BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Any doctors on here?

03-02-2007, 11:43 PM   #1
Alchem
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Any doctors on here?

This is kind of random but, but why do all doctors drive either of these two cars:

1.) A large sedan( S-Class, LS, 7er)
or
2.) A Porsche

I've noticed that most of the doctors i've ment drive those cars.
And almost everyone of them prefer Porsche as a weekend car.

Is it becuase they are afraid that if they drive up the hospital in an F430, it might not look good for the patients?

I mean im sure most doctors can afford a F430 after a little bit of saving.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2007, 11:48 PM   #2
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Doctors make a lot of money but most of them are not rich.
So even though they can afford to drive a Porche or a BMW, most of them cant afford to drive a Ferrari. Besides, most of them probably dont need a Ferrari.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2007, 12:44 AM   #3
CnoteMD
Commander in Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Including myself, there are several physicians on this forum. I can't speak for the others, but I don't have a Ferrari (yet).

As someone else mentioned, not all doctors are "rich". It is very dependent on the specialty. I was fortunate to go into a specialty that should allow such a purchase when the time is right, but many others would never consider driving such a car. Being able to afford a car is a very relative term. Sure, there are a lot of doctors that could make a few adjustments to afford to finance a Ferrari, but most of the people I know would consider a Ferrari as a "toy". Therefore, unless you can purchase the car in cash without any significant impact on your other finances, you can't "afford" it (i.e., no more than 10% of your available funds). That would work out to having an extra $2.5 million sitting around.

In my experience, few physicians fall into the category of car enthusiasts and they are often fairly conservative. The large sedan fulfills the basic desire for comfortable transportation. Also consider that anyone in this line of work has dealt with a great deal of "delayed gratification". Sometimes the things that seemed important or desirable, are much less so when you finally have the means to purchase them.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2007, 01:30 AM   #4
edgarj
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnoteMD View Post
Also consider that anyone in this line of work has dealt with a great deal of "delayed gratification". Sometimes the things that seemed important or desirable, are much less so when you finally have the means to purchase them.

Well said.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2007, 01:35 AM   #5
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
almost all my family friends are doctors... none of them own ferraris... most of them own mercedes or bmws (they're all asian).

i don't think any of them would want to own ferraris... its a bit too extravagant... i mean they're just upper-middle class... dont need to flaunt it tooo much... plus they'd probably critisize the pricing and usability of a ferrari or lambo, etc

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2007, 02:42 AM   #6
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz View Post
almost all my family friends are doctors... none of them own ferraris... most of them own mercedes or bmws (they're all asian).
sounds like a typical asian family

my cousins and i are all pretty much going into different fields of medicine
oldest - physician
next - pediatrician
next - dentist
me - pharmacist

they're all looking into ferraris and hoping to be able to afford it. i think they can if they save up enough. A pharmacist on i-club.com (impreza forum) owns an STi and a F430 so i'm looking forward to life haha
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2007, 05:37 AM   #7
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecC View Post
me - pharmacist
Licensed drug dealer, huh?
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2007, 09:08 AM   #8
CnoteMD
Commander in Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:

oldest - physician
next - pediatrician
next - dentist
me - pharmacist

they're all looking into ferraris and hoping to be able to afford it. i think they can if they save up enough. A pharmacist on i-club.com (impreza forum) owns an STi and a F430 so i'm looking forward to life haha
Of the people you listed, the dentist is probably most likely to get the Ferrari (they don't have as many insurance headaches). Unless the pediatrician becomes specialized, they will be the least likely. I don't know much about pharmacist incomes, but I don't know too many even driving BMW's.

I always find myself telling pre-med and med students, "Do not go into medicine for the money". If so, you will be very disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2007, 02:58 PM   #9
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

I'd say Optometry and Dentistry are good fields to go into.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2007, 03:03 PM   #10
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:

oldest - physician
next - pediatrician
next - dentist
me - pharmacist

nice... my dad is a pediatrition, sister is probably going to be a psychiatrist, and i'm looking for something in the med field... maybe i'll just take my dad's practice

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0