BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Dashcams: Mounting & Power Locations

03-16-2020, 01:57 PM   #23
jeffp1105
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

That was my guess, so this TAOBAO install may be an issue. From the angle of the pic, not sure if that sensor is partially blocked.
      03-17-2020, 12:05 AM   #24
Bigmouth Studio
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffp1105 View Post
That was my guess, so this TAOBAO install may be an issue. From the angle of the pic, not sure if that sensor is partially blocked.
It is not blocking the sensor. The width of the cam same as the original cap of the rain sensor. Also for you guys LHD vehicles, the mirror will be turning to the left side, further expose the sensor towards the front.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 08:07 PM   #25
jeffp1105
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Can anyone tell me if the trim inside the front windshield is more flexible than it feels? Many auto threads suggest using a plastic pry tool to slip the power cord under it, but ours feels too rigid for that. Also, how did you route it from the inside windshield trim around to the A pillar?

Thanks,
Jeff
      03-27-2020, 11:56 AM   #26
Combatcrew2
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4

Found the front fuse box!

The front fuse box is on the right hand side of the car, immaterial of whether it’s a LHD or RHD car! So I was looking behind the glovebox but in actual fact it’s just behind the OBD socket under the steering wheel for me. Fuse F46 is the one. Note! The power stays on for 10 minutes after you switch the car off, I thought it was going to stay on all the time.
The simplest way to fit the cable for the camera is to slip it between the screen and the surround trim, the gap is wide enough. You don’t need to remove trim or prise anything apart.
I will get round to posting some pictures when I get sorted.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2020, 01:29 PM   #27
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatcrew2 View Post
The front fuse box is on the right hand side of the car, immaterial of whether it’s a LHD or RHD car! So I was looking behind the glovebox but in actual fact it’s just behind the OBD socket under the steering wheel for me. Fuse F46 is the one. Note! The power stays on for 10 minutes after you switch the car off, I thought it was going to stay on all the time.
The simplest way to fit the cable for the camera is to slip it between the screen and the surround trim, the gap is wide enough. You don’t need to remove trim or prise anything apart.
I will get round to posting some pictures when I get sorted.
Awesome thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 10:32 AM   #28
Combatcrew2
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

How I hard wired my dashcam

See attachments as 2 separate pages.

Hopefully this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
      07-13-2020, 06:33 PM   #29
Sladester100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d & G29 M40i First Edtn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatcrew2 View Post
See attachments as 2 separate pages.

Hopefully this helps!
This is great! Thanks

How have you got on since install, any issues?

Do you have a parking mode on the cam?
      07-20-2020, 02:52 PM   #30
Combatcrew2
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

No issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sladester100 View Post
This is great! Thanks

How have you got on since install, any issues?

Do you have a parking mode on the cam?
Camera and install is absolutely fine, works exactly as expected. As stated the power stays on for 10 minutes once I have switched off. I can switch on the parking mode on the camera if I need but so far haven’t felt the need.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 01:21 AM   #31
jagi00
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i, X5 3.0 M Sport,X5 45e

I'm thinking of adding a hardwired bulkhead mounted power socket somewhere around the dash area so that I can plug in a radar detector but avoid having the dangly lead down to the console power socket. I can then easily swap the unit between my vehicles. I've had a look online for a suitable part but nothing suitable as yet. Has anyone done this or can suggest a suitable part?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 07:53 AM   #32
Combatcrew2
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagi00 View Post
I'm thinking of adding a hardwired bulkhead mounted power socket somewhere around the dash area so that I can plug in a radar detector but avoid having the dangly lead down to the console power socket. I can then easily swap the unit between my vehicles. I've had a look online for a suitable part but nothing suitable as yet. Has anyone done this or can suggest a suitable part?
I originally ran a plug in camera cable in to the socket in the sliding door. I used the same approach for that cable as shown on my diagrams for the hard wire install. It was very neat and there were no cables dangling. The only reason I changed to the hard wire install was so I could close the sliding door. It takes very little time to run the cable around the screen or remove it without any wiring or fitting of sockets. Interesting the previous Z4s and my 124 spiders all have a 12v sockets under the glove compartment making the job all together easy.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 12:48 AM   #33
jagi00
Private
Rep

I'm thinking of installing a Blackvue cam on my M40i when it arrives next month. I already have a 2 channel Blackvue with the Power Pro box on my X5 to provide power when parked and it has worked well so far.

I doubt that it will be possible to mount a rear view cam on the rear screen so thinking maybe just attach it on the windscreen pointing backwards. It could then possibly catch some some side as well as rear action especially with the top down.

Just some thoughts as without physically checking the car, its all guesswork. Your comments/suggestions will be welcome.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 12:05 PM   #34
Combatcrew2
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

You could possibly mount a small camera in the rollover hoop gap pointing backwards?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 03:42 AM   #35
jagi00
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagi00 View Post
I'm thinking of installing a Blackvue cam on my M40i when it arrives next month. I already have a 2 channel Blackvue with the Power Pro box on my X5 to provide power when parked and it has worked well so far.

I doubt that it will be possible to mount a rear view cam on the rear screen so thinking maybe just attach it on the windscreen pointing backwards. It could then possibly catch some some side as well as rear action especially with the top down.

Just some thoughts as without physically checking the car, its all guesswork. Your comments/suggestions will be welcome.
I have bit the bullet and bought a BlackVue DR900S 2 channel, now I just need a car! I also have the Power Pro box for parking mode monitoring so need access to a permanently on 12V source. I had a look at the fuse map for the fuses under the steering wheel (RHD) but did not find any possibilities though more than happy to be corrected. As an alternative to running a cable from the rear, I assume that there is a +ve terminal for battery charging under the bonnet like on my E89 and X5 So it may be easier to pick up power there and run a cable through the bulkhead to the forward fuse panel area. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regarding the rear camera mounting location, I have just checked it mounted on my E89 windscreen and it looks like like a good possibility as it is very small and unobtrusive plus a short cable to the main unit under the mirror. However, I will have to cut and splice the co-ax as there is nowhere to stow the excess cable length.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 01:45 PM   #36
Sladester100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d & G29 M40i First Edtn

Garage List
Been planning on a dash cam since getting the Zed and found this thread was one of the only places to get some info for the G29

I often overthink things like this spending far too long researching what should be a relatively simple purchase. I had considered primary the size of device as I don’t like things on my screen / in my vision generally, then; how to track the cable, how to connect it, do I need uninterrupted power, parking mode, front and rear or front only and that’s before considering the lens, resolution and +/- HDR!

Then, a couple of weeks ago the wife bought me one for my birthday so that got rid of all that worry ^ (let’s face it, I’ll be happy regardless right :? :roll: :rofl:

So, I ended up being the owner of a Garmin 46 Dash Cam as her requirements were small, unobtrusive and 1080HD. Got to say I’m actually really really impressed. It’s a nice small size and has a great little app to connect.

I wanted to get it fitted before we came away for a week in North Devon in case there was some lovely scenery to capture (currently sheltering from the storm in our holiday farmhouse rental!) so last week I set about installing, I didn’t have time to get the fuse fitting which was my plan to then wire into the fuse box area under the steering wheel but made do with the standard USB fitment (for now).

Comes with a very handy adhesive magnet fitting thing which is great. Managed to track the cable into the plastic trip behind the mirror, up and around the screen and tucked into the end of the dash then along the grooves, under the door rubber and back along the grooves then under the main carpet behind the plastic trim in the foot well and into the sliding storage tray area into the USB there. Overall I’m really happy with it and managed to measure it perfectly to avoid excess cable flapping about...!
Then decided to move the cam slightly which means I needed to ease some more cable back so now it’s hanging slightly which is a bit annoying but I’ll probably adjust after hols)

So here’s the install, overall was quite chuffed;

Pic 1
You can see my initial location magnet here - I’ll deal with removing that another time

Pic 2
Tuck nicely behind the plastic gently (I used the leather key ring that came on my keys!)

Pic 3 (not sure why it’s sideways)
The dash trim grooves lead perfectly to and from the door rubbers

Pic 4
From behind the plastic trim which is removed with 3 plastic screw handles and drops down (be careful of the wires for the footwell lighting, I also didn’t like the cable being so close to the leg airbag area where I put it initially so then ran it round the back just under the main carpet area before putting the plastic trim back on holding it tight.

Pic 5
This is the temporary fix, the only bit that isn’t tight and neat enough for me but will do for now. Might try and stick is down the edge of the trim piece.

Pic 6
End result it smart, subtle enough and (more importantly central.

I moved it as I had placed it out of my sight behind the mirror but as it turns out the Garmin safety data is actually kept up to date via the app, is useful and as it’s a very small device, it doesn’t upset me just below/behind the mirror. Now I can see the alerts it’s giving me (fixed cameras and safety camera van area’s etc) also for anyone that doesn’t have it also does a fair job with lane departure, forward collision warning and a convenient bleep when stationary traffic ahead has moved off! All in pp a decent device. Also my OCD is a bit happier now it’s central as being every so slightly off to the left behind the mirror wasn’t quite right for me :rofl:

Pic 8
General view from behind the wheel and Pic 9 is when I duck down slightly to view any alert it comes up with, so happy with that

To sell it more, it comes with a cool travelapse setting and the ability to take photos using your voice with a simple command, “Ok Garmin, Take a picture” (pic 7)
Attached Images

Last edited by Sladester100; 10-05-2020 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: Edited s it decided to post the pics in a random order
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 02:35 PM   #37
Raesy
Insta @M40i_X3
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 LCI M40i

Thanks for posting this, nice instal. I purchased exactly the same dash cam just a few weeks ago and spent quite some time installing it. The G29 Z4 has been the hardest car yet to instal a dash cam and keep it discreet.

I have placed my dash cam to the near side of the rear view mirror. I run the cable down the near side A pillar, into and down the door rubber seal and then under the glovebox. I then run the cable under the central console trim before going into the back of the arm rest.

I purchased a USB C to A adaptor and plugged it in. It works perfectly, absolutely no wires in view, unless you open the arm rest, however doesn’t intrude on the cup holders.

I’ll take some pictures tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sladester100 View Post
Been planning on a dash cam since getting the Zed and found this thread was one of the only places to get some info for the G29

I often overthink things like this spending far too long researching what should be a relatively simple purchase. I had considered primary the size of device as I don’t like things on my screen / in my vision generally, then; how to track the cable, how to connect it, do I need uninterrupted power, parking mode, front and rear or front only and that’s before considering the lens, resolution and +/- HDR!

Then, a couple of weeks ago the wife bought me one for my birthday so that got rid of all that worry ^ (let’s face it, I’ll be happy regardless right :? :roll: :rofl:

So, I ended up being the owner of a Garmin 46 Dash Cam as her requirements were small, unobtrusive and 1080HD. Got to say I’m actually really really impressed. It’s a nice small size and has a great little app to connect.

I wanted to get it fitted before we came away for a week in North Devon in case there was some lovely scenery to capture (currently sheltering from the storm in our holiday farmhouse rental!) so last week I set about installing, I didn’t have time to get the fuse fitting which was my plan to then wire into the fuse box area under the steering wheel but made do with the standard USB fitment (for now).

Comes with a very handy adhesive magnet fitting thing which is great. Managed to track the cable into the plastic trip behind the mirror, up and around the screen and tucked into the end of the dash then along the grooves, under the door rubber and back along the grooves then under the main carpet behind the plastic trim in the foot well and into the sliding storage tray area into the USB there. Overall I’m really happy with it and managed to measure it perfectly to avoid excess cable flapping about...!
Then decided to move the cam slightly which means I needed to ease some more cable back so now it’s hanging slightly which is a bit annoying but I’ll probably adjust after hols)

So here’s the install, overall was quite chuffed;

Pic 1
You can see my initial location magnet here - I’ll deal with removing that another time

Pic 2
Tuck nicely behind the plastic gently (I used the leather key ring that came on my keys!)

Pic 3 (not sure why it’s sideways)
The dash trim grooves lead perfectly to and from the door rubbers

Pic 4
From behind the plastic trim which is removed with 3 plastic screw handles and drops down (be careful of the wires for the footwell lighting, I also didn’t like the cable being so close to the leg airbag area where I put it initially so then ran it round the back just under the main carpet area before putting the plastic trim back on holding it tight.

Pic 5
This is the temporary fix, the only bit that isn’t tight and neat enough for me but will do for now. Might try and stick is down the edge of the trim piece.

Pic 6
End result it smart, subtle enough and (more importantly central.

I moved it as I had placed it out of my sight behind the mirror but as it turns out the Garmin safety data is actually kept up to date via the app, is useful and as it’s a very small device, it doesn’t upset me just below/behind the mirror. Now I can see the alerts it’s giving me (fixed cameras and safety camera van area’s etc) also for anyone that doesn’t have it also does a fair job with lane departure, forward collision warning and a convenient bleep when stationary traffic ahead has moved off! All in pp a decent device. Also my OCD is a bit happier now it’s central as being every so slightly off to the left behind the mirror wasn’t quite right for me :rofl:

Pic 8
General view from behind the wheel and Pic 9 is when I duck down slightly to view any alert it comes up with, so happy with that

To sell it more, it comes with a cool travelapse setting and the ability to take photos using your voice with a simple command, “Ok Garmin, Take a picture” (pic 7)
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 09:46 AM   #38
Yamatokh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW Z4 M40i

Some photos of your installation would be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raesy View Post
Thanks for posting this, nice instal. I purchased exactly the same dash cam just a few weeks ago and spent quite some time installing it. The G29 Z4 has been the hardest car yet to instal a dash cam and keep it discreet.

I have placed my dash cam to the near side of the rear view mirror. I run the cable down the near side A pillar, into and down the door rubber seal and then under the glovebox. I then run the cable under the central console trim before going into the back of the arm rest.

I purchased a USB C to A adaptor and plugged it in. It works perfectly, absolutely no wires in view, unless you open the arm rest, however doesn’t intrude on the cup holders.

I’ll take some pictures tomorrow.
Hi Raesy

Your description of installation sounds interesting. Would be nice if you can share some photos with us.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 10:41 AM   #39
IvorBMW
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 Z4 M40i

Incredibly useful, I just hardwired a dash cam in my Z4 using your guidance, thank you. I might offer a few tips and these are:
Remove the panel at the side of the dash as it’s easier to feed the cable, which you can just push under the rubber seal.
Get some silicon spray and lightly coat all of the tabs and tangs on the two panels removed. This makes them much easier to replace afterwards and the silicon is easily cleaned off.
Use the same silicon spray on the dash cam cable which will then be easily pushed into gaps in the trim using a blunt tool.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 1
Pprior422.00