BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Just to Bring up The Vette One More Time

12-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #89
YellowMellow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91, E93, E46, 9974CS, 997TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
I'm not justifying how cool the C7 is with you. What I can't stand is bashing a car for ridiculous things like the average age snip you made or keep on putting air vents in quotes which implies them not being functional which they are.

BMW drivers have the perception of being jerks, ass****,etc but that is not going to keep me from buying one if the car itself meets all of my needs and wants.

Buy a car because it meets your needs. Not because of BS like average age, how the drivers are perceived to be, etc.

If you loved everything about the C7 lets say, you really not going to buy it because the average age is 55? What if the average age of BMW drivers were 55? Or Porsche? Is that really going to keep you from buying it?
Please read this entire thread...someone else stated the average age of Corvette buyers and I was just reciting it as a joke.

If you look at the cars I've own in the past and current, I don't care what people think of brand reputation (BMW, Porsches, Audi, Chevy, Lotus, Mazda, Honda, Toyota, etc)

With that said, I will probably end up owning a Corvette when I'm 50+ years old
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 03:44 PM   #90
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
Thank you for clarifying!

Man, I wish Porsche would've put more air vents in my 997.1TT and 997.2C4S - Who would've known that a late model 911 design is so inefficient design

I wonder if my wife's '11 M3 vert is inefficient in cooling as well Damn you BMW! Why can't you be like Chevy!
Why are you acting so immature?

Its very hard to have an intelligent and civil conservation when you are acting like that.
Best not to provoke him. You're just going to get replies that are saturated with passive aggressive sarcasm.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 06:41 PM   #91
YellowMellow
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post
Best not to provoke him. You're just going to get replies that are saturated with passive aggressive sarcasm.
Gesus... Don't get your panties in a knot because I have an opinion.

Will it make both of you feel better if I remove my previous comments and said... "the new Corvette's 4 tailpipes are awesome and the air vents on every body panel is super cool. I can't wait to get one."

Last edited by YellowMellow; 12-27-2013 at 06:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 10:37 PM   #92
majin ssj eric
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Sedan

Lol, if the worst thing that can be said about the new Vette is that it has functional air vents and older buyers then I'd say GM did a pretty damn good job with it!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 10:57 PM   #93
YellowMellow
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric View Post
Lol, if the worst thing that can be said about the new Vette is that it has functional air vents and older buyers then I'd say GM did a pretty damn good job with it!
+1. Exactly my point to the other guys! GM did a pretty good job with the C7. The tailpipes and air vents are trivial compared to the monumental achievement with what they did with the new Corvette.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 06:38 AM   #94
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

I guess you must dislike the Ferrari, Pagani, Lamborghini and many other hardcore performance machines because they have too many air vents.

As far as BMW is concerned they also had hood vents on E92 M3 vs a regular 3 series. Also when you step up to a Porsche 911 turbo S instead of regular lower level 911's you will find they have more air vents all around, as well as diffusers, for better cooling and aerodynamics, as well as huge spoilers.

As for tailpipes on a C7, they provide aggressive character instead of same old blah tail pipe design. The 4 tailpipes on a Pagani look awesome, the ones on C7 look even better in non stacked version. It is like 4 bazookas pointing back firing and sounding off a nice V8 soundtrack. To me the C7 just made a regular Porsche 911 much less desirable in my opinion. One can't even blame the C7 the in house Cayman S makes the regular Porsche 911 a waste of money.

Quote:
Calm down man, it's a f* BMW forum where people are allowed to speak their minds. Just as your justifying how cool the C7 is, I'm saying I like the C7 but there are things that I don't like about it.

I think the C7 is a great car for the money/performance. I just think it looks tacky with the 4 exhaust pipes and all the "air vents". But you don't care right? You're sold on the C7, which is great!

I wish BMW and Porsche's had more "air vents" in their cars.
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.

Last edited by Kayani_1; 01-03-2014 at 06:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 09:57 AM   #95
YellowMellow
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
I guess you must dislike the Ferrari, Pagani, Lamborghini and many other hardcore performance machines because they have too many air vents.

As far as BMW is concerned they also had hood vents on E92 M3 vs a regular 3 series. Also when you step up to a Porsche 911 turbo S instead of regular lower level 911's you will find they have more air vents all around, as well as diffusers, for better cooling and aerodynamics, as well as huge spoilers.

As for tailpipes on a C7, they provide aggressive character instead of same old blah tail pipe design. The 4 tailpipes on a Pagani look awesome, the ones on C7 look even better in non stacked version. It is like 4 bazookas pointing back firing and sounding off a nice V8 soundtrack. To me the C7 just made a regular Porsche 911 much less desirable in my opinion. One can't even blame the C7 the in house Cayman S makes the regular Porsche 911 a waste of money.

Calm down Kayani_west bro, you seem to take it so personal man! Like I stated before, the new C7 is a very nice sports car. But the styling for me, is a bit gimmicky. I applaud what GM has done to up the ante on their design and quality, which reflects their newest models including Cadillac (which by the way CTS/ATS beats BMW's 3/5 series in head to head comparisons).

I'm actually not a fan of the new Turbo/TurboS. I prefer the C4S/GT3 in terms of styling.
With regards to Ferrari, Pagani, Lamborghini ... I'll take Ferrari styling as I've owned a 360 several years ago. I can't comment on Pagani and Lamborghini.

With that said, another fellow member said it best...

"I love my 997 but the new GM C7 IMHO is 90%+ as strong as the Porsche for about 60% of the $. The C7 can stand side by side with the 911 and not be out of its league. It's a great looking car outside and inside. I agree it has lots of scoops and openings but at least they're functional. Few here criticize Ferrari when they do the same!

Many here have expressed lots of negative stereotypes on GM vehicles and in many cases its been fact based. I sense however that GM has changed and the Vette, ATS, and CTS are the examples of that.

I'm not a GM owner and in fact drive 2 Porsche's and a BMW. But you've got to admire some of the vehicles GM is putting out, with great driving dynamics and $ value. Kudos to GM. And proud that an American company can make world class cars. Nothing to hate about that."
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 09:58 AM   #96
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B View Post
Nope, wasn't comparing M6 vs Corvette. I was commenting on the Corvette's own merits, as I see them. Again, this is just my opinion.

To me, specific output is a great way to put engineering prowess on display. 74bhp in 2013 sucks any way you slice it.

cheers, happy thanksgiving.
well, specific output per liter means absolutely nothing in terms of actual performance

the ls motors are extremely light, extremely powerful, and very efficient.

I guess the only problem is not being able to impress your e-bro's with cool stats like specific output per liter. but then again, you can buy a 2000 civic si and have 100 hp per liter!
      01-03-2014, 10:07 AM   #97
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
well, specific output per liter means absolutely nothing in terms of actual performance

the ls motors are extremely light, extremely powerful, and very efficient.

I guess the only problem is not being able to impress your e-bro's with cool stats like specific output per liter. but then again, you can buy a 2000 civic si and have 100 hp per liter!
Apologies. The next time I'm forming a personal opinion on something, I'll run it by you first for approval.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 10:11 AM   #98
YellowMellow
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B View Post
Apologies. The next time I'm forming a personal opinion on something, I'll run it by you first for approval.
+1.
Not sure why guys are so wrapped around the axle on people's opinion.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 11:13 AM   #99
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

Quote:
+1.
Not sure why guys are so wrapped around the axle on people's opinion.
Probably because people are tired of fanboys coming into threads about non-Euro cars and instead of actually getting into serious discussions, they throw out asshat fanboy comments like:

"Lexus is a never was."
"One word for Lexus, FUGLY!"
"Corvettes are for bald 55 year olds."
"It's just a Chevy."
"The BRZ is a cool car but it has pizza cutter tires and a cayman would smoke it."

etc

So when you come into a thread about the Corvette and your first comment is "the vette has tacky vents and tail pipes blah blah", it rings of asshat fanboyism. Not saying you are an asshat fanboy mind you, but the way your comments were constructed reminded some of us of those asshat types.

That's probably where the aggression from some posters comes from. Many, myself included, are tired of of it. It adds nothing to the discussion, it starts pointless arguments, and it's borderline trolling and ruins many good threads.

In the end, remember, it's not personal, relax, it's just the internet. Also don't be an asshat. How do you know if you are? If you have to ask, you probably are acting like an asshat.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 12:42 PM   #100
YellowMellow
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
Probably because people are tired of fanboys coming into threads about non-Euro cars and instead of actually getting into serious discussions, they throw out asshat fanboy comments like:

"Lexus is a never was."
"One word for Lexus, FUGLY!"
"Corvettes are for bald 55 year olds."
"It's just a Chevy."
"The BRZ is a cool car but it has pizza cutter tires and a cayman would smoke it."

etc

So when you come into a thread about the Corvette and your first comment is "the vette has tacky vents and tail pipes blah blah", it rings of asshat fanboyism. Not saying you are an asshat fanboy mind you, but the way your comments were constructed reminded some of us of those asshat types.

That's probably where the aggression from some posters comes from. Many, myself included, are tired of of it. It adds nothing to the discussion, it starts pointless arguments, and it's borderline trolling and ruins many good threads.

In the end, remember, it's not personal, relax, it's just the internet. Also don't be an asshat. How do you know if you are? If you have to ask, you probably are acting like an asshat.
Good and fair points.

So besides talking about the C7 performance potentials/numbers, what else should people talk about so its, "actually getting into serious discussions"

Exterior/interior design is off limits?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 01:08 PM   #101
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good and fair points.

So besides talking about the C7 performance potentials/numbers, what else should people talk about so its, "actually getting into serious discussions"

Aesthetics is always a great topic to discuss but as with anything it depends on the approach. If you approach it like a 12 year old who just got home from school and is letting off some rage from having to do math homework, for example:

"Chevys are all full of plastic, the same plastic they make kid's sand toys from. You know you're driving a chevy when you're inside one."

Then why even comment? Everyone is going to instantly identify that comment as coming from an asshat.

But constructive and mature comments about design? Man, I'd love to see those personally.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 01:09 PM   #102
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Backing up opinions with C&C and valid reasoning is a good way to have an intelligent conversation and/or debate. Telling people to calm down (as if that's ever actually helped) and throwing out snubs is not a good way to go about it.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 01:10 PM   #103
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist
Quote:
Good and fair points.

Aesthetics is always a great topic to discuss but as with anything it depends on the approach. If you approach it like a 12 year old who just got home from school and is letting off some rage from having to do math homework, for example:

"Chevys are all full of plastic, the same plastic they make kid's sand toys from. You know you're driving a chevy when you're inside one."

Then why even comment? Everyone is going to instantly identify that comment as coming from an asshat.

But constructive and mature comments about design? Man, I'd love to see those personally.
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 01:25 PM   #104
YellowMellow
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post

For whatever its worth, I reread the entire thread and looks like for the most part people are pretty good with feedback. I can't speak for the other folks who may not like the C7 but my comments about the air vents and tailpipes is my own personal opinion on the C7 aesthetic. Anyways, I'm done justifying my feedback.

Lets get back to the original thread discussion
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 01:50 PM   #105
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

This reminded me of this forum.
Not all the time..but enough.
Don't think too hard about it. Lol

http://beta.thescore.com/news/398397

Last edited by gonzo; 01-05-2014 at 06:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 04:31 PM   #106
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I am calm down mark12345 bro, I am not so sure why you felt the urge to calm me down, I was not attacking you. I was just merely responding to your statement. I think maybe you are a bit apprehensive now as many disagreed with you. Trust me I am calm down mark12345. I am perfectly OK with whatever you like or dislike. I was merely pointing that C7 is designed based on what was learned at the race track and looks aggressive in a good way. I will take a car that has functional vents, scoops, diffusers, to improve efficiency, cooling, and performance a la Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche 911 turbo S/918 super car, and Pagani etc..., over a car that was just made bland in name of being less offensive to people that desire sedated looks at the expense of performance.

If you like C7 or not it would make no personal difference to me. So you do not have to justify yourself to me. It was just a mere response to your statement and an attempt to discuss merits of aesthetics based on functionality. Take care and enjoy your Porsche and BMW in best of health.

Quote:
Calm down Kayani_west bro, you seem to take it so personal man! Like I stated before, the new C7 is a very nice sports car. But the styling for me, is a bit gimmicky. I applaud what GM has done to up the ante on their design and quality, which reflects their newest models including Cadillac (which by the way CTS/ATS beats BMW's 3/5 series in head to head comparisons).

I'm actually not a fan of the new Turbo/TurboS. I prefer the C4S/GT3 in terms of styling.
With regards to Ferrari, Pagani, Lamborghini ... I'll take Ferrari styling as I've owned a 360 several years ago. I can't comment on Pagani and Lamborghini.

With that said, another fellow member said it best...

"I love my 997 but the new GM C7 IMHO is 90%+ as strong as the Porsche for about 60% of the $. The C7 can stand side by side with the 911 and not be out of its league. It's a great looking car outside and inside. I agree it has lots of scoops and openings but at least they're functional. Few here criticize Ferrari when they do the same!

Many here have expressed lots of negative stereotypes on GM vehicles and in many cases its been fact based. I sense however that GM has changed and the Vette, ATS, and CTS are the examples of that.

I'm not a GM owner and in fact drive 2 Porsche's and a BMW. But you've got to admire some of the vehicles GM is putting out, with great driving dynamics and $ value. Kudos to GM. And proud that an American company can make world class cars. Nothing to hate about that."
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.

Last edited by Kayani_1; 01-03-2014 at 04:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 06:46 PM   #107
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep

Quote:
For whatever its worth, I reread the entire thread and looks like for the most part people are pretty good with feedback. I can't speak for the other folks who may not like the C7 but my comments about the air vents and tailpipes is my own personal opinion on the C7 aesthetic. Anyways, I'm done justifying my feedback.

Lets get back to the original thread discussion
See? That wasn't so hard. You did great man. You did great.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 09:56 PM   #108
majin ssj eric
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Sedan

I personally can't wait for Top Gear to test this Corvette! I'm sure Jeremy will still be brutal about some things but I bet he likes it...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 02:24 AM   #109
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Well I saw Chris Harris review usually he does a pretty good job but it left me wondering if the European media has some severe bias against the Vette. In Chris Harris video he found the C7 to be a huge improvement over C6. But that is given and nothing new. He claimed the C7 given to him was not the right kind it was one without the Z51 pkg so he will like to test the proper one. However, I got mixed signals from his review and it left me wanting more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric View Post
I personally can't wait for Top Gear to test this Corvette! I'm sure Jeremy will still be brutal about some things but I bet he likes it...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 11:10 PM   #110
BavarianN54
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135i

Here's the new C7.R. Expect it to take the baton from the C6.R and hit the deck running collecting checkered flags. Corvette will let the winners circle apperances decide.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/12/12/c...race-rolex-24/
Appreciate 0