from the electric motors rocket this car to 60 in a true super car time of 3 seconds. The price point being thrown out is $150K, but that hasn't been confirmed yet.

Overall I think Honda has bungled the release of this car. Seems like a decade ago Jerry Seinfeld was in that Superbowl commercial with it. I saw the concept at the Detroit Auto show 3 years ago! It was supposed to be on our roads earlier this year. My love for the NSX goes back 2 decades and I totally and completely want this car to be as good as the first one was. For the sake of Honda and all sporty & fun cars they have put out over the years, I want this to succeed.

Chris Harris is ominously tweeting about his upcoming review:

chris harris ‏@harrismonkey Oct 26
I drove the NSX last week. And I'm reading some of the reviews today and wondering if I drove the same car......

Oh really?
      10-29-2015, 01:04 PM   #27
BloomRunsDubs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Which Lamborghini costs $150K?
You can get a older Murcielago or a pretty damn nice Gallardo for well under 150K
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 01:57 PM   #28
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Just took a peek at the interior. Good lord. The concept smacked of right around 2007 ... and the actual one is worse.

At the $150K price point ... I'll spend another $30 or $40K and snag the McLaren 570S. I'd rock the new R8 before any Lamborghini ... and have enough left over for an M5.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 02:01 PM   #29
imserious
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 MR

Not bad, not great. Deviates from the purist concept of the original NSX and introduces a very tech heavy approach to the sports car. Since it is no longer unique in its approach it will have a lot more like competition.

I have a feeling that this is going to get blown to pieces by the new Nissan GTR.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 07:49 PM   #30
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
You can get a older Murcielago or a pretty damn nice Gallardo for well under 150K
Factor in oil changes, service, tires, and the fact that it won't have a warranty, it hardly seems worth it...
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 08:59 PM   #31
BloomRunsDubs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Factor in oil changes, service, tires, and the fact that it won't have a warranty, it hardly seems worth it...
Thats only if you take it to a Lamborghini dealer and pay lambo tax which is pointless if the car is out of warranty.

Take it to a trustworthy independent shop and it will cost the around same as a BMW M car or a GTR, for the gallardo at least. It shares many of its parts with the Audi R8. Based on what the owners ive talked to said, the gallardo is a pretty reliable car.

Extremely worth it for such an exclusive car. At lease imo
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 02:54 PM   #32
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Based on what the owners ive talked to said, the gallardo is a pretty reliable car.
I suppose that's good to hear. I've driven two. One had the entire gauge set behind the wheel (not the center-mounted ones) fail mid-trip, and the other threw a valve not 10 minutes after I turned the wheel over to its owner.

Ummm ... no.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 02:56 PM   #33
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

The only way I'd consider it is if I were single with no kids. And it would be my daily. Not special enough to be a weekend car. But then again that's what it looks like its target audience is for. Even if I had multiple weekend cars in rotation, I just don't see the point of this car in my life. Pretty much an i8 to me.

The only thing this car has in common with the old nsx is the name.

Granted, I've never driven it and basing it off of reviews I've seen and read.

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 04:09 PM   #34
TahoeM3
Major
Rep
Drives: F-type R, GTR, X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnnerdboy View Post
The only way I'd consider it is if I were single with no kids. And it would be my daily. Not special enough to be a weekend car. But then again that's what it looks like its target audience is for. Even if I had multiple weekend cars in rotation, I just don't see the point of this car in my life. Pretty much an i8 to me.

The only thing this car has in common with the old nsx is the name.

Granted, I've never driven it and basing it off of reviews I've seen and read.
It's hard to say unless you get behind the wheel, but I'd think the NSX will be a very good special occasion/weekend car.

The i8 is no slouch, but the NSX will be much faster. Over 200 hp more (not to mention some good tuning potential) will overcome the weight disadvantage.

Definitely different than the old NSX, but different times call for different solutions.

Last edited by TahoeM3; 10-31-2015 at 06:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 06:04 PM   #35
DTMAMG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e63

nice car, but NOT for that price, many other choices
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 08:07 PM   #36
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Is there another sub $150k hybrid that get even close to the NSX performance?
I would look at the price tag of the P1, 918 and LaFerrari before stating it's expensive. Looks like a relative stellar value to me.

But until Honda prove they can build a competitive hybrid racing engine ( performance and reliability ) I wouldn't touch anything like this from them. Their record so far is nothing short of a complete horror story...so no thanks maybe 10 years from now if they can dig themselves up from the deep F1 hole they're in and apply the knowledge to the NSX.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 08:49 AM   #37
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Is there another sub $150k hybrid that get even close to the NSX performance?
I would look at the price tag of the P1, 918 and LaFerrari before stating it's expensive. Looks like a relative stellar value to me.

Yeah but who actually LOOKS for a hybrid super car? I just figure they want something that's stylish, attention grabbing, fast as hell, and fun to drive. I don't think people in that demographic care too much about if it's a hybrid or not so at $150k, there's a lot of cars that fit that description.
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2015, 09:30 AM   #38
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8k3 View Post
No thanks. The design was out in 2012 and it's still not for sale yet, car seems dated already and for the money just doesn't perform. Japanese need to stay away from supercar attempts
Agree with this statement. Japanese do supercars well, if they just build the damn thing, but they're always way to conservative.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 01:24 PM   #39
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Yeah but who actually LOOKS for a hybrid super car? I just figure they want something that's stylish, attention grabbing, fast as hell, and fun to drive. I don't think people in that demographic care too much about if it's a hybrid or not so at $150k, there's a lot of cars that fit that description.
That's the question isn't it, it's the future for sure but is it too early? I dunno but given that the last NSX had 15 years production run it's likely the best decision for Honda. I fear that the days of non hybrids or full electrics are numbered and we could see a very quick change in the next generation of sports cars. I.e next M cars, next 911, next "base" Ferrari and Lamborghini might all be hybrids with full electrics making it to the sports car brands lineups. Though Honda should have made it a plug-in for better future proofing, maybe that's just a refresh away though.

All-in all I think they made the right choices but the execution doesn't seem to be perfect from initial reviews and then we have the F1 disaster with Button not even making it to the starting grid today and Alonso having a break-down immediately, this after a full season of disasters and no real progress. An NSX for me? No thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 06:17 PM   #40
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
The i8 sold well enough. I don't see the NSX having any problem selling, it's only slightly more expensive and in a completely different league.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 01:12 PM   #41
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcman View Post
The i8 sold well enough. I don't see the NSX having any problem selling, it's only slightly more expensive and in a completely different league.
LOL

i8 looks great and is a $120k BMW, a price area that BMW has large customer base.
NSX looks dated and is a $150k Honda, a price area that Acura/Honda have never explored. Also this car has had so many delays and even now dealers dont know when they will be getting them.
Good luck placing ur order and waiting another year or 2 for your exact build.
Both of these appeal to techies not your diehard enthusiasts.

Serious supercar buyers would not look at either.

For 150-200k, i would get new R8 or 570S.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 10:31 PM   #42
Southern
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
LOL

i8 looks great and is a $120k BMW, a price area that BMW has large customer base.
NSX looks dated and is a $150k Honda, a price area that Acura/Honda have never explored. Also this car has had so many delays and even now dealers dont know when they will be getting them.
Good luck placing ur order and waiting another year or 2 for your exact build.
Both of these appeal to techies not your diehard enthusiasts.

Serious supercar buyers would not look at either.

For 150-200k, i would get new R8 or 570S.
Lol are you kidding me? The NSX looks better than the i8 and performs far better than the i8 or anything else BMW has ever produced. It's news to me that BMW has a large swath of $120k buyers.

Since you're not a supercar buyer, how would you know whether or not supercar buyers are (or are not) considering the NSX? Let me guess, you "have some buddies who own supercars" and this is what they told you...

This thing is a supercar with tech that you won't find outside of a much more expensive hypercar.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 10:34 PM   #43
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern View Post
Lol are you kidding me? The NSX looks better than the i8 and performs far better than the i8 or anything else BMW has ever produced. It's news to me that BMW has a large swath of $120k buyers.

Since you're not a supercar buyer, how would you know whether or not supercar buyers are (or are not) considering the NSX? Let me guess, you "have some buddies who own supercars" and this is what they told you...

This thing is a supercar with tech that you won't find outside of a much more expensive hypercar.
Yeah like a c6 z06.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2015, 11:06 AM   #44
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

Pass. I only see this selling to honda fan boys that wanted a NSX when they were younger. I'd honestly take an older NSX over this one. Now back in the day those were legit cars compared to what was on the market. This one seems just like a desprite reach out by honda to get into the "super car" market. Which personally I dont think it is. Just a stretched out glorified honda with a large price tag. I'd never consider purchasing a NSX given what's on the market today.
Appreciate 0