BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Acura NSX priced in Lambo Huracan/McLaren 570S/Porsche GT3 territory loaded. Mistake?

12-21-2015, 11:43 PM   #67
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Ok I just watched the MT Ignition episode with the NSX. Honestly, the car seems great to me. There was a lot of whining about why it isn't more like the old NSX (sound familiar M3 owners ). But other than the numb steering and engine note, the car is great. I don't think it's for everyone, but certainly worth the price of entry.

I also like the styling. If I had a 200k budget for a car the NSX would be right there fighting for my money. Part of the reason you buy a car this expensive is to be unique and have interesting things to say about the car to other people.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 09:42 AM   #68
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRib View Post
Ok I just watched the MT Ignition episode with the NSX. Honestly, the car seems great to me. There was a lot of whining about why it isn't more like the old NSX (sound familiar M3 owners ). But other than the numb steering and engine note, the car is great. I don't think it's for everyone, but certainly worth the price of entry.
People are also forgetting that one of the primary goals of the original NSX was to make a supercar that can be used every day, they made sacrifices to ensure comfort, usability and reliability (270hp V6 anyone?). But everyone is looking at them through rose tinted glasses as some hardcore, stripped down racer.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 10:15 AM   #69
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcman View Post
But everyone is looking at them through rose tinted glasses as some hardcore, stripped down racer.
I beg to differ on the hardcore statement. What's hardcore about the NSX is its tech -- not its raw performance.

It's a high-end sports car, priced to need to perform at a certain level in everything from performance to luxury. The original was like that, and this one is like that -- Honda has just approached it from two somewhat different directions because of "the times". The biggest problems with this new version are:

- It's about five years too late to really make eyebrows raise with what's supposed to make it "hardcore"
- It's designed by committee, with the current Honda hyper-conservatism that the company is only just now realizing how badly it has hurt its brands' ability to market toward enthusiasts (precedent: Acura hasn't had a true performance car in its lineup for nearly a decade now; Civics haven't been serious tuner platforms for the past three generations)
- It's sales model is doomed from the start because of Honda's corporate obstinance (precedent: Lexus LFA)

It's simple, really: virtually no one to whom this car is marketed toward will take this car seriously because, in typical contemporary Honda fashion, it's trying to be too many things at once -- and none of those things have a hard-enough edge to make the car truly stand out. Not even the tech.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 10:52 AM   #70
fcman
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
I beg to differ on the hardcore statement. What's hardcore about the NSX is its tech -- not its raw performance.

It's a high-end sports car, priced to need to perform at a certain level in everything from performance to luxury. The original was like that, and this one is like that -- Honda has just approached it from two somewhat different directions because of "the times". The biggest problems with this new version are:

- It's about five years too late to really make eyebrows raise with what's supposed to make it "hardcore"
- It's designed by committee, with the current Honda hyper-conservatism that the company is only just now realizing how badly it has hurt its brands' ability to market toward enthusiasts (precedent: Acura hasn't had a true performance car in its lineup for nearly a decade now; Civics haven't been serious tuner platforms for the past three generations)
- It's sales model is doomed from the start because of Honda's corporate obstinance (precedent: Lexus LFA)

It's simple, really: virtually no one to whom this car is marketed toward will take this car seriously because, in typical contemporary Honda fashion, it's trying to be too many things at once -- and none of those things have a hard-enough edge to make the car truly stand out. Not even the tech.
I get what you're saying, but I dont necessarily agree that it's completely Honda's fault. I think the hardcore tech at this point is performance oriented hybrid drivetrains, Honda has taken the philosophies of top tier hypercars like the 918 Spyder and pushed it down to affordability. Unfortunately, as you said, it doesn't make the car stand out. But I think that has more to do with the fact that, while these drivetrains are cutting edge, hugely efficient designs, at this price point and level of performance they aren't really exciting in the way the more mechanical cars are like the 570s.
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2015, 06:27 PM   #71
rcoccultwar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 8/15 M2

Honda has suggested a "mini" NSX can be done. It be nice if they made it for fun rather than profit and performance numbers.

The torque vectoring could be good for Google's "driverless" mode, with no need for the steering wheel to move?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 07:16 PM   #72
BloomRunsDubs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
This would be a great car for $75-100k price range like the GT-R.

If I can get a Murcielago or a Huracan, even a Gallardo or a R8 v10 for the same price or less!? Get F**king real!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 09:03 PM   #73
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloomRunsDubs

If I can get a Murcielago or a Huracan, even a Gallardo or a R8 v10 for the same price or less!? Get F**king real!
I agree. All the positive points mentioned are definitely valid, I'm sure it will be a great car. ... But for the price, there are just so many other cars I would rather have. Plain and simple
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 01:07 PM   #74
Blackraven
Captain
Rep
Drives: Toyota Corolla ALTIS

A naturally aspirated V10 car would be a way better buy than this new NSX
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 10:37 AM   #75
Dinh335
Major
Rep
Drives: 2004 RX8/2015 M3/2017 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloomRunsDubs View Post

not arguing here....but my take is that yes, you can get a Gallardo, R8 etc for the same price, the thing is, they want you to say that...cause in their eyes, that means they are viewed on the same level.

Which is unlike the original NSX's goal which was more 'this can beat the big boys for half the price, check out what we just did". Seems like the new one's goal is to say we are a legit serious company now. I'm not sure the new goal is working, but will hold off judgement till the thing gets really tested out.

I think it's easy to dismiss the car but I'm still curious to see what sort of numbers it puts up.

And I sense in real life, it will still turn a few heads. Maybe not as much as a lambo, but more than a GTR imho. I think this car is for a person that doesn't want a Lambo though, but can say "i outsmarted" the guy in the lambo.
      01-06-2016, 12:59 PM   #76
rcoccultwar
Private First Class
Rep

Let's be honest here. As a baseline example we can use the 1982 Audi Quattro
Attached Images

Last edited by rcoccultwar; 01-06-2016 at 01:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 01:06 PM   #77
rcoccultwar
Private First Class
Rep

It was listed at 35k back when it was brand new. To 1990 that would be 47k-ish. Today this would be 86k.

It is still more than arms reach from the 60k NSX, and today it is also out of arms reach of a 115K 2015 R8.

A 75-100K would be nice car to produce and personally, the world needs it. There appears to be a lull outside of a car or two in this bracket.

For a relatively successful guy to make a few bad financial decisions, this wouldn't be crippling compared to being stuck with an exotic. It wouldn't appear a guy is trying too hard either.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2016, 01:30 PM   #78
MELLOWYELLOW06
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 & 2022 X& M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
I honestly also think the old NSX looks better than this new one. The new one doesn't strike me as a Supercar... And it definitely doesn't look as expensive as it is...
I agree 100%

I personally would get the AMG GTS with the price that it sits at
      01-06-2016, 11:06 PM   #79
BloomRunsDubs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinh335 View Post
not arguing here....but my take is that yes, you can get a Gallardo, R8 etc for the same price, the thing is, they want you to say that...cause in their eyes, that means they are viewed on the same level.

Which is unlike the original NSX's goal which was more 'this can beat the big boys for half the price, check out what we just did". Seems like the new one's goal is to say we are a legit serious company now. I'm not sure the new goal is working, but will hold off judgement till the thing gets really tested out.

I think it's easy to dismiss the car but I'm still curious to see what sort of numbers it puts up.

And I sense in real life, it will still turn a few heads. Maybe not as much as a lambo, but more than a GTR imho. I think this car is for a person that doesn't want a Lambo though, but can say "i outsmarted" the guy in the lambo.
I agree with most of what you said... but the original NSX WAS half the price of a Lambo, but this one costs about 80% of a brand new huracan...

The numbers dont look good so far for the NSX either. How would someone be able to say I outsmarted the person in the lambo when they payed the same if now more (Gallardo or Murci) for a freaking Acura!?... Cause it gets better gas mileage? Lol

Ps. I like the NSX I think it looks great inside and out but it shouldn't be in the price range of those cars
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 08:41 AM   #80
fcman
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloomRunsDubs View Post
I agree with most of what you said... but the original NSX WAS half the price of a Lambo, but this one costs about 80% of a brand new huracan...
Not really comparable. When the original NSX released the only supercar Lamborghini sold was the Diablo (which was more expensive in 1990 than the Huracan is in 2016, and was more expensive than the Aventador when adjusted for inflation), they did not have a downmarket model like they do now. The comparison here would be new NSX vs Aventador.

The NSX was $60k MSRP in 1991, which is roughly $105k in 2016 when adjusted for inflation.

Last edited by fcman; 01-07-2016 at 10:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 08:42 AM   #81
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

This thing is such a bucket of fail. And this is coming from an Acura dealer tech.
Appreciate 0