BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Anyone ever experienced this? Crazy NJ state trooper story inside

08-23-2020, 02:38 PM   #67
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
My brother got pulled over for 106 in a 55 and only got a ticket, cop knocked it down low enough to where he didn't even have to go to court. So I believe the guy.
Just last year a local Sherriff's Deputy dropped a reckless driving ticket down to a $25 seat belt violation because of my pleasant demeanor, in Virginia. And he pulled me over for speeding about 10 months before that, and just 5 months prior to the seat belt ticket, he got me for not having my license while riding my scooter. So BFD.

Still don't believe a LEO on the East Coast would let someone off at 100 MPH. Sorry, just don't; MAYBE if a BJ is involved, but...

hey, it's the internet after all.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 03:40 PM   #68
Peterglen
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c 2019 M3cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
If you've not driven on the NJT, there are "inside" and "outside" lanes separated by concrete "New Jersey" barriers (or at least they were back in the 1990's - I've not driven on the Turnpike in 25+ years). The inside lanes are for cars-only. The outside lanes are for cars and commercial trucks.

Late 1990's... Coming back from NYC to Maryland. I'm in the inside lanes (car-only lanes) of the NJT. I'm keeping with traffic.

In the truck/car lanes (outside-lanes) there is a NJ State LEO keeping with traffic. Behind me is a Camaro carving traffic and passes me and the LEO. The LEO in the outside lanes starts pacing the Camaro that is in the inside lanes. The Turnpike lane dividers are set up with gaps to allow egress between the outside and inside lanes. The the Camaro passes one of these gaps in the barriers, the NJ LEO at speed (north of 70MPH) glides right through the gap in the barrier without slowing, gets behind the Camaro and lights him up and pulls him over. I'm now laughing my ass off. The best cop driving move I've ever seen. I decided after than to not speed on the NJT. Do not f' with the NJ State Police.

Those are tight too. That really must have been something to see!

Last edited by Peterglen; 08-23-2020 at 03:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 03:44 PM   #69
Peterglen
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kring View Post
This is NJ - that’s the state prescribed training and condoned practice for state troopers there - they illegally ticket, create dangerous situations and have the laws setup illegally & unconstitutional so you can’t even fight the bogus ticket. NJ state troopers tarnish the entire country’s police profession with their piss poor behavior, attitude and disgusting above-the-law practices.

I have been driving over 25 years throughout Northeast. I have ONE speeding ticket in 25 years. I got it at 3am in NJ driving on the highway in the right lane of a 2 lane highway. all by myself, not a car on the road. I was doing 60-65ish in cadillac. coming up from behind is a cop doing probably 120 mph and slams on his brakes next to me and dead stares me down through his passenger window, I look over a few times and smiled. he never payed attention to the road ahead of him, he was literally leaning over in the passenger seat staring me down. After the minute or two, he steps on his brakes, gets behind me then steps on the gas to the point where I swear he touched his front bumber to my rear bumper... so I sped up to get seperation - now I started to get scared as a young kid all alone on the highway at night with an aggressive cop intimidating me... he then began to swerve behind me and surge.. so I sped up a bit more... he did this f'ing with me for about 3 miles. at this point I was probably now doing 70mph ... he then flipped on his lights and pulled me over... I debated and was so close to not pulling over and getting to a public place but ended up pulling over as he broadcasted "Pull the F over" in a violently aggressive voice.

His was the biggest A-hole I ever spoke to, he insulted me and berated me - I just shut up and got my ticket fearful for way worse if I even opened my mouth.

I got out of there with 2 or 3 tickets, can't remember, but one was speeding 80mph which I never came close to, and one or two other technicals.

Being young naive and feeling I was in the right - I decided to fight the ticket - and that's when I discovered NJ has a fantastic law to prevent ticket fighting. When you go to court, if the cop doesn't show up in NJ to speak to the ticket, you get rescheduled (not dismissed). So of course he didn't show, then I have to come back in 2 months (200 mile trip)... I go the second time, he doesn't show again. the judge rules to reschedule - when I was getting my 3rd date the court clerk says "You know this will never end right? how about you pay double the fine in cash right now and we'll settle it, no points"

I paid and got the hell out of NJ - and never drove through NJ again, always went NY route to PA and beyond.

there's a reason NJ is the armpit of the northeast.

Sidebar to the story - that drive I was returning from taking a PA state trooper police exam, that was my chosen profession - after this whole incident I gave up and said if that's the police life, I want no part of it... Cut bait on 2 years of law enforcement education and training and switched professions.

I'd met a lot of people and friends with similar NJ trooper stories... this is a well known practice. NY along RT-17 from middletown to binghamton has a similar history and is known as the highest revenue generating stretch of road in the country (according to law enforcement records) but it's gotten better the past decade.
Another major positive in my situation is everything is being done via zoom. So no trip or BS from the cop. Still really hoping it gets dropped somehow but even if I have to go to virtual court... still better then driving to that shithole township.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 03:49 PM   #70
Peterglen
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, don't believe you. Sorry.
I’ve actually been let off twice doing over 100mph in 70mph zones in NC and GA.

Both times I had really cool Officer. Pacing and not radar. Unmarked drug enforcement cops. And one of the times the guy even gave me his info and we ended up meeting at a range day for military and police. Still chat with him every once and a while to this day.
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2020, 03:52 PM   #71
Peterglen
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post
I believe NJ is one of the most lenient states in the country for exceeding the speed limit. You can drive right past a Trooper doing 80 in a 65 and you're usually fine. Set your cruise control to 75 in a 65 and you'll NEVER get pulled over by a NJ State Trooper. You can drive right past them.
Right... which is why I maintained my speed at 75 and didn’t lie about it. Usually they won’t bother you unless you’re doing over 80 and even then it’s been my experience that unless you’re weaving or something they just keep it moving.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 03:58 PM   #72
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
I have actually been let go several times for speeding well of 100mph

I am always pleasant and the outcome is usually reasonable considering
You should teach a class... The Dale Carnegie Rules for Talking The Police Out of 100MPH Speeding Tickets.
Drive w consideration and get a great traffic lawyer

Interesting enough the older I get the less I get pulled over

When I do I am extremely nice and I take it as gracefully as possible
      08-23-2020, 04:04 PM   #73
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Quote:
I don't really care what you believe

Perception is reality

Sure. My perception is BS meter is pegged.

But maybe out West in Wyoming on I90 where the speed limit is 80...

Maybe you cant believe it because you haven't been kind enough to receive any grace during your traffic stops
      08-23-2020, 05:02 PM   #74
Kiefermeister
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan

NJ state troopers and their uniform used to scare the shit out of me. lol. Traumized. I've lived in NY, NJ, CA and PA. Only state I've been pulled over multiple times is NJ. And it's like they just can't give out one ticket. It's always something in addition to. It's a huge business for the state. I've never seen so many variety of unmarked trooper cars and SUVs. I think there are chargers, Tahoes, Explorers etc. Why do you figure taxes are so damn high in NJ. Good luck with fighting the tickets. I went to court on my own and DA reduced mine to fees only, and dismissed all the points for my speeding, license plate frame covering my state name. I was stoked with that. Saw another case that went before me where the guy pleaded not guilty for running a red light and he got crucified by the judge. lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 05:25 PM   #75
ECTO1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31

To the OP sounds like your doing all the right things you can. I think what hurt you was trying to reason with the officer on the side of the road. In my personal experience better to just play it cool then go to court and fight it out there. The one thing you do have going for you is a lot of departments are under the microscope right now with all the BLM stuff and trying to clean up there acts so maybe just maybe it may work in your favor.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 05:28 PM   #76
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

If you had a dash cam, i'm sure the trooper would've said have a nice day and move on with his life.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 07:20 PM   #77
Peterglen
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingZeroX5 View Post
If you had a dash cam, i'm sure the trooper would've said have a nice day and move on with his life.
I think so as well.

Anyone have a recommendation for a good inside outside unit?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 07:50 PM   #78
Solidjake
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Poland
Rep
Drives: '13 328i Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterglen View Post
I think so as well.

I have this

https://www.thedashcamstore.com/blac...ront-and-rear/

with this card

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0887P21Z2...ing=UTF8&psc=1

No issues with that combo. For parking I have two B-124 battery packs for 50hrs of record time.

Apex SM-10/DWS06+ | 400m/X-ice Xi3 | Injen Exhaust | Stoptech SS Lines | 335 Front Brakes
Hawk HPS 5.0 | RBF600 | ER Charge Pipes | Wagner Evo Comp 2 FMIC
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 07:54 PM   #79
MisterF80M3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Did you request the body-worn video or vehicle recording?

There should be a public records request like this on their website:

https://www.miamidade.gov/police/lib...quest-form.pdf
      08-23-2020, 08:21 PM   #80
kring
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 M550i Dinan S1, 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post
This is NOT a smart thing to do. The last thing you want to do in this situation is speed up (or slow down)! I can imagine the Trooper thinking "look at this asshole speeding up right in my face!" He likely took your action as a sign of disrespect. I suggest anyone in this position set your cruise control so your speed is locked and make sure you stay centered in your lane.

I've been here more than once... They're running your plate. If you're clean and serene they'll pull around you and be on their way without issue.
Well I was young, - but also not exaggerating - it was not possible he was running plates, he ran into me, can't see the plates that close.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 08:51 PM   #81
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

I'm a big proponent of law enforcement, but I dislike traffic officers quite a bit. I've encountered some good ones but also dealt with very nasty unhinged ones.

Ohio state troopers can go suck one btw.
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN13117.00
      08-23-2020, 11:59 PM   #82
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
I'm a big proponent of law enforcement, but I dislike traffic officers quite a bit. I've encountered some good ones but also dealt with very nasty unhinged ones.

Ohio state troopers can go suck one btw.
My good doctor friend of mine just moved away from Ohio

He owns a GTR and said exactly the same as you

Complete A-Hole Highway Patrol
      08-24-2020, 05:18 AM   #83
Peterglen
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterF80M3 View Post
Did you request the body-worn video or vehicle recording?

There should be a public records request like this on their website:

https://www.miamidade.gov/police/lib...quest-form.pdf
I contacted troop Cs barracks which happened to be the officers home barracks, and asked about how to file a complaint. They put the SGT on after a few minutes. I explained the situation and the guy was able to download both right then and there. He reviewed about 10 min of the interaction and gave me the info to file a complaint with IA. The tone in his voice when he returned to give me IAs info was very telling. He seemed surprised. But IA on the other hand... did not seem thrilled or motivated at all...
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 05:21 AM   #84
Peterglen
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
I have this

https://www.thedashcamstore.com/blac...ront-and-rear/

with this card

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0887P21Z2...ing=UTF8&psc=1

No issues with that combo. For parking I have two B-124 battery packs for 50hrs of record time.

That looks really good. Thanks!
Appreciate 1
Solidjake945.00
      08-24-2020, 08:52 AM   #85
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Maybe you cant believe it because you haven't been kind enough to receive any grace during your traffic stops
You mean like when pulled over at night I immediately turn on my interior lights, roll down my window, have my wallet on the dashboard, and keep my hands visible on the steering wheel until the LEO walks up to my window and asks to see my license etc.? I'm always nice to the police officer and courteous, since I KNOW I was speeding. At my age now, I don't waste my time fighting speeding tickets because 100% of the time I am speeding and radar is highly accurate.

In the instance I pointed out about not riding with my license. I took my motorcycle out to just warm it up since I had to start the engine to get it back in the garage. You need to understand I live in a rural county so there is little traffic at any time of the day and 20 minutes you can rip off a good 17 miles. So I decided to go on an extended run. I was in shorts and a tee shirt since I had been working in the yard all day (I never ride in shorts unless I'm just going down the road and back, which is five miles).

The county sheriff's office had set up a check-point checking for drivers licenses. So I pulled over and said, "You're not going to like me very much". He replied, " Oh? Why not?" I said "I'm sorry, I don't have my license on me, but I have my registration." He wrote the ticket and said "If you can get back here in a half hour (before we leave), I'll tell the judge you produced the license and he'll drop the charge; you'll not even need to come to court." And that's how it played out.

He was the same Deputy that dropped a reckless driving down to a seatbelt violation 5 months later.

So yeah, I know the drill as much as you do.
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2020, 08:59 AM   #86
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Those are tight too. That really must have been something to see!
It was very impressive; just a beautiful move. The NJ State Police must practice that move all the time.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 12:11 PM   #87
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

Quote:
I think so as well.

I've been using DDPAI mini 3 for a few years now.

I have an extra one that I can sell you, took it off my F80 since lease return.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 03:10 PM   #88
Peterglen
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Update!!!!!!!

Tickets dropped!!!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 8
jmg18493.00