BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Next Generation WRX Rumors

08-18-2020, 01:56 PM   #23
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
To be fair, you need to specify the STi. The WRX has been running the FA20 for 5 years now.

If the styling is less Civic Type R, and the power/performance numbers are there I'll likely buy one next fall. Well, and hopefully it doesn't have the painful lag on top super short gearing they have had forever as well.

High load, low RPM is bad for any engine.

But from what I understand, most Subaru's blow up because guys put shitty tunes on them, beat them like a rented mule, and then wondered why they had a problem.
The EJ engine is internally flawed in design. It’s basically a guaranteed failure due to the design, not necessarily catastrophic early on, but not capable of the long haul either. Plenty of good videos on this (and some poor ones). The best I saw was a complete engine tear down.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 01:59 PM   #24
ga9213
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
High load, low RPM is bad for any engine.

But from what I understand, most Subaru's blow up because guys put shitty tunes on them, beat them like a rented mule, and then wondered why they had a problem.
My last STI was a 2011 that I had purchased new and at that time there were a good number of guys having ringland failures with stock tunes.

I was running a slightly tweaked OTS map from Cobb for a Stage 1 at the time...didn't need anything major changed so I didn't fiddle with it much.

Of course I wasn't putting it in those high load low RPM conditions. However this was certainly at the time when calcium content in oils was a BIG thing as it had fantastic cleaning power...so I suspect LSPI was a very real problem for a lot of owners, regardless of the tune...if they weren't driving it appropriately.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 02:18 PM   #25
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
The EJ engine is internally flawed in design. It’s basically a guaranteed failure due to the design, not necessarily catastrophic early on, but not capable of the long haul either. Plenty of good videos on this (and some poor ones). The best I saw was a complete engine tear down.
The issue with using a boxer engine is that Subaru is limited to going oversquare when increasing displacement as there's limited room in the engine bay to increase stroke. While oversquare (most modern designs are undersquare for torque and reliability) is great for racing engines it's less durable in the long run and more susceptible to detonation. This is one of the reasons the EJ257 is such a fragile engine. Three of us at work owned EJ257 equipped vehicles and my 2013 STI was the only one that didn't require rebuild/replacement as another STI (COBB tuned) and WRX (stock) both required engine replacement. The one guy in purchasing used to keep the cracked piston out of the STI on his desk as a reminder of why he wouldn't buy another Subaru lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 02:27 PM   #26
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
You guys just bought the wrong cars .

Subaru died with the 2005 STi.
Appreciate 2
RM72892.50
wdb4716.50
      08-18-2020, 02:32 PM   #27
9M71
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

I had a 2015 and 2017 WRX (FA20 engine in both). Loved the car, and met a lot of new friends from the scene, a handful which i still hang out with today and all have graduated to more "mature" vehicles.

HOWEVER, not sure if i want the typical 16 year old who just got his permit, vape bro, to be behind the wheel of a 400hp WRX. There are some mature folks in the subaru scene but a lot more immature ones who dont realize the consequences of their actions.

Lastly, the VQ scene is even worse. And those are only getting more powerful as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 04:19 PM   #28
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9M71 View Post
I had a 2015 and 2017 WRX (FA20 engine in both). Loved the car, and met a lot of new friends from the scene, a handful which i still hang out with today and all have graduated to more "mature" vehicles.

HOWEVER, not sure if i want the typical 16 year old who just got his permit, vape bro, to be behind the wheel of a 400hp WRX. There are some mature folks in the subaru scene but a lot more immature ones who dont realize the consequences of their actions.

Lastly, the VQ scene is even worse. And those are only getting more powerful as well.
I'm sure it'll see a comparable price increase that'll keep the 16 year olds away from it just fine.
      08-19-2020, 09:46 AM   #29
W12x
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, Z/28, Evo Final Edition

400HP with 3500lbs isn't bad, especially with a proper 6MT.

If it indeed uses a 2.4L turbo then I suspect next gen BRZ/86 will use the non-turbo version of that engine, or at least share major components with it.

However it will never look anything close to the concepts, I hope I'm wrong tho lol

Had a 2015 STI Launch, great car to drive, but a little on the stiff side even compared to other more performance oriented cars, and god Subaru change the interior please
      08-19-2020, 10:06 AM   #30
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

I miss my 2006 WRX that I thought was a rocket ship at the time.
Appreciate 0