BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Acura NSX priced in Lambo Huracan/McLaren 570S/Porsche GT3 territory loaded. Mistake?

12-19-2015, 09:22 AM   #45
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

Quote:
Originally Posted by See5 View Post
Not entirely true. While they were cobbled together from various vehicles under a limited budget, they happen to be very good auto-X and road racing vehicles.
Without extensive modding, no, they certainly are not.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2015, 10:09 AM   #46
rcl
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

wow.

AMG GT
AUDI R8
BMW I8
911 gt3
BMW m6
nissan gtr

are cars I'd get before that, not to mention the used cars out there..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2015, 04:18 PM   #47
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive, 2014 X5 3.5d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
The Kappa cars (Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky) were absolutely abysmal cars. They didn't get a thing on those cars right, aside from arguably the styling.

That said, I've never understood all the fuss over the Miata. I haven't driven the new one, but I've driven the prior cars. To me, they all feel mushy and labored. Not an exciting car to drive in the slightest, imo.
The allure with Miata is its 50-50 weight distribution and its weight. Not to mention they were rock solid and extremely tuneable. It was also affordable so most people could buy one. That formula hasn't been repeated since.

For a car that's twenty five years old, I think it's still one of the better looking roadsters out there....
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 02:52 AM   #48
rcoccultwar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 8/15 M2

A lot of people, say, 25-30 year olds won't associate as well with those who had been driving for a handful more years.

Honda left a lot of dedicated automobile enthusiasts in the dark, cold, or hanging for what seemed like ten years. They lost a significant fan base and might pay dearly for that. Could be why lots of people can't justify 200k for a Honda.

After some consideration, I have been able to justify a 2017 Ford to cost as much as a Brooklyn apartment. Ford always had some money in reserve and I always suspected they dumped a ton of money in healthcare during the big mess when lots of complainers still lived at home or in a dorm.

$200k Honda? Haven't checked, but HMC seems reasonably prudent with finances. Wouldn't be surprised if they are leaders in robotics and dump tons into the industry. I still bring up the movie Ex-Machina in conversations. Watch out! Robots might actually side on for woman as more beneficial than for men if comes to that.

The new NSX has a nice woman's touch to it. Kind of like, freshly out of warranty BMW's.
Appreciate 2
      12-20-2015, 07:54 AM   #49
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow

The only way its price tag makes any sense is to have the new NSX come in a very limited production number. Pretty sure it's an awesome car to drive and own. Not sure if it's just me, but seems like Honda is trying to kill off Acura brand slowly
      12-20-2015, 09:08 AM   #50
bueller
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 EB F31 2018 LG F80

Garage List
Not really all that interested.

I like driving, I find technology interesting, this car does not have me thinking for a nanosecond of cancelling my GT4 order and trying to get on the NSX list. In fact, for the $$$ I can think of many other cars I would rather have.

I am sure will be a fascinating car, like the LF-A and GT-R, I think people should drive whatever makes them happy, for me the new NSX would not be such a car.

I guess on the up side it's bound to be cheaper to maintain and more reliable than a Ferrari! I have not many Ferrari divers that are concerned with gas mileage or running costs.

B.

Last edited by bueller; 12-20-2015 at 01:27 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2015, 09:50 AM   #51
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcl View Post
wow.

AMG GT
AUDI R8
BMW I8
911 gt3
BMW m6
nissan gtr

are cars I'd get before that, not to mention the used cars out there..
I8? M6? GTR? lol come on, you're trying way too hard.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 10:04 AM   #52
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

no ones going to spend that kind of money on a glorified honda.

its like when lexus was charging $350k-ish for the LFA. people thought it was a crazy price.

Nissan did it right with their GTR pricing.
      12-21-2015, 10:06 AM   #53
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by carzaddict

its like when lexus was charging $350k-ish for the LFA. people thought it was a crazy price.

Agreed. But I wonder how much they are going to charge for their GT-R powered Infiniti if that ever comes out... Since it's an Infiniti, it will have to carry a premium over the Nissan, right? Just food for thought haha
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 11:47 AM   #54
fcman
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
How so? Every one of those is either dead, about to be dead (Evo) or comically stagnant (WRX/STI). Some were great cars, like the S2k and RX7, but Honda, Toyota, Mazda and the others just don't care about having a sports car if it isn't helping the bottom line, the Miata being the one exception.
I agree with you completely, the japanese have lost their edge (although I think they are starting to make an effort to fix that). But the comment I was responding to was that those Japanese sports cars were horrible. And it seems like DocWeatherington judges a sports car by how many cars are sold
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2015, 11:53 AM   #55
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bueller
Not really all that interested.

I like driving, I find technology interesting, this car does not have me thinking for a nanosecond of cancelling my GT4 order and trying to get on the NSX list. In fact, for the $$$ I can think of many other cars I would rather have.

I am sure will be a fascinating car, like the LF-A and GT-R, I think people should drive whatever makes them happy, for me the new NSX would not be such a car.

I guess on the up side it's bound to be cheaper to maintain and more reliable than a Ferrari! I have not many Ferrari divers that are concerned with gas mileage or running costs.

B.
New Ferraris come with a free 7 year warranty.

And to who ever said M6>NSX .. You clearly have not driven a M6. It is one of the most uncomfortable cars I've ever driven and I'm not talking about stiffness. M5>M6 and that's coming from someone who isn't a huge fan of sedans.
      12-21-2015, 12:43 PM   #56
fcman
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzaddict View Post

I don't think the NSX and the LFA are comparable at all. The LFA was a perfect car, perhaps a bit clinical and definitely expensive, but perfect. I think in 10-20 years you will see LFAs selling for astronomical prices, because at that point the slight lack of performance wont matter and more buyers will be able to appreciate what that car really is, rather than the kind of people who just buy whatever the hot new 2000hp car is just so they can wave their dicks around.

I don't see that happening with the NSX, I think it will sell well for a year or two and as technology moves on it will be worthless. But really I don't see a problem with that. I think it's priced right, I think it's an interesting choice. Are people forgetting that the i8 is nearly the same price but is far less capable? And that is selling very well for what it is.

And the GTR pricing? People are spending well over $200k for the Nismos, so I think $150k for the higher quality but slower Acura is reasonable.
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2015, 02:12 PM   #57
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai 302 View Post
The LFA had one of the best sounding, most responsive and unique engines on the market, with styling to match.

The NSX has a 3.5L V6. V6's (with or without turbos) can be found in millions of cars all over the world. There's nothing special about a V6 at all.

Comparing the two is literally like comparing a 458 to a Z06 (Brand value notwithstanding). The NSX should have been priced against cars like the GTR or Viper ACR IMO, not in Ferrari/McLaren/Lambo territory.
Thats a bit simplistic, don't you think? The original NSX used a V6 and was quite special. Even the new Ford GT is using their race proven V6.

There was nothing wrong with a V6 and there is still nothing wrong with a V6.
      12-21-2015, 03:14 PM   #58
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai 302 View Post
The LFA had one of the best sounding, most responsive and unique engines on the market, with styling to match.

The NSX has a 3.5L V6. V6's (with or without turbos) can be found in millions of cars all over the world. There's nothing special about a V6 at all.

Comparing the two is literally like comparing a 458 to a Z06 (Brand value notwithstanding). The NSX should have been priced against cars like the GTR or Viper ACR IMO, not in Ferrari/McLaren/Lambo territory.
Thats a bit simplistic, don't you think? The original NSX used a V6 and was quite special. Even the new Ford GT is using their race proven V6.

There was nothing wrong with a V6 and there is still nothing wrong with a V6.
Nothing wrong with a V6, but a horrible mess dynamically, requiring balance shafts and other goofiness to try to balance them. They're used for packaging efficiency, like the first NSX which had it mounted transversely. Intentionally using one when you don't need to, like in this NSX which they changed to a longitudinal motor to fit the turbos at the last second, just seems like desperation.

The GT(40) would be so much cooler if it used the GT350 flat plane V8.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 03:24 PM   #59
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

Yeah, not a fan of using a V6 in six-figure applications. Especially when we're talking 300-400K, like the new GT.

I also agree on the LF-A. I think in the future, they will have insane values. There's really nothing else like it, they received great fanfare with automotive press, and they're rare.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 06:06 PM   #60
BiscottiGelato
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135i M Sport 6MT

I still remember the days when I was in high school drooling over Type Rs and Best Motoring videos. Nostalgic! The Japs used to dominate the affordable sporty car market. Was hoping the FRS/BRZ will revive that segment.

NSX price-wise, I don't think it's that high. It's inline with estimates, isn't it? NSX always been priced against the 911 Turbo? 150k USD sounds like the right price. NSX has never been an affordable Japanese sports car.

I guess what's going to make or break the NSX is what kind of lap times it'll put down. NSX has always been the highest priced Japanese vehicle, but also one of the fastest, if not the absolute fastest Japanese sports car. The weight, HP, price all doesn't matter until we have a sneak peak into how it drives and how fast it is around the track. If it can somehow defy physics with it's hybrid drive-train wizardry, while still maintain driving enjoyment above that given by the GTR, and give a sub 7 minutes Nurburgring lap time, I think it can still be the legend it once was and deserve of it's price tag.
      12-21-2015, 06:37 PM   #61
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

I guess I'm in the minority, but I like it and the price seems about right. It will be much more unique than even an AMG GT. Should go like a rocket and I really like the styling. The Acura badge is a nonissue in my mind. It'll hold up as long as the car delivers dynamically on the test drives. Someone earlier mentioned the LFA and high pricing. Just remember those completely sold out before the last one was built. The car wasn't the best performer, but would still cause heads to turn today just because of how few of them were made.

The NSX is a bargain version of the P1, LaFerrari, and 918.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 07:01 PM   #62
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
I am not a fan of the new NSX.

I love the old one so much I don't know why Acura did this to the new one. If you're paying for that much for a super car, why not just buy something that is true and tested instead?

All super cars turn heads, I'd rather roll in a Lambo or Ferrari
      12-21-2015, 07:01 PM   #63
jkrig
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07' e90 335i (SGM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRib View Post
I guess I'm in the minority, but I like it and the price seems about right. It will be much more unique than even an AMG GT. Should go like a rocket and I really like the styling. The Acura badge is a nonissue in my mind. It'll hold up as long as the car delivers dynamically on the test drives. Someone earlier mentioned the LFA and high pricing. Just remember those completely sold out before the last one was built. The car wasn't the best performer, but would still cause heads to turn today just because of how few of them were made.

I'm there with you....the web has set a blaze with folks complaining about the price and we don't even have any hard numbers on the car yet (Acura reports a 0-60 in 3.0 sec, that's on par with everything in the price range) ....As of right now we only have subjective first drive/look reviews based on near production cars....and just because Japanese halo cars rarely climb into this price bracket doesn't mean they aren't worth every penny. I like the way it looks so I will wait for full performance reviews on a production piece before I pass judgement.
      12-21-2015, 07:12 PM   #64
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:

It depends on how you look at it.

If you're shopping for a super car, usually the first brands that come to mind happen to be Lambo, Ferrari, McLaren or Porsche. They are true and tested cars that can back up all there years of production.

Acura's NSX on the other hand have been missing for 14 years and you have to take the leap on it and hope it lives up to the old NSX that everyone loved. (And so far with reviewers saying it's missing "it") What would you do? Leap of faith or the more beloved brands that can back up their cars?

Like I said, a super car is a super car. It will turn heads, most people on the road won't car really what brand it is. Just Lambo, Ferrari, Porsche and McLaren are more obvious and known.
      12-21-2015, 07:25 PM   #65
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades
Quote:

It depends on how you look at it.

If you're shopping for a super car, usually the first brands that come to mind happen to be Lambo, Ferrari, McLaren or Porsche. They are true and tested cars that can back up all there years of production.

Acura's NSX on the other hand have been missing for 14 years and you have to take the leap on it and hope it lives up to the old NSX that everyone loved. (And so far with reviewers saying it's missing "it") What would you do? Leap of faith or the more beloved brands that can back up their cars?
If I could afford cars like this it wouldn't matter if I was taking a leap of faith. If you don't like it, you sell it and move on. People who buy these cars have more than 1. Maybe the first time supercar buyer goes for a blue blood like Ferrari, but there are plenty who have been there done that and want something a little different. Other than the 918, Porsche doesn't have anything like this.
I don't think anyone has reviewed a production version, so we'll see.
I predict they sell out. I also don't think they will make it indefinitely. Maybe a 5 year run.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 08:59 PM   #66
rcoccultwar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 8/15 M2

Thanks and credit to Artemis for the above images.

Sometimes prestige of an automotive brand changes over a long period of time. Case example?

It is estimated that since 1988 inflation has turned the value of the dollar 1/2 to today.

The Porsche 911 Turbo in 1987 could be described as 100K today then. Expect to pay 150K+ in a couple weeks if you visit the Porsche dealership the day after a night at the Disco Ball. It would appear Porsche has more prestige today than in 1987.

The BMW badge on the hood also has increased in prestige in the last few decades, and you can really read it. In the 80's, a Mercedes was way more expensive than BMW. 5 or 6 years ago?, a few BMW/Mercedes comparisons would indicate BMW eclipsed price-wise.

$150K for a 2017 NSX is not unreasonable.
Appreciate 0