BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Digital Key

11-05-2019, 10:16 AM   #1
BarrowJon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Digital Key

Have a Samsung Galaxy S7, Android version 8.0.0, with Sprint as service provider. Have a registered digital key, but when trying to install on my phone using the Connected Drive app, it errors out. Anyone else have this issue and found a solution. Have not been able to get anywhere with BMW Genius. They would update me once a week letting me know they were addressing and had escalated the issue. But now have not heard back from them for over a month and half, guess they gave up.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 04:55 PM   #2
Kpoggi
Rep
Drives: BMWz4

Ok. I’m new to all this tech stuff. Can someone please explain to me why I need the key card
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 09:37 AM   #3
BarrowJon
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpoggi View Post
Ok. Iím new to all this tech stuff. Can someone please explain to me why I need the key card
In addition to your remote key, you have two other sources available for operating your vehicle. First is the "card key," a credit card device you can carry in your wallet to unlock, start, and lock your car should you misplace your remote or suddenly learn that the battery has died in your remote key. The second is the "digital key," which is a feature included the BMW Connected phone app that allows you to use your phone to unlock, start, and lock your car. You can also allow others to install the digital key on their respective smart phones so that they may operate your car without having to have access to your remote key.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 06:35 PM   #4
PrionFawkes
Private
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4 M40i (2020)

You have to go into a BMW dealer to complete the setup. It even describes that step in the App when setting up the digital key on your phone.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:40 AM   #5
BarrowJon
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrionFawkes View Post
You have to go into a BMW dealer to complete the setup. It even describes that step in the App when setting up the digital key on your phone.
My dealer did register a digital key for me and the first step was successfully completed on my phone showing that a key has been registered. When executing the second step to install the key it fails with an "installation error" message. Have tried with and without phone on Wi-Fi charging pad and get same error. BMW Genius, Dealer, and Connected Drive Customer Service have been no help. Are you using the digital key, what am I missing? What phone are you using and who is your service provider?
Appreciate 0