BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos The Ferrari SF90 copied the Acura NSX

Closed Thread

05-21-2019, 03:00 PM   #1
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Exclamation The Ferrari SF90 copied the Acura NSX

History repeats itself

https://jalopnik.com/ferraris-hybrid...tor-1834916610
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 03:07 PM   #2
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
Um, LaFez was a hybrid well before the NSX.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 03:13 PM   #3
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post

Read the article....sounds like a copy of the NSX

The LaFerrari is a hybrid but a completely different type of drive system
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 03:39 PM   #4
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Read the article....sounds like a copy of the NSX

The LaFerrari is a hybrid but a completely different type of drive system
I get what you and Jalopnik are trying to say, but Ferrari has been doing hybrid for how long in F1, and did the LaFez 6 years ago. It makes sense that they'd make a few changes.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 05:07 PM   #5
BigHunk
///M
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M , iX , S1000XR

Nobody copies Honda (maybe Kia )
Ferrari probably wants do same thing as Porsche with 918 spyder.
918 units sold out (850t$ base price) from Dec 2013 to Dec 2014,while NSX still sits unsold at dealerships.
Plus Ferrari will have 2sec to 100km/h while NSX is 3.3sec to 100km/h etc etc
      05-21-2019, 05:25 PM   #6
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHunk View Post
Nobody copies Honda (maybe Kia )
Ferrari probably wants do same thing as Porsche with 918 spyder.
918 units sold out (850t$ base price) from Dec 2013 to Dec 2014,while NSX still sits unsold at dealerships.
Plus Ferrari will have 2sec to 100km/h while NSX is 3.3sec to 100km/h etc etc
Nobody copies Honda? What car do you think McLaren used to copy and design their original F1? Why do you think Ferrari actually started making cars that last more than 30,000 miles without falling apart these days?

Here's what Gordon Murray said about the original NSX on his development of the F1

"The moment I drove the 'little' NSX, all the benchmark cars–Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini–I had been using as references in the development of my car vanished from my mind," said Murray. "Of course the car we would create, the McLaren F1, needed to be faster than the NSX, but the NSX's ride quality and handling would become our new design target."

Yeah, nobody copies Honda.....

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...gordon-murray/

Btw, the new Ferrari will cost 8 times what the car they copied cost. It will also have a V8 and 1000 hp..... it better be faster
Appreciate 1
JTO245246.50
      05-21-2019, 06:59 PM   #7
Flacht3
Not Enough Garage Space
Rep
Drives: STO /765LTS/ Macan

It's a far reach to claim they're copying the NSX but I will say this:

It's a helluva time to be a car guy. Both the best and worst of times. Pure, raw cars with manuals, N/A and RWD may be dying out but new cars have insane performance numbers that no one could have dreamt of 10 years ago.

Luckily there's a solution, grab some of the last "raw" cars (manual F80? N/A GT3s?) and hold onto them forever while saving your pennies for the balls-to-the-wall 2s 0-60 hybrid monsters coming down the pipeline.
      05-21-2019, 07:26 PM   #8
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

sounds like an electrified Pista to me.. 2 for front wheels, and 1 for boosting the crank as the turbos got bigger..
as Ferrari stated 60% of the line up will get electrified by 2022..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 07:33 PM   #9
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_DM View Post

It's a helluva time to be a car guy. Both the best and worst of times. Pure, raw cars with manuals, N/A and RWD may be dying out but new cars have insane performance numbers that no one could have dreamt of 10 years ago.

Luckily there's a solution, grab some of the last "raw" cars (manual F80? N/A GT3s?) and hold onto them forever while saving your pennies for the balls-to-the-wall 2s 0-60 hybrid monsters coming down the pipeline.
Not that far of a reach as the article indicated.... twin turbo ICE with three electrical motors in the same place as the NSX, you can bet they bought one and dissected it...ain't the first time or last time a car maker does something like that.
But, yes it is a hell of a time for sports cars right now...wish I was a billionaire or at least a millionaire....

I'm hearing rumors that the next generation Cayman will be all electric......can imagine how quick that will be

Still want to get me a 981 version soon though

Last edited by SoCal_NSX; 05-21-2019 at 09:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 01:55 PM   #10
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_DM View Post

exactly what I'm trying to do

but i still feel like the last wave of NA cars (gt3, huracan, 458, viper ) are still more than enough for the street if you're redlining it and turning traction off. until driving my m3 and 458 at 10/10ths on the street get boring, i don't feel like i need to upgrade to any of this hybrid stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
sounds like an electrified Pista to me.. 2 for front wheels, and 1 for boosting the crank as the turbos got bigger..
as Ferrari stated 60% of the line up will get electrified by 2022..
pretty much.

and the pista is basically a 488 motor with a bootmod tune on it.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 03:41 PM   #11
WestRace
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

Saying the NSX and SF90 have something in common is like saying Honda and Ferrari are similar because they both use engines.
Appreciate 1
Flacht31135.00
      05-29-2019, 03:49 PM   #12
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRace View Post
Saying the NSX and SF90 have something in common is like saying Honda and Ferrari are similar because they both use engines.

Did you even read any of the articles???

Both mention them copying the NSX electric motor drivetrain, but carry on....
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 03:55 PM   #13
Shiza
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, X5, Ram 2500, Wrangler

I wouldn't say that they've copied, more so improved upon the NSX drivetrain layout. 0-60 in 2 seconds and 986hp

The original NSX inspired Ferrari to step-up their game. Looks like the new one is doing the same.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 03:58 PM   #14
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiza View Post
I wouldn't say that they've copied, more so improved upon the NSX drivetrain layout. 0-60 in 2 seconds and 986hp

The original NSX inspired Ferrari to step-up their game. Looks like the new one is doing the same.

Pretty much.....like I said, history repeats itself
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 03:59 PM   #15
WestRace
Major
Rep

Quote:
Did you even read any of the articles???

Both mention them copying the NSX electric motor drivetrain, but carry on....
And the NSX copied the 918 which was out long time ago. The LaFerrari already had hybrid. So it's not like Ferrari was waiting to see what Honda was doing. And of course all wheel drive had existed since 1900's. So to say Ferrari copied Honda is like saying Kate Upton copied some plain jane.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 04:08 PM   #16
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
And the NSX copied the 918 which was out long time ago. The LaFerrari already had hybrid. So it's not like Ferrari was waiting to see what Honda was doing. And of course all wheel drive had existed since 1900's. So to say Ferrari copied Honda is like saying Kate Upton copied some plain jane.
Haha... like I said Read just about ANY article on the new F-Car...they ALL mention the NSX...you might save yourself some embarrassment

The LaFerrari and 918 don't have the same layout.... they are hybrids, but not like the NSX and new Ferrari with the three electric motors in the exact same places

It's no shame, it happens all the time in the car industry...what car do you think Gordon Murray used to inspire and help develop the original F1???

Just google the new Ferrari..... every article I've read mentions the NSX

Don't understand why you're so bothered by it?

I would encourage you to read these articles to see what they are talking about

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/f...rcar-official/

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...e-photos-info/

Last edited by SoCal_NSX; 05-29-2019 at 04:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 04:36 PM   #17
WestRace
Major
Rep

Quote:
Haha... like I said Read just about ANY article on the new F-Car...they ALL mention the NSX...you might save yourself some embarrassment

The LaFerrari and 918 don't have the same layout.... they are hybrids, but not like the NSX and new Ferrari with the three electric motors in the exact same places

It's no shame, it happens all the time in the car industry...what car do you think Gordon Murray used to inspire and help develop the original F1???

Just google the new Ferrari..... every article I've read mentions the NSX

Don't understand why you're so bothered by it?

I would encourage you to read these articles to see what they are talking about

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/f...rcar-official/

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...e-photos-info/

Your problem is your reasoning is not rigorous enough. You see something similar and immediately jumped to the conclusion. Just because something are similar does not mean they copied each other. Just because event A happened before event B does not mean A caused B. It's logic 101 in college. Surely you did go to college? lols.

Having an electric motor driving each wheel is so yesterday so it's not like Honda came up with it first. Ever head of Tesla? RIMAC? 918? So who copied who? So it's more likely Ferrari copied the 918 or Tesla and not the NSX since 918 and Tesla happened first right?

If I use your logic, then all front engine cars are the same since they all have engines in the front. It's like saying the Ferrari 599 copied the Accord because they both have engines on the front. Likewise, all mid engine cars copied each other. Everybody copied each others. Beethoven copied Mozart because well they both happen to compose music.

My point is Ferrari didn't copy the NSX because well they both have similar layout. Like I said above, the idea of having an electric motor driving a single wheel has been done long time ago before the NSX (Tesla, RIMAC, 918).
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 05:02 PM   #18
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
Your problem is your reasoning is not rigorous enough. You see something similar and immediately jumped to the conclusion. Just because something are similar does not mean they copied each other. Just because event A happened before event B does not mean A caused B. It's logic 101 in college. Surely you did go to college? lols.

Having an electric motor driving each wheel is so yesterday so it's not like Honda came up with it first. Ever head of Tesla? RIMAC? 918? So who copied who? So it's more likely Ferrari copied the 918 or Tesla and not the NSX since 918 and Tesla happened first right?

If I use your logic, then all front engine cars are the same since they all have engines in the front. It's like saying the Ferrari 599 copied the Accord because they both have engines on the front. Likewise, all mid engine cars copied each other. Everybody copied each others. Beethoven copied Mozart because well they both happen to compose music.

My point is Ferrari didn't copy the NSX because well they both have similar layout. Like I said above, the idea of having an electric motor driving a single wheel has been done long time ago before the NSX (Tesla, RIMAC, 918).
Obviously you didn't read any ôf the articles I linked for you
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 07:21 PM   #19
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Just because you and one journalist have this opinion does not in any way make you right. You get that, right?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 08:52 PM   #20
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
Just because you and one journalist have this opinion does not in any way make you right. You get that, right?
It’s not mine or the other three opinions... it’s simple facts
Three different articles with three different writers all make reference to the NSX

Don’t see why that’s so hard for some to contemplate.... they use the same set up as the NSX. Not the first time this will happen or the last that a company takes something from another car company

It’s not hard to imagine Ferrari using the new NSX as a mule car for the SF90
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 08:58 PM   #21
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Oh boy. I suppose you think Mercedes probably copies the Honda F1 team too. We get it, you like the NSX. Cool.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 09:56 PM   #22
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
Oh boy. I suppose you think Mercedes probably copies the Honda F1 team too. We get it, you like the NSX. Cool.
Haha... yeah that’s it

If I had the money for a new one I’d probably go with a used 458 instead
Doesn’t change the fact that the car has some amazing tech and obviously Ferrari thinks so too.

Just about every article on the car mentions the NSX...you should read one or two.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread