BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Why Don't People Floss Their Teeth and Go to the Dentist?

07-01-2016, 06:52 PM   #1
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Why Don't People Floss Their Teeth and Go to the Dentist?

I admit, I'm a stickler for teeth. Straight, white, and good breath are a must for me. I go to the dentist 3 times/yr and have done that since I've been 5. My parents never let me skip and I started loving the dentist.

But still, I notice so many people even in professional roles (Fortune 30 company) with the nastiest, yellow/orange, coffee stained, crooked, plaque ridden teeth I can imagine.

Just today I'm sitting there talking to another director and he's got visible plaque between his teeth. Occasionally he'll pick at it with a finger nail, but it looks like it'd come off in sheets if you just used a toothpick. It's disgusting. I want to tell him to go to the dentist, but I don't know how.

It's not just limited to men either. I see women with yellow teeth and what looks like gingivitis. It's no wonder their breath smells like a sack of assholes. There is so much rotten food and plaque between their teeth, it's just permeating from their mouth when they talk.

Didn't everyone born after 1980 have braces? We all know about whitening gel, laser whitening, and Sonicare tooth brushes/waterpik/dentist/floss. Why do some people let their teeth go?

Last edited by BayMoWe335; 07-01-2016 at 07:10 PM..
Appreciate 7
      07-01-2016, 06:56 PM   #2
Aatish
Lofty
Rep
Drives: i4 M50, 991.2 C2, RRS Diesel

Some people don't take personal hygiene as seriously as others. I think it's a time/energy thing. I don't floss that often, but I try to brush my teeth after every meal and mouth wash/chew gum multiple times a day.

I meet a lot of people who just don't shower/use soap/wear deo etc. Now that shit baffles me.
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2016, 06:56 PM   #3
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Gotta agree with you. Deal breaker on so many levels.

Health, in general, has taken a massive decline. And it will continue to get worse.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 07:00 PM   #4
nholmes
Track Whore
United_States
Rep
Drives: women wild

I brush and floss more than one time a day, but I drink four cups of coffee every morning so my teeth are stained from it.

I'm already married and not vain so YOLO
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 07:07 PM   #5
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Teeth with style...
Attached Images

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 07:08 PM   #6
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbiage View Post

Health, in general, has taken a massive decline. And it will continue to get worse.
You are right...it DOES seem like it's declining..

How is that even possible? With all the technology and time to make life easier, we should be at the height of personal hygiene. Maybe it's the high sugar diet?

I don't drink coffee or alcohol, but if I did, I'd probably use a straw for coffee and brush my teeth afterward. That shit stains.

I heard one of my colleagues talking about having to get 2 bridges and a root canal. I';m like, how fucked up are your teeth? I brush after every meal and always before bed. These shits don't even always brush before bed according to them.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 07:10 PM   #7
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Teeth with style...
My friend from Belgium. Is the European stereotype true? I know 3 people in my office from London and their teeth are FUCKED up. Another dude from France looks like he's missing a few and a girl from Germany looks like she has gingivitis. I know it's a stereotype in England, but is it really true?
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2016, 07:10 PM   #8
nholmes
Track Whore
United_States
Rep
Drives: women wild

Part of it is genetic, too. Some people are prone to more cavities than others, which can contribute to the appearance of poor hygiene.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amelogenesis_imperfecta
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 07:34 PM   #9
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335
Quote:

You are right...it DOES seem like it's declining..

How is that even possible? With all the technology and time to make life easier, we should be at the height of personal hygiene. Maybe it's the high sugar diet?

I don't drink coffee or alcohol, but if I did, I'd probably use a straw for coffee and brush my teeth afterward. That shit stains.

I heard one of my colleagues talking about having to get 2 bridges and a root canal. I';m like, how fucked up are your teeth? I brush after every meal and always before bed. These shits don't even always brush before bed according to them.
Yeah. Sugar, an era of convenience, and instant gratification have all but eliminated the laborious aspect of activity engagement. I work out twice a day, try and floss once a day, and have never, ever had a cavity.

Bad breath and rotting teeth/plaque just makes me want to vomit in that persons face. Like dude, look in a fucking mirror.

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 07:43 PM   #10
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
My friend from Belgium. Is the European stereotype true? I know 3 people in my office from London and their teeth are FUCKED up. Another dude from France looks like he's missing a few and a girl from Germany looks like she has gingivitis. I know it's a stereotype in England, but is it really true?
Well...All I can say is what I see ..And that's for Europeans and Americans and for the rest of the world !

Fucked up teeth..

1-People who smoke a lot , the longer they smoke the worse teeth look .
2-People all over the drugs , teeth look like bad horse teeth and finally fall out.
3-People without money (final destination)
4-People with dental/dentist phobia => https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dental_fear
5-People who don't give a shit about teeth.

Good looking teeth..

1-People who care about teeth .
2-People with status.
3-People who are born with the right genes and don't smoke.
4-People with money (design teeth)
5-People who are called 4 times a year by the dentist and with money (me included)

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 09:25 PM   #11
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

I floss twice a day and use listerine and my dentist still complains to me about my flossing.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 09:28 PM   #12
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Anybody here still got their wisdoms?

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 09:34 PM   #13
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

brush teeth or FI-Rs...eff that getting those BBS' fam.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 09:36 PM   #14
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1

Quote:
Yea. I'm scared to get them out. They aren't causing any noticiable problems but still recommended to get them out. I keep saying in a few months.

30 and never a cavity.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 09:42 PM   #15
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Who needs nice teeth when there's Photoshop?

I've always been a serious tooth brushing type, but up until 5 or so years ago I never flossed. Then I started having issues with my gums and underwent a quarterly procedure of deep cleaning (not entirely pleasant) and my gums got a lot better. Now I floss nightly just so I don't have to go through that again.

I've had one cavity filled in 45 years and that was only precautionary. Luckily I inherited my Mom's good teeth and not my Dad's crappy ones. Like it was mentioned above, genetics plays a role.

Had my wisdoms (only 3) out as a teenager. One at a time, two weeks apart. Never really bothered me. They just popped right out. My brother had impacted wisdoms and was miserable for days after having them removed. I guess I lucked out.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 09:51 PM   #16
bodega_bladerunner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

I have been to the dentist regularly and irregularly. I personally hate the dentist because they always seem to want to scam you somehow to get that insurance payment. So it's not that I don't want to go or have a fear, it is just that my trust level is low, damn near nonexistent.
Not everyone needs ALL of their wisdom teeth out. However, most dentists love to recommend that shit even if you don't need it. That, and braces. According to them practically everyone needs braces.

The last time I was at the dentist was 2 years ago, and that was to have a extra tooth extracted that I had coming in. I had this done before in 2007 for one that came in on the top. It was a straight forward extraction...guy got some pliers, yanked it out, gave me gauze and prescription, sent me on my way.

This time it was for one on the bottom...this new dentist did almost the same procedure, except that after the extraction with me sitting in the chair blood dripping from my mouth, he tries to tell me I need some extra stuff and wants me to sign papers agreeing to it, all while the blood is pouring from my face. I refused to sign. That seemed totally unacceptable. Since then, I have not been to a dentist.

Don't get me wrong. I have better teeth than most. No cavities, straight, compliments on my smile all the time, they could use a good whitening, but I guess that's up to me. I seldom eat sweets and drink only water, and a cup of coffee here and there at work, brush often, and gargle with H2O2.
My girlfriend, however, is a stickler like some of you guys. So I now have an appointment at her dentist scheduled for this Wednesday
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 10:05 PM   #17
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Trust in your dentist is crucial. We've been to some quacks for sure. Find one you like and stick with him or her. I avoided dentists for years because my gums would always ache for days after a visit. Then I found my current dentist and have never had any lasting discomfort, yet my teeth and gums are in better shape than ever.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 10:58 PM   #18
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: (17 X5M)gone 2018M3CS HERE

I hate the dentist, pain in your mouth and in your wallet, no i dont need bite wing x-rays< i dont give a shit its covered because you say that then i get a bill for 175 dollars later.

Who grows up and says yea i wanna be a dentist, nothing but pain with a side of pain
      07-01-2016, 11:06 PM   #19
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
I admit, I'm a stickler for teeth. Straight, white, and good breath are a must for me. I go to the dentist 3 times/yr and have done that since I've been 5. My parents never let me skip and I started loving the dentist.

But still, I notice so many people even in professional roles (Fortune 30 company) with the nastiest, yellow/orange, coffee stained, crooked, plaque ridden teeth I can imagine.

Just today I'm sitting there talking to another director and he's got visible plaque between his teeth. Occasionally he'll pick at it with a finger nail, but it looks like it'd come off in sheets if you just used a toothpick. It's disgusting. I want to tell him to go to the dentist, but I don't know how.

It's not just limited to men either. I see women with yellow teeth and what looks like gingivitis. It's no wonder their breath smells like a sack of assholes. There is so much rotten food and plaque between their teeth, it's just permeating from their mouth when they talk.

Didn't everyone born after 1980 have braces? We all know about whitening gel, laser whitening, and Sonicare tooth brushes/waterpik/dentist/floss. Why do some people let their teeth go?
First, I understand the value of hygiene and proper smelling breath and teeth.

Second, I would like to provide some perspective on lifestyles potentially outside of your view. Some people were born poor without insurance and never visited a dentist due to their parents not able to pay for even a simple cleaning. Others had to learn that going to a dentist is a normal thing and should be done on a regular basis. Others, potentially made something of themselves (director and above) but never understood the value of such things. Additionally, some cultures do not put the same emphasis on such things.

In short, not everybody was raised how you were nor perhaps were as privileged.

Again, I agree that it's important to maintain your grille but I do not judge others that do not know any better.
      07-01-2016, 11:29 PM   #20
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
No, those should be removed too as they are notorious for harboring bacteria because they are so difficult to properly clean.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 11:31 PM   #21
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenc51 View Post
I have been to the dentist regularly and irregularly. I personally hate the dentist because they always seem to want to scam you somehow to get that insurance payment. So it's not that I don't want to go or have a fear, it is just that my trust level is low, damn near nonexistent.
Not everyone needs ALL of their wisdom teeth out. However, most dentists love to recommend that shit even if you don't need it. That, and braces. According to them practically everyone needs braces.

The last time I was at the dentist was 2 years ago, and that was to have a extra tooth extracted that I had coming in. I had this done before in 2007 for one that came in on the top. It was a straight forward extraction...guy got some pliers, yanked it out, gave me gauze and prescription, sent me on my way.

This time it was for one on the bottom...this new dentist did almost the same procedure, except that after the extraction with me sitting in the chair blood dripping from my mouth, he tries to tell me I need some extra stuff and wants me to sign papers agreeing to it, all while the blood is pouring from my face. I refused to sign. That seemed totally unacceptable. Since then, I have not been to a dentist.

Don't get me wrong. I have better teeth than most. No cavities, straight, compliments on my smile all the time, they could use a good whitening, but I guess that's up to me. I seldom eat sweets and drink only water, and a cup of coffee here and there at work, brush often, and gargle with H2O2.
My girlfriend, however, is a stickler like some of you guys. So I now have an appointment at her dentist scheduled for this Wednesday
Pretty much all dental insurance sucks. Most of them cover around $1500 in work per year and 2 cleanings.

Just pay out of pocket.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 11:32 PM   #22
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Holy shit this thread is funny...just the sack of shit part was good. I got a good laugh reading. Thanks, BayMoWe335 this is better than the hockey thread. Where you been?