BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Front Tow Hook - License Plate Options

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-07-2019, 02:54 PM   #1
DesertGuy
New Member
DesertGuy's Avatar
12
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW Z4 M40i
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Coachella Valley CA

iTrader: (0)

Front Tow Hook - License Plate Options

New 2020 Z4 M40i owner. Searched for info . . . nothing found directly on topic.

The Owners Manual gives the strong impression that there is a front bumper tow hook. There is even a picture with a highlighted area showing where the tow hook (cover) location is (or supposed to be).

Problem is, I'll be darned if I can find anything that matches what the the Manual picture is showing! I even tried looking for a "secret" compartment in the grill areas and no luck.

So -

1. Is there a front tow hook? Where can I find it?
2. Stop looking there is no front tow hook!
3. What options have others found for front license plate holder mount?

Since my wife will sometimes be driving the Z4 she insists a plate be mounted (CA). I have a U.S. Millworks tow hook mount unit for my 2011 M3 E92 and was hoping I could do the same with the Z4 but ?????

Really don't want to drill holes unless a very last resort.

And please, no one recommend that I divorce my wife and remarry someone more open to leaving the front license plate off. Not an option

Thanks!
__________________
Desert Guy
Coachella Valley CA

2020 Z4 M40i "Storm Trooper"
Alpine White, Black Leather, Black Interior Trim,
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 09:34 PM   #2
7bimmers
New Member
3
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW Z4 M40i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertGuy View Post
New 2020 Z4 M40i owner. Searched for info . . . nothing found directly on topic.

The Owners Manual gives the strong impression that there is a front bumper tow hook. There is even a picture with a highlighted area showing where the tow hook (cover) location is (or supposed to be).

Problem is, I'll be darned if I can find anything that matches what the the Manual picture is showing! I even tried looking for a "secret" compartment in the grill areas and no luck.

So -

1. Is there a front tow hook? Where can I find it?
2. Stop looking there is no front tow hook!
3. What options have others found for front license plate holder mount?

Since my wife will sometimes be driving the Z4 she insists a plate be mounted (CA). I have a U.S. Millworks tow hook mount unit for my 2011 M3 E92 and was hoping I could do the same with the Z4 but ?????

Really don't want to drill holes unless a very last resort.

And please, no one recommend that I divorce my wife and remarry someone more open to leaving the front license plate off. Not an option

Thanks!
Tow hook is behind a small cover plate on the front bumper passenger side. Look for a small section that can easily be removed by hand with no tools.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 10:28 PM   #3
-cj-
Lieutenant
Canada
37
Rep
488
Posts

Drives: '11 1M | '18 M3 | '20 Z4
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (2)

Let me know if your US Millworks tow-hook plate works! I'm going through a similar scenario, except it hasn't gotten to divorce yet
__________________
Current: '11 1M Coupe MT | '18 M3 Ultimate DCT 20" R101LW | '20 Z4 M40
Past: 09 M3 Coupe DCT (Sold) | 15 i3 REX (returned) | 16 M235xi Vert (Returned)
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 01:05 AM   #4
DesertGuy
New Member
DesertGuy's Avatar
12
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW Z4 M40i
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Coachella Valley CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7bimmers View Post
Tow hook is behind a small cover plate on the front bumper passenger side. Look for a small section that can easily be removed by hand with no tools.
Dear 7bimmers:

Thanks for your response. The manual picture you provided is the picture I was referring to. Apparently, I have been lead to believe that the manual is a bit out of date and is potentially illustrating a 2016 model. I found a photo of a 2016 model and the expected cover plate IS shown in this exact location.

I have attached a photo from a new owners posting (2020 G92) which shows the exact same image of the front of my G92 . . . and I will be darned if I can see a location on this photo as well as on my car for a (removable) tow hook plate as illustrated in the manual (just to left of sensor).

On my car there is some "scoring" (line cut) of the black plastic left grill piece just below and to the left of the shown sensor. Such scoring is not present on the right hand side of the bumper. There doesn't seem to be an obvious reason for this scoring and I can find no release type latch that allows for the removal this scored piece of grill.

I am going to swing by the dealership tomorrow and check with my service tech and see if a tow hook even exists on the most current bumper fabrication. I just thought front and rear tow hooks were basic needs (requirements?).

Thanks for your help though.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Desert Guy
Coachella Valley CA

2020 Z4 M40i "Storm Trooper"
Alpine White, Black Leather, Black Interior Trim,
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 02:01 AM   #5
-cj-
Lieutenant
Canada
37
Rep
488
Posts

Drives: '11 1M | '18 M3 | '20 Z4
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (2)

[QUOTE=DesertGuy;25228584]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7bimmers View Post
I am going to swing by the dealership tomorrow and check with my service tech and see if a tow hook even exists on the most current bumper fabrication. I just thought front and rear tow hooks were basic needs (requirements?).

Thanks for your help though.
My bumper also does not match the referenced manual figure. However, I'm GUESSING it might be behind this little cover? Haven't tried to remove it. To be honest, looking at the bumper, I'm starting to think this might be one of those cars that might look better with the OEM placement...
Attached Images
 
__________________
Current: '11 1M Coupe MT | '18 M3 Ultimate DCT 20" R101LW | '20 Z4 M40
Past: 09 M3 Coupe DCT (Sold) | 15 i3 REX (returned) | 16 M235xi Vert (Returned)
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 08:15 AM   #6
7bimmers
New Member
3
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW Z4 M40i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Pull top part forward. I just got my fingernail behind it and it pops right off. Then push the bottom of the cover inward and lift straight up. Comes right off. By the way, I just got back from a 500 mile road trip yesterday and haven't had a chance to wash it yet. That's why the dirt and bug guts. Bugs at night in Michigan are brutal.
Attached Images
     
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 11:18 AM   #7
DesertGuy
New Member
DesertGuy's Avatar
12
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW Z4 M40i
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Coachella Valley CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7bimmers View Post
Pull top part forward. I just got my fingernail behind it and it pops right off. Then push the bottom of the cover inward and lift straight up. Comes right off. By the way, I just got back from a 500 mile road trip yesterday and haven't had a chance to wash it yet. That's why the dirt and bug guts. Bugs at night in Michigan are brutal.
Well . . . I'll be d****d!

The scored section WAS the "secret compartment"!

7bimmers . . . THANK YOU so much for your valuable assistance.

I'll let everyone know how the U.S. Millworks license frame works. Hope it won't interfere with the sensor!

Thanks again 7bimmers.
__________________
Desert Guy
Coachella Valley CA

2020 Z4 M40i "Storm Trooper"
Alpine White, Black Leather, Black Interior Trim,
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 04:29 PM   #8
auditorycanvas
New Member
11
Rep
22
Posts

Drives: BMW Z4 (2019)
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertGuy View Post
Well . . . I'll be d****d!

The scored section WAS the "secret compartment"!

7bimmers . . . THANK YOU so much for your valuable assistance.

I'll let everyone know how the U.S. Millworks license frame works. Hope it won't interfere with the sensor!

Thanks again 7bimmers.
I think the manual shows the normal bumper, not the M pack one.
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2019, 06:07 PM   #9
DesertGuy
New Member
DesertGuy's Avatar
12
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW Z4 M40i
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Coachella Valley CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by auditorycanvas View Post
I think the manual shows the normal bumper, not the M pack one.
LOL!

Yep . . . just a little too logical.

Thanks again to all who helped me with this question!
__________________
Desert Guy
Coachella Valley CA

2020 Z4 M40i "Storm Trooper"
Alpine White, Black Leather, Black Interior Trim,
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 07:36 PM   #10
7bimmers
New Member
3
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW Z4 M40i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertguy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7bimmers View Post
pull top part forward. I just got my fingernail behind it and it pops right off. Then push the bottom of the cover inward and lift straight up. Comes right off. By the way, i just got back from a 500 mile road trip yesterday and haven't had a chance to wash it yet. That's why the dirt and bug guts. Bugs at night in michigan are brutal.
well . . . I'll be d****d!

The scored section was the "secret compartment"!

7bimmers . . . thank you so much for your valuable assistance.

I'll let everyone know how the u.s. Millworks license frame works. Hope it won't interfere with the sensor!

Thanks again 7bimmers.
👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 12:05 PM   #11
DPelletier
Second Lieutenant
Canada
209
Rep
202
Posts

Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Kelowna, B.C. Canada

iTrader: (0)

too bad I was away this weekend and missed this thread. Yes, obviously you've found it and yes, the illustration in the book is off because the M pack bumper/facia is different.

I'd love to hear if you found something that works; I refuse to drill through the front to mount the licence plate holder. I had to put the plate on to cross the border this weekend so I ended up putting foam tape on the back of the plate and zap-strapping it to the bumper through the grill.....temporarily, of course.

I have a unit (US Millworks sounds familiar) that I bought for my Mercedes but the threads are different.

Cheers,
Dave
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 01:52 PM   #12
str86diesel
Private First Class
United_States
19
Rep
137
Posts

Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i Alpine White
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

I used one of these on my last car (340xi) and it worked great

http://www.usmillworks.com
__________________
2020 Z4 M40i - Alpine White
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 03:09 PM   #13
SakhirM4
Major General
SakhirM4's Avatar
United_States
9479
Rep
8,490
Posts

Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i (coming)
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [4.38]
This is what I have used for many years. I hate the offset look of the tow hook mount - drives my OCD nuts.

https://skenebrackets.com/

__________________
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
2015 ///M4, SO/full black, 6MT, HK, light 19"
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 03:57 PM   #14
DPelletier
Second Lieutenant
Canada
209
Rep
202
Posts

Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Kelowna, B.C. Canada

iTrader: (0)

I had the Sto-N-Sho for my Jag but they don't list one for the G29 https://bigmikesperformanceparts.com...-plate-bracket

Too bad because it's centered, doesn't touch the body and is removable with one little pin.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 06:53 PM   #15
Tedbay
Private
41
Rep
87
Posts

Drives: 07 Z4MCoupe sold, 00HondaS2000
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: San Ramon, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertGuy View Post
New 2020 Z4 M40i owner. Searched for info . . . nothing found directly on topic.

The Owners Manual gives the strong impression that there is a front bumper tow hook. There is even a picture with a highlighted area showing where the tow hook (cover) location is (or supposed to be).

Problem is, I'll be darned if I can find anything that matches what the the Manual picture is showing! I even tried looking for a "secret" compartment in the grill areas and no luck.

So -

1. Is there a front tow hook? Where can I find it?
2. Stop looking there is no front tow hook!
3. What options have others found for front license plate holder mount?

Since my wife will sometimes be driving the Z4 she insists a plate be mounted (CA). I have a U.S. Millworks tow hook mount unit for my 2011 M3 E92 and was hoping I could do the same with the Z4 but ?????

Really don't want to drill holes unless a very last resort.

And please, no one recommend that I divorce my wife and remarry someone more open to leaving the front license plate off. Not an option

Thanks!
not that my experience in Norcal will be representative but I have NEVER mounted a front plate since moving to CA in the early 90s and never had an issue or ticket. Other cars in the family have the front plate but I have never been able to bring myself to put one on my 2 door manuals over the years. But your cops down south might be meaner! recommend you try no plate!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 10:35 PM   #16
German1967
Lieutenant
German1967's Avatar
United_States
212
Rep
521
Posts

Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2020 Z4 M40i
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (0)

11 years in Ohio... never a front plate ... never a ticket...
__________________
Hoc Lapidem Non Vi Sed Saepe Cadendo!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 12:39 AM   #17
DesertGuy
New Member
DesertGuy's Avatar
12
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW Z4 M40i
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Coachella Valley CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedbay View Post
not that my experience in Norcal will be representative but I have NEVER mounted a front plate since moving to CA in the early 90s and never had an issue or ticket. Other cars in the family have the front plate but I have never been able to bring myself to put one on my 2 door manuals over the years. But your cops down south might be meaner! recommend you try no plate!
Quote:
Originally Posted by German1967 View Post
11 years in Ohio... never a front plate ... never a ticket...
Hey guys . . . I appreciate the sentiments and the challenge to "go naked" but since the Z4 is going to be a shared vehicle (I will also be driving the 2011 M3 E92) it is not the cops I'm scared of but having to re-explain to my wife that her being stopped by a cop was actually a "Million-To-One" odds occurrence.

I would have to go into Witness Protection if my wife were stopped by a cop following my "well dear, this is what I would do" guidance.

LOL
__________________
Desert Guy
Coachella Valley CA

2020 Z4 M40i "Storm Trooper"
Alpine White, Black Leather, Black Interior Trim,
Appreciate 2
SakhirM49479.00

      09-14-2019, 02:48 PM   #18
-cj-
Lieutenant
Canada
37
Rep
488
Posts

Drives: '11 1M | '18 M3 | '20 Z4
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (2)

What tow hook are people running that is known to work? I have a US Millworks off my 235 and it seems a bit too short. It's the one without the quick release, but it's the part that screws in that seems to be too short. I think it needs to be 1.5-2" longer to clear the bumper. As it sits now, it's flush with the plastic trim inside the bumper cover.

Edit: is the owner of this car here?
Attached Images
 
__________________
Current: '11 1M Coupe MT | '18 M3 Ultimate DCT 20" R101LW | '20 Z4 M40
Past: 09 M3 Coupe DCT (Sold) | 15 i3 REX (returned) | 16 M235xi Vert (Returned)
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 06:07 PM   #19
7bimmers
New Member
3
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW Z4 M40i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Cravenspeed Platypus. Works like a charm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cra...9-2020-bmw-z4/
Appreciate 1
-cj-36.50

      09-15-2019, 12:02 AM   #20
DesertGuy
New Member
DesertGuy's Avatar
12
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW Z4 M40i
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Coachella Valley CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -cj- View Post
What tow hook are people running that is known to work? I have a US Millworks off my 235 and it seems a bit too short. It's the one without the quick release, but it's the part that screws in that seems to be too short. I think it needs to be 1.5-2" longer to clear the bumper. As it sits now, it's flush with the plastic trim inside the bumper cover.

Edit: is the owner of this car here?

Just installed today a CravenSpeed Platypus tow hook frame. They are advertising a specific 2020 BMW Z4 (M40i) configuration. Thought it worth a try!

https://www.cravenspeed.com/front-li...9-2020-bmw-z4/

EASY install and lots of clearance. I have since installed the plate (not showing in attached photos) . . . and NO sensor triggering

I contacted U.S. Millworks to advance recon their current model (I have one on my 2011 M3 E92) for the Z4 but never heard back so I went with the Platypus. Turned out to be a good choice.

CS Platypus quick release method is - for me - an easier method than USM. The Platypus provides a small wrench to slide back behind and loosen the bolt to the tow hook post. Just slide off and then slide back on. I always had trouble with the USM cotter pin quick release design (tight space and big fingers).

Turned out good!

Sorry - but I could not rotate the first image properly

#1 : front of car with license in lower left
#2 : top down perspective showing tow hook post projection (clearance)
Attached Images
  
__________________
Desert Guy
Coachella Valley CA

2020 Z4 M40i "Storm Trooper"
Alpine White, Black Leather, Black Interior Trim,

Last edited by DesertGuy; 09-15-2019 at 01:40 AM..
Appreciate 2
SakhirM49479.00
-cj-36.50

      09-15-2019, 01:24 AM   #21
-cj-
Lieutenant
Canada
37
Rep
488
Posts

Drives: '11 1M | '18 M3 | '20 Z4
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (2)

Thanks for the recommendation guys. I ordered the CravenSpeed Platypus tow plate as well. Fingers crossed the wife doesn't get a ticket in the meantime. I ran without a plate for a few weeks in my F80 and got a ticket on my third day lol. Cop pointed out that my bright blue car stood out like a sore thumb... she saw me a mile away and wasted no time!

I'm still on the fence with how the G29s look with a tow plate... this might be one of the few cars that looks better with an OEM plate... worth trying out first though!
__________________
Current: '11 1M Coupe MT | '18 M3 Ultimate DCT 20" R101LW | '20 Z4 M40
Past: 09 M3 Coupe DCT (Sold) | 15 i3 REX (returned) | 16 M235xi Vert (Returned)
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 11:27 AM   #22
-cj-
Lieutenant
Canada
37
Rep
488
Posts

Drives: '11 1M | '18 M3 | '20 Z4
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (2)

Finally installed the Platypus tow hook. It's high quality.. perhaps more so than the US Millworks plates I've used previously. I think it sticks out more than necessary from the bumper.. but it's on!
Attached Images
 
__________________
Current: '11 1M Coupe MT | '18 M3 Ultimate DCT 20" R101LW | '20 Z4 M40
Past: 09 M3 Coupe DCT (Sold) | 15 i3 REX (returned) | 16 M235xi Vert (Returned)
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:30 AM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST